• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins Development Tracker

Either sign him or trade him to get something in return. I am about over all this nonsense. I have no control over what the team does, so everyone should make up their mind and let us move on.

Reports suggest that the Redskins have offered $65M gtd and the agent is seeking $95M gtd.

Wide gap - you can do the math.

Twitter is exploding over this one. We'll see what happens. Nine days to go.

The player is already guaranteed nearly 53m over the next two seasons if tagged next year (as he will be if no LTD is reached). I doubt an additional 12m will make his toes tingle. Split the difference and it's 80m.

Last edited:
Reports suggest that the Redskins have offered $65M gtd and the agent is seeking $95M gtd.

Wide gap - you can do the math.

Twitter is exploding over this one. We'll see what happens. Nine days to go.

$95M? Oh hell nah!!!!!

If true I'm with Ax, greedy ****er can go to the bay area

I honestly believe Kirk would lower his price drastically for the 9ers while demanding ridiculousness from the skins. If I'm wrong ill eat crow for the rest of the contract but at the moment I see this as the last season we have him. Unless of course there's a trade THIS season.

Something really chafed his mangina and is against someone or thing within the teams management.

The team can match any offer the player gets if they utilize the transition tag next year. So, it would be great if he agrees to a lesser deal with SF or any other team. My guess is that SF will get creative with their deal, like heavily front-load the guarantees to possibly make it difficult to match.

If Joe Gibbs was here, he'd say Seeya Kirk, because Gibbs would say, "I can win a Super Bowl, with a 4th different QB. Yep, I can win a Suds Bowl."

Ha ha totally agree. Also I hope that Jay Gruden would say the same thing, he don't play no favorites with qb's. Would be nice actually to see Jay have a shot at bringing in his own guy and making it happen. That was what the Squire brought Gibbs in for.

I remember discussing the Robert Griffin trade prior to the trade taking place. The constant theme round these parts at the time, was that you pay whatever it takes for a franchise QB...the price then was 3 first round picks and a 2nd.

Now here we sit suggesting we do not pay a franchise QB top dollar, no draft picks...simply like money this time.

Guaranteed 95 million? So what! We're not paying him. Sign the deal and move on. We won't find a better QB in DC in the next 5 years. This guy has shown enough, get him inked...and this is from a guy who questions his melt downs in the 2 key, season ending games over the past 2 years.

I remember discussing the Robert Griffin trade prior to the trade taking place. The constant theme round these parts at the time, was that you pay whatever it takes for a franchise QB...the price then was 3 first round picks and a 2nd.

Now here we sit suggesting we do not pay a franchise QB top dollar, no draft picks...simply like money this time.

Guaranteed 95 million? So what! We're not paying him. Sign the deal and move on. We won't find a better QB in DC in the next 5 years. This guy has shown enough, get him inked...and this is from a guy who questions his melt downs in the 2 key, season ending games over the past 2 years.

You zeroed in on the key. Except that griffin wasn't franchise, we didn't know at the time. Point being, you don't bet on the come, pay the guy as if he is franchise quality, then find out it was a waste of money and time. So we get a one year trial period. win win for player and team imho. The league got wise when they stopped with overpaying rookies and put in a rookie cap. Wise then to proceed with caution for captain kirk.

We are, with higher hot dog and beer prices !

OK, not sure how many games you've attended the last few years, so I wonder how much you've actually paid for a hot dog and a beer, but I get my hot dogs and water free in the dream seats and I don't drink beer. I get your point, but the reality is the market bears any rise in prices, not Kirk's contract. As long as people spend 10 bucks a beer, they will continue to sell $10 beers.

You zeroed in on the key. Except that griffin wasn't franchise, we didn't know at the time. Point being, you don't bet on the come, pay the guy as if he is franchise quality, then find out it was a waste of money and time. So we get a one year trial period. win win for player and team imho. The league got wise when they stopped with overpaying rookies and put in a rookie cap. Wise then to proceed with caution for captain kirk.

No Micks, according to 92% of the fanbase, Griffin was the future, and we needed to get him at any cost, but many of those same people are not willing to suggest Kirk deserves a huge payday. According to most Griffin was slated a franchise QB, and the off chance he would not be was worth the risk. Where is the same willingness to pay for a true franchise QB?

Same thing here, except Cousins has proven he has what it takes to lead a franchise for a long time. The melt down on the make it or break it, last games of the season is something that concerns me, but the risk/reward is actually less risk and much more reward than a rookie savior everyone was adamant we should trade a lot of picks to obtain.

