• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Marty Hurney - Executive VP of Player Personnel

SilentThreat

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

More details to come.

Edit: 1/22

Last edited:
Can’t say I’m a fan of this move honestly. May as well be the Potomac Panthers

I started out that way, and I tend to agree... but this move might be a bit different.

I've been beating the drum for Kyle Smith, but it's been pointed out numerous times that he's young, and inexperienced. JP Finlay was on The Sports Junkies this morning and talked about the fact that Hurney and Rob Rogers (Senior VP of Football Administration) have a long time relationship from their time in Carolina. Rogers is the guy who handles all the contracts and negotiations. That's something Kyle Smith to this point has not been a part of. Eric Schaeffer was the cap guy prior to Rogers.

As Boone pointed out in the other thread, Hurney is 65 so how long is he actually going to be in that position? This could be a transition hire, a short term guy who Rivera has worked with that can groom a guy like Kyle Smith to be able to do all the other things needed by the GM, beyond just player evaluation.

Can’t say I’m a fan of this move honestly. May as well be the Potomac Panthers

We heard the same criticism when Rivera brought coaches with him. All we did was improve in almost every area and make the playoffs.

That pill would be easier to swallow knowing Kyle is being groomed for the future. Thing is though what if KS gets a complete control offer sometime elsewhere and accepts?

Was kinda warming up to the Titans guy Cowden as well, just not ANOTHER panther. From early indications, Hurney’s track record with dead cap and late round misses isn’t anything to get excited about.

that's fair...

I don't think Kyle Smith could get a 'complete control' scenario here, so it may all be a moot point anyways.... we may not even have what he ultimately wants so WFT is not in his future regardless of the team's side of things.

We don't really know.

And I get that, for whatever reason Kyle just isnt in RR’s plans at GM. It is what it is. But hiring the same people that got you fired from your last gig at every turn doesn’t make sense to me.

As Boone pointed out we improved 4 games and statistically across the board. However, Jay Gruden & Joe Barry. Time will always tell but this hire looks pretty cruddy to me. Younger potential was there for the taking and RR stuck with familiar.

He has no experience as a GM. I think we all assume other teams will be beating down Smith’s door offering him full authority GM positions. Is that really realistic?

I think all of us are tainted by the ‘losses’ of McVay and LaFleur and we are seeing (or will see) that both guys have their strengths and weaknesses and are not magic fixes. Don’t get me wrong,I’d have loved to have the Sean McVay era HCing career start in DC. But sometimes things just don’t work out.

To reiterate that... I don't believe ANY team has asked for permission to interview Kyle Smith to this point while at the end of the regular season there were (if I'm remembering correctly) 7 open positions that were actively being hired for.

Hmmm, looks like they are not done. We don't know the full scope of the new front office yet. Also, is it so bad to be Panthers North? The Bills are doing that - and are in a good position now.

Hmmm, looks like they are not done. We don't know the full scope of the new front office yet. Also, is it so bad to be Panthers North? The Bills are doing that - and are in a good position now.

it is an interesting though... what held Carolina back? Cam?

That team has had some legit talent come through there, and Rivera walked in here and seemingly changed the direction of this franchise. Why was Carolina's results so tepid if / when they have such capable management?

Newton absolutely crippled the Panthers his last few seasons in Carolina.

People at the top of organizations who move to new opportunities frequently bring in others from their past whom they respect and work well with.

Rivera has been here long enough to have determined what it is he wants that is not already in-house.

I respect him and am accepting of whatever decision he makes involving organizational structure.

Interesting stuff...

I think a lot hinges on what happens with Kyle Smith. Could be Smith stays in some kind of enhanced role and continues driving draft selections, with Hurney breaking ties? That could also be more wishful thinking. But if it is Hurney making picks - doesn't have a bad recent track record.

Only 4 of those names are post 2012, that’s Vinnyesque. I’m still failing to see what this guy brings to the table honestly

He was only with the Panthers a very limited time after his first stint Win.

Only 4 of those names are post 2012, that’s Vinnyesque. I’m still failing to see what this guy brings to the table honestly

his second stint in Carolina was only 2018-2020. He was gone from 2012 - 2017

Anyone wondering why we haven't heard an announcement yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.