• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

MMQB: Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan seem to have a (fiscally conservative) plan in Wa

Call me Ismail

The Rookie
Reaction score
Music to our ears

Link to article

Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan seem to have a (fiscally conservative) plan in Washington

I'm not sure it's going to work, but it's can't be much worse than the old days, when the Redskins won the NFL offseason championship every year but precious little else. Shanahan, the Redskins' coach with the power, and Allen, the new general manager, worked on a long-term plan for the team in their first month on the job and gave it to Snyder just before the Super Bowl. "He said, 'Good. Do what you guys think is best,' '' Allen said Sunday.

And the plan really included keeping the checkbook in the pocket on the first weekend of free agency? Really? Was
No,'' Allen said. "He didn't throw anything at me. And he didn't throw a tantrum. He's fine with it.''

Allen believes is setting a plan for free agency, for instance, and not moving very off it with the emotion of the moment. As with Julius Peppers. Were the Redskins interested in Peppers, the eighth-year Carolina defensive end who signed with Chicago? I believe they were. Absolutely. But I think they were interested in Peppers at a reasonable level of compensation -- say, $10 million a year. When they started hearing how desperate the Bears were for Peppers, I believe the Redskins knew they'd never have a chance at him. Same with several other guys they liked. What we did,'' said Allen, "is when we got the list of free agents with their phone numbers and agent phone numbers from the league [Thursday at midnight], and I highlighted the 40 or 50 we were interested in, and we started calling them. We left messages for some of them, talked to some of them, and told them we were interested. And we'll see where it takes us."

Washington had left tackle Chad Clifton from Green Bay in on Friday, but the Packers kept Clifton with a three-year, $21-million offer -- probably more money and more years than Washington wanted to offer. On Saturday, they settled for a less accomplished but more versatile offensive lineman, Artis Hicks, who has played four of the five line positions in his checkered career. He's 31, with much less wear (and experience) than Clifton.

They re-signed center Casey Rabach. The offensive line and offensive backfield are still positions of major need. But Allen's experience tells him some historically good players with a year or two left -- maybe Thomas Jones, for instance, in the backfield -- will be there when the money is more to their liking. "The music hasn't stopped, and there's still a lot of chairs to be filled,'' Allen said. At least the tune in D.C. is different this year.

This is good news. Remember years ago when started attending auctions, my father told me don't get emotionally attached to a car. Some guys have egos and will pay too much to say they out bid you. He said know what you're willing to pay and stick to it.

It's early, but so far I have to say I'm impressed.

Shanahan, the Redskins' coach with the power, and Allen, the new general manager, worked on a long-term plan for the team in their first month on the job and gave it to Snyder just before the Super Bowl. "He said, 'Good. Do what you guys think is best,' '' Allen said Sunday.

This, right here, is music to my ears.

the fact that they actually have a PLAN is the best thing about this administration vs. the previous one where they were handing out draft picks like they were allergic to them.

I have no opinion other than that this is Allen and Shanahan's show and they'll live/die based on these decisions. I don't think hailing this approach as 'awesome' because it's the 'exact opposite' is necessarily on point. If they went after some high-priced vets, I'd be fine with it as long as it didn't involve tossing draft picks at such players.

Bottom line - we need to improve talent and depth. However we get there, it matters not to me. Until proven otherwise, I'll give Shanny and Allen all the benefit of the doubt.

I have no opinion other than that this is Allen and Shanahan's show and they'll live/die based on these decisions. I don't think hailing this approach as 'awesome' because it's the 'exact opposite' is necessarily on point. If they went after some high-priced vets, I'd be fine with it as long as it didn't involve tossing draft picks at such players.

Bottom line - we need to improve talent and depth. However we get there, it matters not to me. Until proven otherwise, I'll give Shanny and Allen all the benefit of the doubt.

Agreed. I'm just glad to see 'long-term plan.'

I think as Redskins fans, we're so used to being "one player away," we're always expecting to compete right away. The truth of the matter is, this team is NOT going to be competitive this season. Snyder could have gone out and thrown a ton of money at all available free-agents to maybe become competitive this year, but that's not how you build a [successful] team. Its how things were done every year since thedanny bought the team, even when Joe was here. FINALLY, we are building a team correctly - signing key veterans for depth, and building through the draft.

I agree Lanky. Don't mistake my comments as 'pining' for a big free agent spending spree. I'm just saying the lack of one isn't in and of itself a reason for applause. There are lots of ways to build. Like I said - I trust that we're going to see things done in a quality way. I think you guys are dead on, in that the encouraging thing we may be seeing is that there's a plan and a process being followed here that is being driven by whichever the wind happens to be blowing :)

I agree Lanky. Don't mistake my comments as 'pining' for a big free agent spending spree. I'm just saying the lack of one isn't in and of itself a reason for applause. There are lots of ways to build. Like I said - I trust that we're going to see things done in a quality way. I think you guys are dead on, in that the encouraging thing we may be seeing is that there's a plan and a process being followed here that is being driven by whichever the wind happens to be blowing :)

And hopefully we won't see Shanahan trade back for 3 2nd round picks and draft 3 WRs, when we have needs all over the board. :)

think this is for the long haul.... maybe Snyder stays out of it and lets Allen/Shanahan run the show....I'm glad to see this..we will be very competitive in 2010..

a team that finishes 4-12 doesn't look to add 31 and 32 year old free agents to the roster and then guarantee them $15-$20M.

good for the Cardinals that they feel so swell about Joey Porter at 33 that he is worth a multiyear deal for real money.

Arizona is going to find out that Kurt Warner won 3-4 games a year for them over the past 2 years.

Leinert or Derek Anderson will never be in Warner's class.

In DC, the watchword has been short deals for reasonable dollars.

When you are dealing with a shallow free agent class of 30 year old plus veterans that only makes sense.

In other years you would see 26 and 27 year old players on the market, guys that it WOULD make sense to sign for the longer term.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.