• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Maske - Redskins said to be intent on signing Brian Orakpo to extension

tshile

The Washington Redskins are intent upon extending the contract of linebacker Brian Orakpo, according to a person with knowledge of the team’s plans.

That person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly, said Redskins officials consider Orakpo a key factor in the team’s defensive success and they’re hopeful of striking a deal well before Orakpo would be eligible for free agency next offseason.

It is unclear, however, if the two sides are in active negotiations about a new deal as the Redskins prepare to open training camp this week in Richmond.

Orakpo is entering the final season of his current contract. He said during the offseason that his focus was on making a successful return to the team’s lineup this season and that his prospective free agent status next year was not on his mind.
“I’m not worried about it,” Orakpo said after one offseason practice last month. “I’m concentrating on having a successful season. Everything will take care of itself.”

He was placed on the season-ending injured reserve list after only two games last season because of a torn left pectoral muscle. Orakpo suffered a similar injury in the final game of the 2011 season. The Redskins hope his return as a pass-rushing presence this season makes a major difference in a defense that ranked 30th in the league against the pass last season.

The former first-round draft choice has 29 1/2 sacks in 49 games his four NFL seasons, including 11 sacks as a rookie in 2009. He is a two-time Pro Bowl selection.

He had one sack in his two games last season.

“I don’t think we understood how much we missed 'Rak until we saw him probably that first day of OTAs and saw him get off the ball,” cornerback DeAngelo Hall said during the offseason. “We were watching old film and we were like, 'That’s what we need, 'Rak, every play.’… 'Rak is in a similar situation to myself. He’s playing on a one-year deal. He has a lot to prove. He has to go out there and make plays, prove he can be healthy. We have a lot of guys who are playing with something to prove.”
Redskins said to be intent on signing Brian Orakpo to extension

I want to see Brian in this defense over 16 games before offering him a long-term deal. His next contract is not going to be small and after getting out from under some other big contracts since 2010 it would be wise to pay for demonstrated production.

That's an understandable position. Of course, if he goes out and posts 16 sacks, scores a couple big TD's and storms into the Pro Bowl, he's going to be the NFL equivalent of a max-contract guy and probably NOT inclined to give DC a home team discount.

The Redskins would be smart to watch very carefully how Rak does on the field through camp, preseason and the early parts of the regular season, and make a decision on next year one way or the other BEFORE the man goes on the open market.

Agreed, start talking in the preseason and get something done by Thanksgiving.

But remember with $32M in cap space for 2014 the Redskins are unlikely to be outbid for anyone they deem necessary to keep.

Mara got his yucks in the past two years with us playing with one hand tied behind our backs.

No more.

I've been critical of Orakpo's resigning, but after watching the NFL films review of the season and seeing his team spirit I really want him back.

I want to see Brian in this defense over 16 games before offering him a long-term deal. His next contract is not going to be small and after getting out from under some other big contracts since 2010 it would be wise to pay for demonstrated production.

2009* 23 WAS LLB 98 16 16 11.0 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 38 13 9
2010* 24 WAS ROLB 98 15 15 8.5 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 36 20 9
2011 25 WAS LB 98 16 16 9.0 0 0 0 0 5 3 0 1 0 0 35 25 7

Signing Rak to an extension should be a priority. He IS the team's pass-rush.

Do you ever look at these stats when you post them? They're rarely formatted any better than lsfihdobvdojvdnovdjnvdoiincwppkcnnpcon vdwoivdwovijvoidvoivdhh eouvheoviuhhvoibvdeoiunvd wvqoihvwdoiinhdvwvd685vw468dvw4++6dv84vwd vwdpvwdnovjdwodwnvwdvd46vd56vd54vd.

Jus' sayin. :redface2:

Signing Rak to an extension should be a priority. He IS the team's pass-rush.

yup.

plus, while I understand the economics angle, teams should work to maximize the longevity of their number one picks to realize max return.

I don't think he meant he wants to see him play 16 games.

I think he meant he wants to see him play the next 16 games - as in wait until after the season, coming off injury, and hopefully doing something a little more impressive. But I'm just guessing.

I don't think he meant he wants to see him play 16 games.

I think he meant he wants to see him play the next 16 games - as in wait until after the season, coming off injury, and hopefully doing something a little more impressive. But I'm just guessing.

I'd tend to agree with your interpretation of this.

The downside BT is that the longer we wait, the more its gonna cost. I'd like to see us "maximize the longevity" of one of our top picks to FS. I like that angle.. Like everyone else, I'm just curious to see if Rak can get healthy and stay healthy. Don't like the repetitive or any injuries and doesn't it suck that they always seem to put us in a corner in regards to contracts.

In a perfect world, he rebounds nicely, signs a long term extension and acsends to the upper echelon of pass rushers in the NFL.

