• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

LB PERRY RILEY

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
IGIKXNCXODTNPHF.20081129035655.jpg

LB Perry Riley

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 239 lbs.
Arm Length: 32 1/2 in.
Hand Size: 9 1/2 in.
College: LSU

HIGHLIGHTS
NFL COMBINE WORKOUT

496949.jpg

SCOUTING REPORTS

NFL Draft Rivals

A stout, thickly built linebacker, Riley displays good footwork and body control at the line of scrimmage. Does a nice job reading the action in front of him and is quick to find the ball. Runs well for his size and closes quickly in pursuit. A physical wrap-up tackler, he generates good power on contact and knows how to play with natural leverage. Consistently finds the ball quickly on runs between the tackles and does a nice job sorting through traffic in front of him. But he isn't fluid in his drop and looks a bit stiff in his back-pedal. Playing too tight when trying to get out of his breaks, he can be slow to redirect and adjust to the football. Isn't a dynamic linebacker but possesses a thick trunk and can play the run inside.

FF Toolbox

After playing in a backup role at linebacker for his first two seasons at LSU, Riley exploded onto the scene as junior in 2008. He played in all 13 games -- starting eight -- and recorded 60 tackles. Riley, a finalist for the 2008 Butkus Award, was named Defensive MVP of the Chick-fil-A Bowl, in which the Tigers hammered Georgia Tech. As a senior, Riley finished second on the team with 97 total tackles, including 4.5 for loss.

Riley has good size at 6'1 and 245 pounds. He has the look of an inside linebacker, but his instincts are not the best and he sometimes gets caught by the play-action pass. Riley also has good speed and has been clocked as fast as 4.53 in the 40-yard dash, although he generally runs that distance in around 4.60. He played weakside linebacker in Baton Rouge, but the speed and athleticism might not be there to play the same position in the NFL. As such, Riley could be a risky pick as teams consider him to be in between the those two spots on the defensive side of the ball. Still, he has the talent to emerge as a solid middle linebacker after spending a season or two as a backup. Look for him to go off the board in the fourth or fifth round of the 2010 NFL Draft.

BIO/PROFILE

LSU PROFILE PAGE

2008 Chick-fil-A Bowl Defensive MVP
2008 Butkus Award Finalist

CAREER

Two-year starter at outside linebacker for the Tigers in 2008 and 2009 ... Played in 47 games, starting 22 times during his career ... Followed up an outstanding season in 2008 with another great year in 2009 ... Recorded 185 total tackles for his career, which included 13 tackles for losses and two sacks ... Added eight pass breakups and a pair of interceptions ... Highlight of career came in win over Georgia Tech in 2008 Chick-fil-A Bowl as he was named the defensive MVP of the contest in helping the Tigers to a 38-3 win ... A finalist for the Butkus Award, which goes to the top linebacker in college football, in 2008.

SENIOR SEASON (2009)

Starter at Will linebacker for the Tigers for the second-straight year in 2009 ... Started all 13 games and ranked second on team with 97 tackles, including 4.5 for losses ... Recorded double-figure tackles in three games - 14 vs. Louisiana Tech, 12 vs. Florida and 11 vs. Mississippi State ... Had eight tackles in games against Tulane, Alabama and Arkansas ... Finished with seven tackles and a tackle for a 6-yard loss vs. Ole Miss ... Sealed win over Georgia with an interception late in the fourth quarter ... Added a QB hurry and two pass breakups against Florida ... Forced a fumble to go with six tackles and one tackle for a 3-yard loss in season-opener against Washington.

JUNIOR SEASON (2008)

A finalist for the 2008 Butkus Award and Defensive MVP of the Chick-fil-A Bowl in his first year as a starter for the Tigers ... Ranked among the team leaders in total tackles with 60, including 7.0 for losses and 1.5 sacks ... Also credited with an interception, three pass breakups and three quarterback hurries ... Played in all 13 games with nine starts ... Delivered his most valuable performance in the Chick-fil-A Bowl win against Georgia Tech ... Registered a team-high and career-best 11 tackles and had one tackle for a loss of a yard as the Tigers dominated Georgia Tech’s triple-option attack ... Tremendous all-around play at Arkansas when he recorded three tackles, two tackles for losses, one sack and his first career interception ... Returned the pick 17 yards, which led to a field goal at the end of the first half ... It represented the first interception by an LSU linebacker since Darry Beckwith had one in the 2007 SEC Championship Game ... Recorded four tackles and one quarterback hurry against Ole Miss ... Finished with five total tackles and one quarterback hurry against Alabama ... Had five tackles and one tackle for a loss against Tulane ... Made four tackles against Georgia including 0.5 tackles for loss ... Tallied two tackles and recovered a fumble - the first of his career – in come-from-behind win at South Carolina ... Notched six tackles at Florida ... Led the team in tackles against Mississippi State with nine, including 0.5 tackles for a loss ... Tallied four tackles in his first career start at Auburn, including 1.5 tackles for loss and 0.5 sacks for a loss of four yards ... Also finished with one PBU against Auburn ... Had three tackles, including 0.5 for a loss of one yard, versus North Texas ... Credited with four tackles versus Appalachian State.

