• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kyle's turn to stir the pot

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Indiana
Kyle says he wasn't consulted about sitting Griffin and says he finds it disappointing.

From Fox Sports.

Redskins OC Kyle Shanahan says he wasn't consulted on RG3 benching, calls it 'disappointing'

Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan says he wasn't consulted on his father's decision to bench Robert Griffin III and finds it's "a little disappointing" that the franchise quarterback won't be playing for the rest of the season.

Shanahan said Thursday he made out two game plans for this week at Atlanta while waiting for coach Mike Shanahan to announce that Kirk Cousins will start the final three weeks.

Said Kyle Shanahan: "I'm a coordinator. I don't look at things the same way an owner does or a GM or a head coach. I don't look at the future of franchise, I look at how the hell am I going to win on Sunday, and I would love to have our starting quarterback out there for the rest of the year."

___

Article link: Redskins OC Kyle Shanahan says he wasn't consulted on RG3 benching, calls it 'disappointing' | Fox News

And another ring gets added to the circus.

Actually I think Kyle did pretty well for himself without throwing anyone under the bus. My issue with Kyle is what could he have done differently to provide a better pocket for the transition.Madden shot off a few things that could have done to give Griffin some help.

The article headline is very misleading. Kyle said he was disappointed at not having RG3 for the remaining games as his focus is winning those games, not next year. The headline implies he's pissed in general, but that's really not what he said.

I've said all week that I believe Snyder wanted RG3 put in mothballs but there's no way to know for sure currently.

If Shanny thinks the o-line can't protect him, he should say so.

That's what he said. He went over the sack numbers and said they're awful. The risk is not with him missing another offseason.

I don't think Mike wants to be fired with a losing record and the reputation of allowing a franchise qb to end his career in a meaningless game. Kyle said he understood the big picture, he would rather finish what he started with Griffin. Snyder has been quiet during this whole mess I honestly don't think he wanted to bench Griffin.

Frankly, I still don't know why they're sitting RGIII. If Shanny thinks the o-line can't protect him, he should say so.

He said as much in his presser a couple days ago and that there was no sense in risking his future by keeping him out there.

What he did not say was that the O-Line depth (or lack thereof) was his own fault.

Nick

He said as much in his presser a couple days ago and that there was no sense in risking his future by keeping him out there.

What he did not say was that the O-Line depth (or lack thereof) was his own fault.

Nick

I think you're on the right track. one of my main takes on all of this fits with yours - by stating the objective is to keep RG from being injured, Shanahan is tacitly saying the o-line sucks. which is true. saw a stat this morning: the o-line has given up the most sacks in the last 5 games since 1977!! wow.

My departure from you is that…when it comes to talent and fixing the problem…I think the responsibility lies higher up in the chain. btw…what the heck was LeRibeus drafted for? this is the sort of thing that does tweak me. one bad o-line move after the next. who the h is doing the scouting and making the decisions? one lesson I think we are learning: in a situation of constrained resources in which accuracy matters, our talent evaluation people and processes lag….at least when it comes to the lines (and one might add secondary and linebackers)

I'm actually quite comfortable with Robert sitting out the rest of this lost season, and heading into the offseason with a chance to actually have an offseason. If ever a young QB needed one, our potential franchise QB does. I've seen plenty of evidence he CAN develop into a big time NFL passer, but he is going to need time to hone his craft. I saw enough regression late in the season--attributable to any number of factors--to not feel like there was much learning that was going to happen in these last three games. Mostly, I would have been holding my breath hoping he'd just survive them.

As to the reason he's not playing? Doesn't matter much to me at this point. The Shanahan's aren't going to be here next year. Whoever comes in to replace them are going to inherit a healthy RG3 to work with for an entire offseason, getting ready to hit the big restart button next fall.

This is what you get when family is running a business. People outside the circle are not going to get a fair shake if it means pain for the blood relatives.

Shanahan is clearly distancing his son from these decisions so he can keep his jersey clean for his next job.

He is starting Cousins to salvage Kyle's reputation as an OC with some hopefully strong performances down the stretch.

It's the Head coach's decision. No reason Kyle needed to be "consulted". If the decision was truly to protect Robert, then no issues with this. They're all competitors and want to win, so I understand his disappointment.

I put money on it that Kyle knew about it.... this whole situation stinks of Mike jumping on the grenade to protect Kyle's future as a coach. As calculated as Mike has been, you really think it's out of the realm of possibility that he said to Kyle...."We are going to bench Griffin, I will say it's my idea and Snyder and I made the decision, and you look handcuffed in it all."

I've been a huge advocate of signing these guys to an extension but I honestly am hearing and seeing things that lead me to believe Shanny has been manipulating the system the whole time. I easily could see Mike spinning his so Kyle looks like the victim, and that he wasn't at fault for the team struggles.

I put money on it that Kyle knew about it.... this whole situation stinks of Mike jumping on the grenade to protect Kyle's future as a coach. As calculated as Mike has been, you really think it's out of the realm of possibility that he said to Kyle...."We are going to bench Griffin, I will say it's my idea and Snyder and I made the decision, and you look handcuffed in it all."

IMO thats the only reason MS came back to coach anyway. I said it a few months ago and got blasted for it but it made sense then with comments MS was making and it makes even more sense now. He wanted to coach for a few years with his son, grab a ton of Snyder's cashola, then turn the keys over after next year. It looks like things backfired and now it's time to preserve the sons reputation.

I'm OK with Robert sitting out. Been that way for a couple weeks. In fact, we know that he wasn't ready game 1. I said I was always in favor of not starting him until week six Dallas. And Mike said he would not play him if he was not 100%. Well then.....either Mike lied or was selfishly playing him like end of last year, ready or not for his own legacy. It's been all about Mike.

Now as for Kyle, he is just trying to protect his own career. No problem with that really. In fact, if Mike had any balls, he would be stand up man and father and resign, so that his son can finish out as interim head coach and at least have a chance at salvaging his own career.

So I would not like to be at Christmas dinner with the family as these are dead men walking.

Earlier I read a report that Kyle was the unofficial HC and had full autonomy. Then one report says he can't work with his dad and trying to distance himself from him. One said he could be only coach that returns.

This soap opera dwarfs the democrats, republicans, tea party, and Obama. All I can say is this is a major cluster.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.