• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Martin Mayhew Named GM

SilentThreat

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

Update:

Mayhew is the new GM of the Washington Football Team.

looks like Russell was right...

The other thing is this very likely means Kyle Smith's time win Washington is done.

Last edited:
I don’t think they’re hiring guys with a ‘we’ll figure out who does what later’ mentality :) Hurney is clearly going to be the GM. What the parameters of Mayhew’s role will be remains to be seen, but guarantee there’s no question about pecking order. That would have to be already established.

I am most curious about why Mayhew would want to come to DC unless it’s just about money, or they have a handshake deal he’ll succeed Hurney in a couple years (and I think if they loved his prospects on that front, he’d get the job outright). As with most things in DC - who the hell knows what this all means, lol...

I don’t think they’re hiring guys with a ‘we’ll figure out who does what later’ mentality :) Hurney is clearly going to be the GM. What the parameters of Mayhew’s role will be remains to be seen, but guarantee there’s no question about pecking order. That would have to be already established.

I know I know, I just changed it.

Well, watch them name Mayhew the GM and Hurney to some support role :doh1:

Hurney is 65 years old. My guess is he is a transitional figure helping Ron recover with a title GM. Mayhew may end up the Ass't GM and the heir apparent in a year or two when Marty exits. Just my two cents.

I hope Dan Snyder and his little Pat Fischer belt buckle was nowhere near this decision. I don't know if it's a good move or a terrible one, but I sort of hate that we're bringing in someone from our 'storied past'. I'd rather rob the Panther's past if I'm being honest.

The official press release...

For Immediate Release January 22, 2021
PRESS RELEASE

Washington Football Team Names Martin Mayhew General Manager LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Football Team announced today that they have named Martin Mayhew as General Manager. Mayhew will report directly to Head Coach Ron Rivera.

Mayhew joins Washington with 20 seasons of NFL experience as an executive, including eight seasons as the general manager of the Detroit Lions. He returns to the franchise that he played for from 1989-92 and was a member of the Super Bowl XXVI team.

“Martin is a proven general manager who will bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to the organization,” said Head Coach Ron Rivera. “He will be an integral part of running the daily football operations and will allow me the opportunity to focus more on coaching. He impressed both myself and Mr. Snyder during the interview process and we both believe he will be a tremendous fit here. He is a man of high character and integrity and was part of the rich history and tradition of this great franchise as a member of the Super Bowl championship team in 1991.”

Martin Mayhew spent the previous four season with the San Francisco 49ers, most recently as the club’s vice president of player personnel. He held the position of senior personnel executive for the franchise from 2017- 18. Mayhew assisted first-time general manager John Lynch and was a major contributor for a personnel department that was vital in the team’s Super Bowl appearance in 2019.

Prior to joining San Francisco, Mayhew spent the 2016 season as the director of football operations/special projects with the New York Giants. In his role with the Giants, he worked on all aspects of the salary cap, CBA compliance and player contract negotiations.

Prior to his time in New York, Mayhew spent 15 years (2001-15) in the Detroit Lions organization, including the final seven as the team's general manager. He took over as the general manager following Detroit’s winless season and oversaw the building of a roster that resulted in a 10-win season in 2011 and an 11-win season in 2014.

During Mayhew’s tenure as Lions general manager, he was responsible for the draft selections of Pro Bowlers QB Matthew Stafford, DE Ezekiel Ansah and DT Ndamukong Suh. Suh was a four-time Pro Bowler and three- time First Team All-Pro selection with Detroit and was the 2010 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. Mayhew was also responsible for signing WR Golden Tate and S Glover Quin in free agency, both of whom went on to earn Pro Bowl honors in Detroit.

Mayhew first joined the Lions organization in 2001 as the senior director of football administration/staff counsel and was promoted to senior vice president of football administration/staff counsel in 2003.

Mayhew was appointed senior vice president and assistant general manager in 2004. In 2008, Mayhew was promoted to general manager. He was appointed senior vice president and assistant general manager in 2004. In 2008, Mayhew was promoted to general manager.

Mayhew played nine seasons in the NFL and was originally selected by the Buffalo Bills in the 10th round (262nd overall) in the 1988 NFL Draft. During Mayhew’s nine-year career, he appeared in 118 games (107 starts) for Buffalo (1988), Washington (1989-92) and Tampa Bay (1993-96) and notched 473 tackles, 21 interceptions, 1.0 sack and four forced fumbles. He started at cornerback for the Super Bowl XXVI champion Washington Redskins.