SOPHOMORE SEASON (2007)

Played in all 14 of LSU’s games ... Tallied 24 tackles, including 1.5 for losses and a half sack, to his credit ... Recorded a team-high tying seven tackles against Louisiana Tech ... Had five stops, including a half sack and a tackle for loss against Middle Tennessee ... Was nearly as good against Virginia Tech, making four tackles ... Recorded two solo tackles in the 2008 BCS National Championship Game versus Ohio State ... Also a key contributor on the Tigers’ special teams units, he was credited with 14 tackles in that role.

FRESHMAN SEASON (2006)

Saw action in seven games as a true freshman ... Was credited with four tackles, making two against Kentucky and one each versus Arizona and Mississippi State.

HIGH SCHOOL

Solid linebacker rated in the top three at his position in the state of Georgia ... Versatile, athletic presence who also saw action at running back and strong safety ... Formed arguably the nation’s most intimidating linebacking core with teammate Marcus Ball and LSU teammate Kelvin Sheppard ... As a senior, recorded 131 tackles, four interceptions, two sacks, five tackles for loss and one defensive touchdown ... Member of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Top 50 for Georgia and the Mobile Register Super Southeast 120 in 2005 ... Racked up 96 tackles, eight sacks and five forced fumbles in 2004 ... Coached by Ron Gartrell.

PERSONAL

Full name is Perry Alphonso Riley ... Parents are Perry and Fonda Riley ... Has two siblings, Jasmin and Jordan ... Born May 3, 1988, in Atlanta, Ga. ... Majoring in general studies with concentrations in African-American studies, communication studies and corrections.

CAREER HIGHS

Total tackles: 14 vs. La. Tech, 2009
Tackles for loss: 2 vs. Arkansas, 2008
Sacks: 1 vs. Arkansas, 2008
Interceptions: 1 vs. Arkansas, 2008

riley_perry2.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. I was sort of under the impression that OLB was not as big a need as ILB or OL. More proof why I am a professional geek and not a football guy I guess.

Yea hes is a good LB coming out of college, but now Im trying to see what the 4 LBs that will be projected to start.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/
Redskins take LSU linebacker with 103rd pick

The Redskins have taken Louisiana State linebacker Perry Riley with their 103rd pick on the last day of the NFL draft.

Riley was a weak-side linebacker for LSU but has been projected by many to play as an inside linebacker in the NFL.

Prep for a trade of McIntosh?

Riley looks to have the proper size for playing inside, which we need. Maybe they believe he can make the move.

If we trade McIntosh, I hope we can get a 4th for him, although I doubt it. I really hope the Skins make some trades and pick up some more picks. We still need a FS.

Also, anyone who wins a Chick-fil-a award is o.k. with me. In my best Homer impersonation MMMMMMM Chick-fil-a.

I don't think we should trade McIntosh. His value is much greater than a 4th. Just like I would not trade Haynesworth for a 2nd or Campbell for a 5th. At least we should wait until the pre-season when we might be able to get something for them.

I agree. If we could get a 4th for Rocky I would pull the trigger but other than that no trades. I think we still need another O-lineman and a safety. However, Shanahan can probably find lineman that don't get drafted.

Still a little shocked we bypassed Bruce Campbell for a guy who projects as more of an inside linebacker in a 3-4. This looks like more of a reach/need pick for the 3-4 than a value pick but I think we've seen a LOT of teams reach during the first 2 or 3 rounds and it's even more common later.

Everything I have read says that he will be a good Redskin! He might need a year to develop but he might be starting Inside Linebacker as soon as next year.

From a buddy who is an LSU fan:

"He won't be an OLB in the Pros. More than likely he will get moved to the middle. The guy is good but overly aggressive. He jumps on the play action way too much. When he is on, he is on. The guy put up double digit tackles in a bunch of games this season."

Interesting. I was sort of under the impression that OLB was not as big a need as ILB or OL. More proof why I am a professional geek and not a football guy I guess.

He projects as an ILB in a 3-4 alignment, better against the run than against the pass. Will primarily play on ST's this season, maybe get some 1st and 2nd down action next to Fletcher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.