• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Mac Jones Thread. Where will he go in the draft?

That is where I am at, too. If we were one piece away, sure. But, I don't want to just win a few games and then hes gone.

I disagree that Fitzpatrick doesn’t bring more to the table that Allen or Heinicke. The guy is a baller and a play maker. His downside of course is that he turns from Fitzmagic to Fitztragic at times. He has the skill set to be able to throw for 400yds and 4 TDs every game. I’m not sure you can confidently say that about the other guys. He is a fantastic short term QB for anyone wanting to win now and he’s probably be cheap.

But the real question here is if the Team ready to win right now or still building. Is it worth a 1 year rental who lights up the box score but ends up in a 1st or 2nd round playoff loss and a reset at QB next year vs having a QB you can build with the team. Also, does he fit the style of the offense and will he do what is needed. I’m not a QB guru so I don’t know the answer to that question. And lastly, does he fit in with the team. That’s one thing we saw with Heinicke. The team rallied around him and guys like Chase Young loved him. So there is that to consider as well.

That's fair but over the 17 game regular season plus the playoffs, does Fitz legitimately give you a better shot at winning than the other two guys? On a game by game basis he might, but like you said... he could go 400 / 4tds one game then go 198 / 4 INTs another game, and he's likely to only be here 1 or 2 years max. Can you look at this team and tell me that Fitz gives you a better chance at winning a SuperBowl? If you're not trying adding pieces that can help you win a ring, why add them? I don't have that feeling with him, others might and I very well may be wrong. Yes he MIGHT account for 1 or 2 wins this year that the other two would not, but are those 1 or 2 wins enough to propel the team? We have a BRUTAL schedule next year, including all 4 teams that played in the conference championships.

That's fair but over the 17 game regular season plus the playoffs, does Fitz legitimately give you a better shot at winning than the other two guys? On a game by game basis he might, but like you said... he could go 400 / 4tds one game then go 198 / 4 INTs another game, and he's likely to only be here 1 or 2 years max. Can you look at this team and tell me that Fitz gives you a better chance at winning a SuperBowl? If you're not trying adding pieces that can help you win a ring, why add them? I don't have that feeling with him, others might and I very well may be wrong. Yes he MIGHT account for 1 or 2 wins this year that the other two would not, but are those 1 or 2 wins enough to propel the team? We have a BRUTAL schedule next year, including all 4 teams that played in the conference championships.

To me, Fitzpatrick is the guy you bring in while you groom your guy. Basically what the Dolphins did, except they went to Tua too soon. Fitzpatrick came back in to win games for them. What the Dolphins did was the worst case scenario with that configuration. I don’t think they expected to win like they did. And now they have doubts about Tua because he played too soon. I’m not sure Fitzpatrick would work here unless you can draft a guy like Mac Jones. (See, I’m getting us back on topic). If you are sticking with Allen and Heinecke, I agree you should only bring in a big upgrade at the position. Jones is a possibility as well, but with the other 2, I think everyone would expect Jones to play sooner rather than later.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

There is no guarantee if Washington goes with Allen and Heinicke and makes no other moves at quarterback that necessarily sets them up for better success in the future.

Finding a way to win more games in 2021 and building off 2020 even if it is with a transitional figure at qb like Fitzpatrick is progress.

Antonio Gibson, Terry McLaurin, Logan Thomas, etc. need some help on offense - especially a #2 WR, a second TE and depth on the offensive line.

By signing Fitzpatrick and then addressing these other issues to me yields a much better overall team.

And if like Sean McVay we end up after 2021 looking for an upgrade at QB with the rest of the team ready to go to the Super Bowl, then how is that being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

The other option is to be aggressive and take a franchise qb in Round 1 of the draft and not wait to see what falls to us at #19 or in free agency.

Both approaches have advantages.

Fitzpatrick is a 38 year old journeyman QB. He has never been known to be the mentoring type, nor has he ever stuck around on any one team long enough to really succeed. he has great flashes and some team looking to excite the fanbase is going to swoop him up.

but, what he can really teach our QBs?

we either find a QB with long-term potential to add to the roster this off-season or we don’t. I think if they thought we had that guy we wouldn’t be looking at a guy like Stafford. If they sign someone like Fitzmagic I don’t think it’s to mentor, it’s because we feel we aren’t solving the QB issue this year and they are just looking at available guys who give us the best chance to win in 2021.