Do you ever look at these stats when you post them? They're rarely formatted any better than lsfihdobvdojvdnovdjnvdoiincwppkcnnpcon vdwoivdwovijvoidvoivdhh eouvheoviuhhvoibvdeoiunvd wvqoihvwdoiinhdvwvd685vw468dvw4++6dv84vwd vwdpvwdnovjdwodwnvwdvd46vd56vd54vd.

LOL. I was mostly posting them to be a smartass. Rak has all of a sudden developed a rep as injury-prone after missing one season, and I just don't get it.

I'd tend to agree with your interpretation of this.

The downside BT is that the longer we wait, the more its gonna cost. I'd like to see us "maximize the longevity" of one of our top picks to FS. I like that angle.. Like everyone else, I'm just curious to see if Rak can get healthy and stay healthy. Don't like the repetitive or any injuries and doesn't it suck that they always seem to put us in a corner in regards to contracts.

In a perfect world, he rebounds nicely, signs a long term extension and acsends to the upper echelon of pass rushers in the NFL.

This. Its a catch-22, as it will get more and more expensive the longer and better he plays.

See I don't mind paying more if he's worth it.

What I don't want to do is tie up another 5 years with him and have him underperform.

LOLOLOL!!

LOL. I was mostly posting them to be a smartass. Rak has all of a sudden developed a rep as injury-prone after missing one season, and I just don't get it.

I was being a smartass too! What's not to get dude? He's had the same injury in back to back seasons. He's got to prove that he can get past it.

Did you forget this or are you just ignoring the fact that the same injury ended his season in back to back years? Just because it happened at the end of 2011 doesn't mean it didn't happen.

See I don't mind paying more if he's worth it.

What I don't want to do is tie up another 5 years with him and have him underperform.

Right, but all the cap-savvy teams in the NFL have shown this is not the best way to do business. Just because we have cap space does not mean we should use it all on a few players. Reward your vets with big deals before they hit the open-market, so as not to overpay through the nose. Could it sting us? Sure...but it could also prove to be a great move if it means we can afford several other guys we may not have been able to.

I was being a smartass too! What's not to get dude? He's had the same injury in back to back seasons. He's got to prove that he can get past it.

Did you forget this or are you just ignoring the fact that the same injury ended his season in back to back years? Just because it happened at the end of 2011 doesn't mean it didn't happen.

No, I didn't forget, and I understand the concern. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt though, I guess.

Right, but all the cap-savvy teams in the NFL have shown this is not the best way to do business. Just because we have cap space does not mean we should use it all on a few players. Reward your vets with big deals before they hit the open-market, so as not to overpay through the nose. Could it sting us? Sure...but it could also prove to be a great move if it means we can afford several other guys we may not have been able to.

It's not the best way to do business, as long as you know what you're getting.
I don't know what we're getting with Orakpo. Maybe the front office does - they certainly know better than I do. If they don't, I'd hope they wait instead of rolling the dice.

Extending/resigning players isn't something that exists in a vacuum, it's always case-by-case. Orakpo's case is a very underwhelming career coming off a serious injury he's had problems with for two years now (to be fair it's more like a year and a half or less). He's not a typical first round rookie coming up on the end of their contract that's been performing at the top of his game the whole time. Treating him like such may be a huge mistake. If the front office resigns him early I'm forced to assume they know he's going to be completely healthy and dominate.

But pardon me if I just don't see that at this point in time...

edit: To give you an idea, I'd love to see them resign Trent Williams early. Or Ryan Kerrigan. I'm sure they'll resign Griffin early.
Orakpo... Davis... they haven't proven they're worth it to me. To me it's worth the risk of paying a bit more to wait till the end of the season and make sure you're not buying damaged/bad goods.

No, I didn't forget, and I understand the concern. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt though, I guess.

You're giving him the benefit of the doubt.... there is doubt. And that's why others are stopping just short of labeling him as injury prone. I don't think anyone is dead set against extending him at the right price, but many, like me are leery of locking him up and him reinjuring himself yet again. I agree that we're prolly gonna have to take the risk in order to not get in a bidding war... but I fully understand that there is a legitimate risk here.

Hopefully his play proves this all moot. :cheers:

That's an understandable position. Of course, if he goes out and posts 16 sacks, scores a couple big TD's and storms into the Pro Bowl, he's going to be the NFL equivalent of a max-contract guy and probably NOT inclined to give DC a home team discount.

The Redskins would be smart to watch very carefully how Rak does on the field through camp, preseason and the early parts of the regular season, and make a decision on next year one way or the other BEFORE the man goes on the open market.

Couldn't we just franchise him then? I don't think we're using that on anyone right now.

Franchising normally pisses off the player though. If you're interested in a long term relationship with the player it's probably not a good idea.

If you're just trying to force him to play one more year it works.

That's just my understanding though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.