• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Memory Foam

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing anyone's experiences using Memory Foam, and specifically which brands/
Are all or most of the brands pretty close in quality ?
Practically every morning, I wake up with extreme pain and soreness in my back, shoulder, and arm muscles, that I did not have the night before.
Is Memory Foam my answer ?

I like it in Florida. Didn't like it when I had to turn the heat on. I have a 4" tempurpedic topper on my bunk on the boat and a sleep number bed at home. Over the years if I start to get achey it's almost always been from sleeping on soft or old mattress. Good luck!

When you're talking about the geography and temperature as factors, is that just in how it relates to the muscles/body - or are you saying there's also a correlation between temperature and the mattress topper ?

We have a pillow top memory foam mattress from IKEA and it is probably the best mattress we have had since our marriage began 20 yes ago. It was surprisingly affordable too!

When you're talking about the geography and temperature as factors, is that just in how it relates to the muscles/body - or are you saying there's also a correlation between temperature and the mattress topper ?
I found it hard to regulate my body temp when in a hot non-ac climate (Caribbean) or in a heated climate (north) . In South Florida I'm on AC 98% of the time. Hate sweating in bed and it seemed to make me sweat under those circumstances moreso than a regular mattress. Just my 2cents

I checked out Tempurpedic, and I checked out competitors. Serta makes one that looks and feels almost exactly the same as Tempurpedic, and it was 1/6 the cost at Sam's Club, so we bought it. Barely a year later, we both regret it. It's shit. We'll be getting a Tempurpedic with our tax return. This seems to be a common reality when I've discussed off brand memory foam with other people. They love it for 1-3 years, then it's garbage. But I know a few people with a Tempurpedic who have had them over a decade and swear it's as wonderful now as the day they bought it.

The pillow topper memory foam has been a waste of money in my experience. They go flat very quickly, and I have spent hundreds on them and the result was the same. If you want a good memory foam mattress that will hold up for a long time, it's gonna cost you $2,500+

I checked out Tempurpedic, and I checked out competitors. Serta makes one that looks and feels almost exactly the same as Tempurpedic, and it was 1/6 the cost at Sam's Club, so we bought it. Barely a year later, we both regret it. It's shit. We'll be getting a Tempurpedic with our tax return. This seems to be a common reality when I've discussed off brand memory foam with other people. They love it for 1-3 years, then it's garbage. But I know a few people with a Tempurpedic who have had them over a decade and swear it's as wonderful now as the day they bought it.

The pillow topper memory foam has been a waste of money in my experience. They go flat very quickly, and I have spent hundreds on them and the result was the same. If you want a good memory foam mattress that will hold up for a long time, it's gonna cost you $2,500+

I don't know man, our IKEA version was under $1k and its 4 yrs old and still feeling like new.

I don't know man, our IKEA version was under $1k and its 4 yrs old and still feeling like new.
Did you get it just to have it as a luxury, or did you get it because you had back problems? I only ask, because it makes a difference. Going from no problems to a better mattress won't suddenly create problems. Then again, maybe IKEA makes a really good mattress. My brother loves his too, but he weighs 110 pounds so his opinion on a mattress means squat to me lol.

If you want a good memory foam mattress that will hold up for a long time, it's gonna cost you $2,500+

I was thinking more in terms of a memory foam mattress topper, rather than a whole memory foam mattress.
Can you not get a similar effect from the mattress toppers ?
Or are those the ones you were talking about, that go flat ? Even if you spend more, and get a quality topper ?

Did you get it just to have it as a luxury, or did you get it because you had back problems? I only ask, because it makes a difference. Going from no problems to a better mattress won't suddenly create problems. Then again, maybe IKEA makes a really good mattress. My brother loves his too, but he weighs 110 pounds so his opinion on a mattress means squat to me lol.

Good point, I don't suffer from much back pain, though I did have many nights of mild discomfort with our old mattress. Also, I am a bit heavier at 185 than his 110!

I was thinking more in terms of a memory foam mattress topper, rather than a whole memory foam mattress.
Can you not get a similar effect from the mattress toppers ?
Or are those the ones you were talking about, that go flat ? Even if you spend more, and get a quality topper ?
I was talking about the mattress itself. The only topper I ever had was a lower end memory foam one, and that was an epic waste of money. If you can get it at Walmart or Target, I can guarantee you it won't be worth a penny of the money you spend on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.