• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Mac Jones Thread. Where will he go in the draft?

Solitary Man

The Starter
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
I'm always intrigued when there is such a wide range of opinions on where a player will get drafted.

This is a very interesting player.
Personally, I don't think he will be available when we draft.

Some don't have him in the first round in their mocks. Mobility concerns? Played with superior talent ala Haskins?
Even Charlie Casserly does not have him in his 1st mock draft that came out yesterday.

Others have him zooming up their mock drafts. Into the top 10 even in some.

Watching his reel, you see a lot of special qualities. Great pocket awareness and presence. Also, has a strong arm and is accurate(knows how to lead receivers)
All the intangibles are with him as well. Self Isolated for months during covid to make sure he did not hurt his team(Not exactly what Dwayne H did).

I believe Casserly will redo his mock and put Mac Jones in the top half of the first round at some point.

IMO he goes well before we pick at 19. Patriots at 15 is my guess, unless someone doesnt trade up before that to get him.
Would not surprise me at all if he goes top ten.

Not like we are stuck at 19. I think he will be there, but if they truly think he’s their guy, we certainly have the ammo to move up and get him.

I don’t currently have an opinion. He’s definitely one of the more ‘boom or bust’ prospects in recent years. People either seem to live or hate him.

He's absolutely the QB connected to us the most in the draft, but that's likely because of the first round QBs, he's been to this point the most likely to be there at 19. I'm not convinced he's there at 19, and I'm also not convinced he's worth moving up to get....

I tend to be a little critical of QBs that have more time than most other QBs to drop back behind NFL caliber O-lineman and find multiple first round WRs, or hand it off to a first round RB. Jones has above average decision making, but he's also not under pressure.

I've been on record saying that for the Team needs to improve the O-Line and get better weapons for a QB. Now, if they really love Jones and he's their guy, then they need to address those positions in Free Agency so they can get the young QB in the draft. I do think Jones will most likely get drafter higher than he should, which would put the Team out of the running.

Drafting a QB in the first round is always a huge risk. Look at the history of drafting QBs and there are some awful names in the first round. I didn't realize how bad it was until I read through this list:

This offense ain't doing jack unless they get a quality LT at some point. This draft doesn’t seem that deep there, could be wrong tho

I'd throw our 2nd rounder at the Ravens for Orlando Brown right now, and maybe offer a late round pick to sweeten the pot. But we do have Saahdiq Charles coming off IR who has played only a handful of plays and could possibly be the guy - we just don't know yet.

I've been on record saying that for the Team needs to improve the O-Line and get better weapons for a QB. Now, if they really love Jones and he's their guy, then they need to address those positions in Free Agency so they can get the young QB in the draft. I do think Jones will most likely get drafter higher than he should, which would put the Team out of the running.

Drafting a QB in the first round is always a huge risk. Look at the history of drafting QBs and there are some awful names in the first round. I didn't realize how bad it was until I read through this list:

I think that's a reflection of how important the position is. The reason teams draft so many QBs in the first round is because it's worth the risk. Yes - there's a high bust potential. But if you hit, it can be franchise-altering. One could argue that the problem isn't how many QBs get drafted in the 1st round that's the problem, but how few do.

You can't hit if you don't swing.

I think that's a reflection of how important the position is. The reason teams draft so many QBs in the first round is because it's worth the risk. Yes - there's a high bust potential. But if you hit, it can be franchise-altering. One could argue that the problem isn't how many QBs get drafted in the 1st round that's the problem, but how few do.

You can't hit if you don't swing.

I agree with that. If you really believe in a guy, you should draft him. I was fine at the time with drafting Haskins because they didn't move up to get him and he went around the range he was expected to go. Obviously they forced the pick, or had it forced on them by Snyder. And Haskins didn't work out because he didn't put in the work. So it was a disaster all the way around, but if you see a guy you really like, you go for it. If the coaches believe in Jones and he's available, then take him. I don't know enough about him to know if they should be moving up or staying at 19 hoping he falls to them. But while I'm a guy that prefers to the draft come to the team and not to give up assets when you have multiple holes to fill, if you feel strongly about a guy, take a shot at him and develop him.

I'm not a huge fan of drafting Jones in the first round based on what I've seen. Yes he has some of qualities you look for in a QB: good arm, good accuracy. He's not very mobile though, and like a lot of you have already mentioned he played on a team that was absolutely loaded at every position. Naturally I wonder what he would be like without the supporting cast he had in Bama.

