• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Landry to Injured Reserve

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
Dec. 16, 2011

REDSKINS PLACE LANDRY ON RESERVE/INJURED LIST

ASHBURN, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have placed safety LaRon Landry on the Reserve/Injured list.
Landry (6-0, 227), was in his fifth NFL season, all with the Redskins. He started all eight games in which he participated in during the 2011 season. He finished the season with 56 tackles (40 solo), including one for loss, two quarterback hurries, 1.5 sacks, one forced and recovered fumble, and three passes defensed.

For his career, Landry has started all 64 games he has played. He also has 383 combined tackles, 5.5 sacks, four interceptions and 32 passes defensed as a member of the Redskins.

That may be it for Landry and the Redskins.

That may be it for Landry and the Redskins.
Hope so.

What a waste of a high pick on a player that's more hype than anything else.

He's more interested in body building than honing his craft.

Yeah, I think this is a case of Shanahan trying to purge this team of players from former regimes. Good bye Laron, I do believe the death of Sean Taylor played a huge part in your demise on this team. Too bad! But this disaster of a #6 pick is a result of a terrible decision to let Ryan Clark walk in favor of Adam Archuletta. Hope you heal and get a chance to catch on somewhere else, but I am glad your time here seems to be over.

I am sure there is some element of truth to that Ryman, but this guy does not seem to fit the Shanahan mold and the medical situation just compounds the other issues.

I think this could in fact be the end of the road due to the business realities. Unfortunately I think Landry is probably going to go somewhere else and blow up. :(

Yeah, he'll blow up alright. He'll blow up a knee. Or a groin. Or an achilles. Something blowing up is definitely in his future.

Even when Landry has been healthy, I've never been sold on his brains and instincts. At safety, those are crucial aspects. He's always seemed to me a guy whose progress as a player was never going to match his physical skills.

Well played. :)

You're right of course however it's often the case that a player with Landry's shortcomings in the intangibles finds a coach/team that is able to either "fix" him or make adjustments to the scheme to mitigate his shortcomings. I like Shanny but adjusting to players needs doesn't seem to be in his repertoire.

Well, you're certainly right that the Redskins seem to specialize in giving away 'failed' players to other teams only to see them thrive there.

I just don't see Landry having either the durability, or raw material between the ears to follow in that tradition.

The thing that always bothered me about LL was how he would celebrate a nice tackle after the opposing player has gained an extra six or seven yards beyond the first down marker. Seriously LL? It's just plain crazy how often he does it too.

That being said, a low round tender could help the Redskins in getting a decent draft choice for him. Word amongst the insiders is that Fred Davis will be hit with the transition tag (1st and 3rd rounder). London Fletcher needs to be re-signed too. LL is not a priority imho.

Well, you're certainly right that the Redskins seem to specialize in giving away 'failed' players to other teams only to see them thrive there.

I just don't see Landry having either the durability, or raw material between the ears to follow in that tradition.

I think there's more myth to this than reality. We remember the ones that excel elsewhere, but there have been plenty of McNabbs and Haynesworths or Michael Westbrook's or AA's (that safety that I'm blanking on) who failed to regain their star form elsewhere.

I think you're right BB - and we also forget that most teams have the experience of giving up on a guy and seeing him thrive elsewhere. 49ers fans probably look at Brandon Lloyd just as Redskins fans do, wondering where this version of him was when he was wearing our colors.

I think the problem is exacerbated when you have a revolving door at head coach though. Guys that might have shown promise are going to get shown the door much more quickly with a new regime that has it's own ideas of what it needs.

Heard some news from insider sources. LL is going to be franchised. If some team out there is willing to part ways with a first round pick, then LL walks. If not, then the Redskins will not do a new deal until twelve games has passed on the 2012 schedule. That will give the coaches some time to see if the injuries are healed and if his play improves.

Fred Davis will probably get a transition tag. Any new deal will cover behavioral situations.

Heard some news from insider sources. LL is going to be franchised. If some team out there is willing to part ways with a first round pick, then LL walks. If not, then the Redskins will not do a new deal until twelve games has passed on the 2012 schedule.

This seems like a mistake to me. Laron Landry is not one of the five best safties in the league and his play has been inconsistant since he was drafted. He's had one fantastic eight game stretch last year and then another pretty good stretch in his rookie campaign. Otherwise, he takes too many bad angles, misses too many tackles, and doesn't make enough plays despite his effort to knock people out with every hit.

I wouldn't mind keeping him, but he's not a top five guy. I'm not even sure if based on his production he's a top tier guy.

Burg, I mostly agree with you, though I will say in Landry's defense he has played out of position a LOT during his tenure here. Taylor's death necessitated it, but LaRon is not a FS, which is what Blache kept him playing at. When Haslett moved him to SS, he blossomed and frankly dominated until injury hit.

I would be much more concerned about his injuries and apparent reticence to get them attended to than anything else.

Burg, I mostly agree with you, though I will say in Landry's defense he has played out of position a LOT during his tenure here. Taylor's death necessitated it, but LaRon is not a FS, which is what Blache kept him playing at. When Haslett moved him to SS, he blossomed and frankly dominated until injury hit.

I would be much more concerned about his injuries and apparent reticence to get them attended to than anything else.

I don't completely disagree with you either and I'll admit that he surprised me at how well he played at that SS slot in 2010 (but not this year), however, I still contend that a safety strong or free must be able to cover much better and be better in space than Landry.

Effectively, he's a great extra linebacker or an Alvin Walton type player and while I loved the tough nosed blue collared Walton during the 'skins best days... he was never a franchise worthy player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.