• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Letters from Baugh and Marshall in online Article from WP.com

redskns21

Camp Fodder
Reaction score
Just found this via Redskins Insider, I found it to be very cool, hope you enjoy. Follow the link for much more.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/24/AR2009072401853.html

Hotel Roosevelt
Sixteenth St. at V and W
Washington, D.C.

Dearest Mona,

I have been laying in bed listening to the first game of the world series. It was a good game, but I had quite a difficult time keeping my eyes open.

The Redskins won Mon. nite but we received lots of injuries -- some of them quite serious. I hope some of the boys recover in time for the Giant game Sunday. "Turk" was relieved of being line coach -- he was replaced by Herman Ball. It was quite a popular move as far as the boys were concerned. They like Herman, but detest Turk.

I am getting awful tired and old for football -- seems I can't get rested. I suppose it's for young men, and you couldn't exactly call me a freshman at this time ...

Be sweet and remember I love you. Tell the boys I'll be awful glad to see them.

Sam

Sam is Sammy Baugh, the National Football League Hall of Famer and legendary Redskins quarterback from 1937 to 1952, who died in December at age 94. Baugh wrote the letter on Oct. 5, 1949, from his usual room during football season at the Hotel Roosevelt on 16th Street in Northwest Washington, to his wife, Edmonia, who was home at their ranch outside Rotan, Tex.

This was just an AWESOME read and I learned a LOT of stuff I never knew, especially about all the unpaid "exhibition" games.

Interesting that George Preston Marshall was instrumental in getting the goal posts moved up to the goal line and how it ended up biting the Skins in Super Bowl VII when Billy Kilmer's pass to a wide open Jerry Smith in the endzone hit the post.

You're very welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a little slow at the beginning but the last page was full of a bunch of stuff that I didn't know. The way that the players were treated and paid back then is astonishing to me, I knew that Marshall wasn't the nicest man but he really didn't treat anybody well.

You're very welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a little slow at the beginning but the last page was full of a bunch of stuff that I didn't know. The way that the players were treated and paid back then is astonishing to me, I knew that Marshall wasn't the nicest man but he really didn't treat anybody well.

I remember an interview with Sammy some time back where he was asked about the amount of money the players make today, and he commented that some of the guys make more for one game then he made his entire career.

I've seen other stuff out there about Marshall being a SOB in many ways, but never quite so detailed as this piece. Most knew about him being the last to bring in black players, but I never knew how involved the government was in pushing him into it. Even his comment about JFK, and his father Joe.

It's pretty scary thinking about the conditions from then to now. Players today are often millionaires before they even play a single down in the pros.

Cool stuff. Every skins fan should read this one. Wow how times have changed. One thing really caught my eye, and that's that apparently a number of Redskins players during WWII served, and many did not survive to play again. That sounds like an article worth writing right there. I may just have to dig into that.

Sound familiar:

"In those days, the Redskins scouted players but also relied heavily on choosing their draft picks from football magazines, which featured skilled position players (quarterbacks and running backs). The Redskins used most of their top selections on these high-profile players and tended to shop for linemen after the draft"

I'd love to see that Boone!

I'll second that. We hear a lot more about MLB players that served during WWII than NFL players. I'd definitely be interested in hearing more about them.

I'll second that. We hear a lot more about MLB players that served during WWII than NFL players. I'd definitely be interested in hearing more about them.

All in favor.... say aye

Letters from Sammy Baugh and George Marshall Reveal Early Struggles

Great article, and some Redskins history. It was in Sunday's post, so if you've seen it already, apologies!

------------

Letters from Hall of Fame quarterback Sammy Baugh and owner George Marshall reveal the Redskins' early struggles on -- and off -- the field

By Samu Qureshi and Valerie Grissom
Sunday, August 2, 2009

Hotel Roosevelt

Sixteenth St. at V and W
This Story

Washington, D.C.

Dearest Mona,

I have been laying in bed listening to the first game of the world series. It was a good game, but I had quite a difficult time keeping my eyes open.

The Redskins won Mon. nite but we received lots of injuries -- some of them quite serious. I hope some of the boys recover in time for the Giant game Sunday. "Turk" was relieved of being line coach -- he was replaced by Herman Ball. It was quite a popular move as far as the boys were concerned. They like Herman, but detest Turk.

I am getting awful tired and old for football -- seems I can't get rested. I suppose it's for young men, and you couldn't exactly call me a freshman at this time ...

Be sweet and remember I love you. Tell the boys I'll be awful glad to see them.

Sam

Sam is Sammy Baugh, the National Football League Hall of Famer and legendary Redskins quarterback from 1937 to 1952, who died in December at age 94. Baugh wrote the letter on Oct. 5, 1949, from his usual room during football season at the Hotel Roosevelt on 16th Street in Northwest Washington, to his wife, Edmonia, who was home at their ranch outside Rotan, Tex.

------------

click link for the rest of the article.

For those that might have missed it, somebody, posted links to some pretty cool color video of Sammy and the Skins, in the Redskins Video section of this very site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.