It would have been more of a story if he had NOT been successful at Alabama given what they were working with. He didn't screw it up so I guess that counts for something. It just makes it really hard to evaluate him for the pros. At no point do I remember him elevating the team based just on his play. He simply distributed the ball to play-makers. A lot of reputable places have him as a 3rd or 4th round talent. I'm far from an expert but that falls in lime with my doofus opinion so for the sake of this post I'll go with it. He'll be drafted higher than that, but I hope it isn't by us.

I would love to say something like "If the team likes him they clearly have done their homework and I support their decision to draft him". Then I recall the story about Snyder overriding the whole draft war room to take Haskins because Snyder's kid went to high school with him. Thanks again Dan. He really is the worst owner in pro sports.

Think being a mobile QB is now an in thing like Wilson, Allen, Jackson!

I hope this new personnel crew were worth it. Finding a qb in a later round is a MUCH safer option, and a stud LT, CB or WR in the 1st goes a long way in elevating the team.

I’m hoping they cut Alex, sign a cheap FA vet and draft a 2nd or 3rd round QB to battle/grow with Heineken. I’d cut Allen too

Why on earth would we cut Allen after trading for him a year ago? He played well until the injury. I think that’s a terrible idea.

I’d say ‘well’ is being a tad kind, then again Smith’s #’s were crappy too. The big difference is Smith was credited with wins.

Allen is coming off a major surgery to go along with those #’s so if it were me I’d pass.

Allen is a restricted free agent... you dont have to cut him...

I also think we need to try and bring him back on an inexpensive contract unless you plan on adding 2 or 3 more QBs before the season starts. If you want to bring him back and have a competition, and he's the odd man out, that's one thing... but Allen had a 69% completion percentage and 4 TDs to 1 INT in 4 games. Is it exciting? Nah... but it's effective. The offense showed effectiveness when he was in the game. I don't know that I want to look at him like he's the future, but you could do a lot worse than having Allen in camp.

I'd throw our 2nd rounder at the Ravens for Orlando Brown right now, and maybe offer a late round pick to sweeten the pot. But we do have Saahdiq Charles coming off IR who has played only a handful of plays and could possibly be the guy - we just don't know yet.

I don't think a 2nd + gets it done. I think they're going to want at least a 1st.

This offense ain't doing jack unless they get a quality LT at some point. This draft doesn’t seem that deep there, could be wrong tho

There is A LOT of tackle talent in the first 2 rounds.

Allen is a restricted free agent... you dont have to cut him...

I also think we need to try and bring him back on an inexpensive contract unless you plan on adding 2 or 3 more QBs before the season starts. If you want to bring him back and have a competition, and he's the odd man out, that's one thing... but Allen had a 69% completion percentage and 4 TDs to 1 INT in 4 games. Is it exciting? Nah... but it's effective. The offense showed effectiveness when he was in the game. I don't know that I want to look at him like he's the future, but you could do a lot worse than having Allen in camp.

Those 4 td’s came against the turds and gnats so it’s not like he was against upper tier defenses. I can agree that effective is an accurate description, wouldn’t go any higher than that tho. IMO a June cut would be just as good if not better stat wise.

Come on - we gave up a significant pick to bring Allen here. They WILL RE-sign him. They like Allen a lot. It’s a silly discussion. And he played well - again, come on.

Kyle Allen knows this offense and we gave up a 5th for him a year ago. He played well when he was in there and honestly it was bound to get even better. Why would they not bring him back - makes no sense?

Last edited:
Come on - we gave up a significant pick to bring Allen here. They WILL RE-sign him. They like Allen a lot. It’s a silly discussion. And he played well - again, come on.

Kyle Allen knows this offense and we gave up a 5th for him a year ago. He played well when he was in there and honestly it was bound to get even better. Why would they not bring him back - makes no sense?

I agree

Unless there are 2 surprise cuts that Rivera / Turner / Zampese feel like they HAVE to bring in, then I don't see why they wouldn't want to keep him in the room til AT MINIMUM cut down day the week before the season starts.

I’m in the minority - I think Allen has a ton of talent and could even some day be a starter.

I may be in the supreme minority here thinking we don't need to draft a QB this year. I am convinced that either Allen or Hieneke step up and lead us.

We need to go OL OL OL OL OL OL OL OL!!

we need to sign our DL to new contracts as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.