Mayhew is a native of Tallahassee, Fla. and graduated from Florida State University with a degree in business management and also holds a law degree from Georgetown University. At Florida State, he lettered in both football and track. Mayhew interned for Washington’s personnel department in 1999 while in law school at Georgetown. He also held labor and legal department internships with the NFL League Office before joining the Detroit Lions.

MAYHEW FOOTBALL TIMELINE
2021: 2019-20: 2017-18: 2016: 2008-15: 2004-07: 2003: 2001-02: 2000: 1999: 1993-96: 1989-92: 1988:
General Manager, Washington Football Team
Vice President of Player Personnel, San Francisco 49ers
Senior Personnel Executive, San Francisco 49ers
Director of Football Operations/Special Projects, New York Giants
General Manager, Detroit Lions
Senior Vice President and Assistant General Manager, Detroit Lions
Senior Vice President of Football Administration/Staff Counsel, Detroit Lions Senior Director of Football Administration/Staff Counsel, Detroit Lions Labor Operations and Legal Intern, National Football League
Personnel Intern, Washington Redskins
Cornerback, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Cornerback, Washington Redskins
Cornerback, Buffalo Bills
-WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM
ESTABLISHED 1932-

Last edited:
I hate the bit about Snyder having a role in this, although I recognize that Rivera reports to the man and has no choice but to navigate the waters he has chosen to swim in at Ashburn.

if Snyder had even a shred of awareness, that he is perceived by fans and most objective observers as the #1 reason this org has been mostly a disaster for decades, he wouldn’t even have involved himself in this process.

But I think he likely rejects responsibility for any of this organization’s failures, even if he does recognize how he is viewed.

This kind of hire, title aside, would’ve been a perfect opportunity to say ‘Coach Rivera is responsible for building this front office and I have total trust and faith in his ability to do so’. The ‘GM’ will report to Rivera. In what way does that require Dan Snyder’s (the guy whose latest brainstorm was to waste a 1st round draft pick on Dwayne Haskins against the wishes of his head coach, personnel executive, and the entire scouting department) involvement?

It doesn’t. Snyder will never learn. And Snyder will never change.

It's not that big of a deal. Mayhew needed to be interviewed for the GM position so the team could not be blocked from making contact (as a lateral) or have SF ask for draft pick compensation to have him join the team.

All of the football operations people report to Rivera so they can call them 'Thing 1' and '2' for all I care.

What's important is not the title but what the people are actually doing.

Belichick and Reid have had similar operational structures for years. So has Pete Carroll.

It seems the press is more worried about the hallowed traditions of official NFL team org char structure than NFL clubs are these days :)

***Edited to reflect acceptable values some time after 1955***

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, Bulldog droppin the knowledge til we decided we're calling high level executives names.

Bulldog, i'm starting to wonder if you're buying in a little bit... just still mad as hell at your ex-girlfriend :D

Last edited:
I don't know if this is hyperbole, or if Chick is tuned in a little bit with his history, but it looks like he believes this was strictly a Rivera move.

Chick is a fun follow on Instagram. We argue A LOT, but he is always there talking shit and sports.

Two things.

No one in this thread (yet) has suggested Snyder had anything to do with the hires. The team opens itself up to that kind of speculation by openly revealing Snyder participated in the interviewing process. The issue I pointed out is that Snyder could’ve insured there wasn’t even the appearance of it - and yet he’s too stupid to take that opportunity.

It would be understandable were this a traditional GM role where that individual would be reporting to the Owner directly. In this case there was no need for Snyder to be involved and yet he couldn’t help but insert himself into the process.

Secondly, we can’t be having folks toss around racially-charged monikers here, even if not intended to be read as such. So I’m going to do something I rarely do and that’s edit a members post without their permission.

Last edited:
The danger with Snyder comes not in the selection of a GM or player personnel VP or assistant coach, etc.

It comes in the selection of a franchise quarterback in the draft or the attempt to trade for a veteran like Matt Stafford or Deshaun Watson.

That's where Snyder is likely to want to be in the room for the discussions and resolution to move forward, and knowing how he gets excited about trades and high profile moves I wouldn't be surprised if he urged Rivera on to make a BIG trade to acquire a QB to create buzz for the 2021 season.

While a trade for a veteran may in fact be the best FOOTBALL decision for Washington, Snyder is likely to favor a deal where we give up our #1 pick for the next 5 years :devilish:

It's THAT type of lunacy Snyder always seems to bring into the room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.