• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Looks like Bradford is gonna be the #1 overall pick

If we deal Campbell to the Rams then who is our starting QB for 2010? Do we put in the rookie (Bradford or Clausen) at week 1?

We've still got Colt Brennan on our roster. Not saying he'll be on the roster when the dust settles. But folks forget he's a Redskin.

I have no problem with going O-line and using semi-unproven qb next year. At worst we have one more lousy year and a good draft. I view this is a project and if it takes a few years to get the building blocks for a long run, I can live with it.

I have no problem with going O-line and using semi-unproven qb next year. At worst we have one more lousy year and a good draft. I view this is a project and if it takes a few years to get the building blocks for a long run, I can live with it.

Yes, agreed. Draft the O-line, let them gel together in front of Campbell for a year. Worst case scenario, Campbell sucks ass, and it's a wasted year, but at least the O-line comes together a little. Second worst case, Campbell is up and down, but at least the O-line comes together, and then we know to draft a QB the next year.

Best case, Campbell plays well enough to earn another year of starting, the O-line gels, and we draft Campbell's replacement in 2011.

I really don't see the downside for drafting O-line.

Yes, agreed. Draft the O-line, let them gel together in front of Campbell for a year. Worst case scenario, Campbell sucks ass, and it's a wasted year, but at least the O-line comes together a little. Second worst case, Campbell is up and down, but at least the O-line comes together, and then we know to draft a QB the next year.

Best case, Campbell plays well enough to earn another year of starting, the O-line gels, and we draft Campbell's replacement in 2011.

I really don't see the downside for drafting O-line.

That we aren't in position to draft an elite QB in 2011?

I think a Shanahan coached team in 2009 goes 8-8. I expect that if we "build up the o-line" and have an "up and down season" we'll be around .500

Boom, we are in the middle of the 1st round, and probably don't have the ammo to move up to the top 5 to get an elite QB that this team needs

I think a Shanahan coached team in 2009 goes 8-8. I expect that if we "build up the o-line" and have an "up and down season" we'll be around .500

Boom, we are in the middle of the 1st round, and probably don't have the ammo to move up to the top 5 to get an elite QB that this team needs

I'll give you Peyton Manning and McNabb, aside from them, how many elite QBs have come out of the top 5 picks in the last 20 years? If, and this is a big if, our scouting department is good, we can pick up a QB a little later than even the first round. Everyone is sick of hearing about Brady, which I understand, but look at Brees. 2nd Round pick. Hell, look at Romo. Say what you will, he's not a top level QB imo, but he is solid, and he was undrafted.

I agree with what others have said. If we think Clausen or Bradford is the real deal, and a 10 year all pro QB, abso-frickin-lutely we do what we have to do to get him. If we're not convinced however, and I mean completely convinced, take someone we are convinced will be a star.

If we draft someone with the 4th slot, we need to be damned certain that person will start for us for 10 years, and be a star. If Shanny & Co determine that's Clausen or Bradford, I can live with that. If they think it's someone else at a different position, I'm good with that too.

All that being said, I'd sure like to see several picks used on the O-line.

Look, I know you are very knowledgeable in Football. I have followed you over at ES and respect you, but you are incessant about your belief that a franchise QB has to be taken within the first 5 picks of the first round. History has proven your theory wrong!!!

Last edited:
Look, I know you are very knowledgeable in Football. I have followed you over at ES and respect you, but you are incessant about your belief that a franchise QB has to be taken within the first 5 picks of the first round. History has proven your theory wrong!!!

Thanks. Although I am not really that smart :rotflmao:

It isn't more so that a QB has to be taken in the top 5. Its more so we have a chance at this particular QB that I feel is going to be a superstar QB for a team for the next decade. And that he would be an outstanding, almost perfect fit for Mike Shanahan.

Although it appears more and more likely we won't even get a chance to pass on him

From Yahoo

Shutdown Corner Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:15 am EST

Bradford's weight could have him flying up the boards
By Doug Farrar

As first reported by former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah of Move The Sticks, Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford posted a weight of 236 pounds at his Friday morning Combine weigh-in. For those NFL personnel people who were on the fence about Bradford because of his formerly 223-pound frame, wondering if he could take repeated hits in the pocket at that size, a more muscled Bradford could shake up the top of the draft board.

What is not in question is Bradford's accuracy and ability to get the ball to all field levels. Playing behind the best offensive line in the college game in 2008, Bradford played pitch-and-catch to the tune of 4,720 yards and 50 touchdowns. After shoulder injuries shut down his 2009 season and he declared for the draft, Bradford has obviously been eating his Wheaties. The question now is whether the extra weight will affect his throwing motion and mechanics in any way -- word is the new weight is solid muscle, which speaks to his work ethic.

Though defensive tackles Gerald McCoy and Ndamukong Suh are widely regarded as the best players in this draft, the St. Louis Rams have a desperate need at quarterback and the first overall pick. If Bradford aces the interviews here in Indianapolis, and is able to throw well at his personal workout on March 25, he may have the Rams putting the pieces together and making him the first overall pick. And if that happens, McCoy and Suh could go to the very happy Detroit Lions and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, two teams in desperate need of interior line reinforcement.