To talk about the original subject of the thread.... I'm starting to think that if Jones is there at 19 we take him, but I don't think he's there. A few weeks ago I didn't really feel that way.

If it was me I don't know that I do that, but I also have my own opinions about schematically what I want to see and that differed quite a bit from what we saw on the field last year so that obviously plays a role.

I think the Patriots take Mac Jones at 15 which will have a ripple effect across the draft. Chris Simms is throwing major wrenches into the coverage of the Draft with his rankings this morning so a lot can change over the the next ~2 months and that's not even accounting for players that COULD be on the move like Watson / Wilson / Darnold / Mariota/Carr / surprise cut/trade to save cap space.

JP said 5 teams reached out for Watson and we were NOT one of them.

I don't think we are as desperate for a big named QB as everyone would like us to be.

JP said 5 teams reached out for Watson and we were NOT one of them.

I don't think we are as desperate for a big named QB as everyone would like us to be.

John McClain was on JP's show and was asked if the name WFT has come up and he said no. He's plugged in but he's also not with the team so he's just going by what he's 'heard'

I would venture to guess you're right, that they're not willing to spend beyond a certain point based on their evaluation of a player. Rivera may have reached out and the response was some stupid number and he basically told them to suck eggs so since we've proven to not be 'interested,' whoever is talking to McClain is not talking about us.

We have clearly been in on QBs that we WANT with a value applied. It's come out we offered a 1st and a 3rd for Stafford so we're interested in upgrading the position, but not sacrificing the team to do so.

The thing about Watson is if you have to give up 3 first round picks PLUS a player, you're setting him up to fail. When you get Watson, he's got a good cap number this year, but he jumps to $40 mil next year. Even if the cap jumps more than 10% next year, he's still taking up over 20% of your cap. You then have to figure out how to retain talent around him with a limited cap number. ON TOP OF THAT you dont have your next 3 first round picks to bring in quality talent on inexpensive rookie deals. It's one thing to have drafted Watson and signed him to a $40 mil deal because you can use those 3 first round picks to grab WRs / OT / DEs to come in on inexpensive rookie deals for 5 years and fill those specialty positions at non - NFL vet type prices. You can re-load those premium positions cheap. When you can't pay your OT or WR big money because your QB is taking up cap space and you're trying to figure out those replacements with 2nd / 3rd round rookies or 2nd / 3rd tier free agents you're screwed.

I am supremely in the camp of not going after Watson. If we some how shock the world and he comes in and succeeds and leads this team to some level of sustained success I'll be shocked.

I think we were in on Stafford, but that has now "linked us" to every other QB who might be traded or whatever out there.

Its like eating sheep poop. Do it ONE TIME and suddenly every time you're around a sheep people think you're up to no good!

I think we were in on Stafford, but that has now "linked us" to every other QB who might be traded or whatever out there.

Its like eating sheep poop. Do it ONE TIME and suddenly every time you're around a sheep people think you're up to no good!

I absolutely think there is a lot of that going on.

We've been linked to Jones at 19 as well as others saying we 'are interested in Fields/Lance and may be willing to trade up'

Reports have also come out that we've called about Darnold and Mariota, and we're "watching the situation in Seattle with Wilson"

I think the argument in regards to signing a Fitzpatrick is not about him mentoring Kyle Smith or Heinicke and having him on the field to try and win games in 2021 as a transitional figure while we look to the 2021 offseason to then go all in on a McVay type trade for a franchise type veteran.

That type of move allows us to keep our #19 pick and continue to build up the rest of the roster.

I don't think anyone at this point is so high on Kyle Allen that the team is tying up its future with Chase Young and others on rookie deals to view a new acquisition of a veteran as a means of making Kyle a more viable future passer in the NFL.

The OPSEC with this current regime is pretty impressive. No one, and I mean no one knows what they are thinking/planning.

As Rooster Cogburn would say: "Let's get to the rat killin..."

So if Mac Jones is there at 19, do you take him?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.