This time it's money for a proven QB, not draft picks for a college wonder. You and others suggest this is a one year trial, it's not. Cousins has proven since his rookie year when he made the winning play against Baltimore when Griffin went down, and a great game against the Browns in his rookie year, to this past season he displayed he possesses the ability to be a top 10 QB in this league, at least. In 3 years, his contract will be nothing compared to what the next Carr/Cousins will get, so just give the man his money and move on...he deserves a great deal...not another "one year prove it deal", he's done that already.

Last edited:
OK, not sure how many games you've attended the last few years, so I wonder how much you've actually paid for a hot dog and a beer, but I get my hot dogs and water free in the dream seats and I don't drink beer. I get your point, but the reality is the market bears any rise in prices, not Kirk's contract. As long as people spend 10 bucks a beer, they will continue to sell $10 beers.

But how much more money are you paying for those dream seats ?
My point was simple economics, and not just hot dogs and beer. As long as salaries keep going up, who is really paying those increases ? We, the fans are. The revenue to pay those salaries comes from fans. And sponsors too. But sponsors only pay because the fans are watching and paying money to watch, so essentially all revenue is derived from the fans.

The only person whose Cousins' opinion I care about is Jay Gruden. Jay dismissed RGIII as franchise guy right off the bat. I still don't know for sure how he feels about Kirk but I see that he is frustrated with him at times. This year he is calling the plays for Kirk, he is designing the offensive scheme for Kirk to excel. He's building his offense on what Kirk brings to the table, and he has worked with him enough to know his strengths. Whether Kirk can live up to that is my question, and how long can Gruden go if Kirk is not living up to jay's standard. Its going to be fun to watch their relationship develop.

Last edited:
But how much more money are you paying for those dream seats ?
My point was simple economics, and not just hot dogs and beer. As long as salaries keep going up, who is really paying those increases ? We, the fans are. The revenue to pay those salaries comes from fans. And sponsors too. But sponsors only pay because the fans are watching and paying money to watch, so essentially all revenue is derived from the fans.

But that's irrelevant...salaries will always go up, prices for tix, beer, hot dogs and anything else will continue to go up whether it's Kirk Cousins guaranteed 95 million or Jameis Winston breaking the bank after next season. Cousins contract will not matter one way or the other, prices and salaries will go up.

What you're missing about economics is that the market always dictates value...right now the market is suggesting Cousins should get a very high contract, even better than the one Carr got in Oakland since he's never had a significant injury. He just started 33 straight games for us!

The only person whose Cousins' opinion I care about is Jay Gruden. Jay dismissed RGIII as franchise guy right off the bat. I still don't know for sure how he feels about Kirk but I see that he is frustrated with him at times. This year he is calling the plays for Kirk, he is designing the offensive scheme for Kirk to excel. He's building his offense on what Kirk brings to the table, and he has worked with him enough to know his strengths. Whether Kirk can live up to that is my question, and how long can Gruden go if Kirk is not living up to jay's standard. Its going to be fun to watch their relationship develop.

Right, and Gruden went straight for Cousins when he booted RG3, not Colt McCoy. Not sure what you're looking at to see frustration with Cousins, matter of fact, I've see Cousins frustrated with Gruden's playcalling at times.

I still don't understand where you come up with Cousins not living up to Gruden's standards? What standards? 4k Yards in back to back seasons not enough? Increase the talent of the overall team and see if that 4k doesn't turn into 5k. Cousins has proven his point.

I don't think Gruden has any concerns about Cousins. I think Cousins was his guy from day 1 and I've seen nothing to make me believe that's changed. In fact, moving on from Desean and Garcon is evidence that he believes Cousins is good enough to make any WRs they plug in there highly productive. Gruden was disgusted by our defense last year and the epic failure of the Joe Barry experiment. He should be disgusted, since Barry was his guy, brought in to replace Haslett despite there being zero evidence Barry could put together an effective, professional NFL defense.

But Cousins? I don't think Gruden has any doubt that Kirk can be highly effective.

Last edited:
The Gruden standards are that he is a developer of QB's. If you want your QB to become something good, Gruden supposedly can do it. However, I believe our success was largely based on the WR's Garcon and Jackson. Without them, Jay has some coaching up to do. Others see it the other way, that the QB will make the WR. We'll see which way it goes this year. The pressure is on. The honeymoon is over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.