UPDATE: Just off the media floor, Rams GM Billy DeVaney told me that the team has been in touch with Tom Condon

Berry in the top 3 huh? I don’t think that’s going to happen but if McCoy or Suh drop to us at 4 we are going to have a lot of opportunities to trade down if we want and we would have to take a long hard look at doing so.....or

We could take McCoy or Suh and laugh all the way to the bank. It’s not an area of desperate need for us, but if you can add elite players, you do it. I don’t want to even get into the 3-4 vs 4-3 debate and where everyone would fit in. Either could find a home somewhere on our D-line.

Berry in the top 3 huh? I don’t think that’s going to happen but if McCoy or Suh drop to us at 4 we are going to have a lot of opportunities to trade down if we want and we would have to take a long hard look at doing so.....or

We could take McCoy or Suh and laugh all the way to the bank. It’s not an area of desperate need for us, but if you can add elite players, you do it. I don’t want to even get into the 3-4 vs 4-3 debate and where everyone would fit in. Either could find a home somewhere on our D-line.

Suh would absolutely dominate as a 3-4 DE, especially playing next to Haynesworth at NT.

Thanks. Although I am not really that smart :rotflmao:

It isn't more so that a QB has to be taken in the top 5. Its more so we have a chance at this particular QB that I feel is going to be a superstar QB for a team for the next decade. And that he would be an outstanding, almost perfect fit for Mike Shanahan.

Although it appears more and more likely we won't even get a chance to pass on him

From Yahoo

You sell yourself short. You have been one of the most well balanced posters on ES over the 4 year period I have followed that site, not that it is so difficult over there.

I just think Bradford is too risky coming off such a serious injury in his senior season, 5 months removed. If he was available anywhere after the top 10 picks in the draft and that was where we were picking, I would pull the trigger on him then. It would be much less of a risk in that scenario.

Boone is right, I cannot possibly know that he or Clausen are complete busts. That is less my point as much as his injury factor and the uncertainty of Clausen, his attitude and ability. Too many variables involved with either of these guys choose them with such a high pick, especially since we have so few.

There is no telling what is going to happen right now. It is all specualtion and every team out there is lying through their teeth.

I think things will get a little more clear after the start of free agency, when trades can begin. Rams may be able to get the QB and still keep that top pick to go after one of the big DT's.

I think the Skins have to keep Campbell this year. They really need someone they can rely on to a degree. There is no one in free agency (Pennington, Grossman, Garcia) who looks good enough and reliable enough to come in and lead this team. Although, I would not rule out Grossman coming in as a back-up. He was with the Texans last year and will be familiar with the system. I don't think shanny will rely on a rookie, without a quality veteran pushing him.

I think Shanny can turn Campbell around. I am more worried about o-line and a good change of pace back. Campbell is serviceable, and I think he could be better with some consistency in schemes and protection.

I just think Bradford is too risky coming off such a serious injury in his senior season, 5 months removed. If he was available anywhere after the top 10 picks in the draft and that was where we were picking, I would pull the trigger on him then. It would be much less of a risk in that scenario.

One of my problems with Bradford is with the Redskins nickname situation. I worry that if he hates the name that much, and he turns out to be something special, he may be difficult to re-sign in the future.

Maybe this is petty, but I think it is a legitimate concern. Plus, Bruce Allen says he wants players that want to be here and they should be proud of the Redskins history.

I think Shanny can turn Campbell around. I am more worried about o-line and a good change of pace back. Campbell is serviceable, and I think he could be better with some consistency in schemes and protection.

I will preface this by saying I still don't trust Jason Campbell to win a game on the line with little time left on the clock, but I whole-heartedly believe given a few more tools, like a line that is not in shambles, we won't have to rely on him to win those games late. QB is not in such a desperate condition as our offensive line.

I think Grossman could be the veteran backup to come in like Collins did under Saunders having knowledge of the scheme. I think it is time for Collins to move on.

The Rams are being so overt about their interest in Bradford that I smell a smokescreen. (And where there's a smokescreen, there's fire.)
UPDATE: Just off the media floor, Rams GM Billy DeVaney told me that the team has been in touch with Tom Condon
One likely targeted specifically at us. I don't think Shanahan is fooled. No one is likely to move up to #1 (w/ the draft and $ cost) to take even a dominant DT; some team might do it for a QB.

(Though I think the tweet about Dr. Schefter clearing Bradford so we're on to the second round was likely a joke--i.e., Adam Schefter, NFL analyst, is not technically a medical professional. But maybe it revealed the subconscious belief that the only impediment to drafting Bradford is health. Though likely that, too, was part of the sly smokescreen campaign.)

If they were truly trying to bargain down Bradford and/or Suh (and McCoy), they would be floating both their names and saying we have a couple of great options, there are tremendous talents at the very top of the draft, we're exploring those possibilities and considering all our options (i.e., signalling to Bradford/Suh that if you're willing to sign for a reasonable price, you might well be the #1 pick). Focusing on Bradford is signalling to other teams that if they want Bradford they need to trade up.

I dunno...the Dolphins were overtly interested in Jake Long's services, and he had a contract something like a week before the draft. Same with Stafford and the Lions. Sometimes, there really is interest.

More rumors:

According St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Bryan Burwell, the Rams have had "intense internal conversations" about a possible trade for Donovan McNabb.

Burwell's colleague at the Post-Dispatch, Bernie Miklasz, is "skeptical" of the report, doubting the Eagles are serious about dealing McNabb. The reported price is a second-round pick, which has us skeptical as well. Coach Steve Spagnuolo denies that the teams have talked about McNabb.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=704

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.