• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins Development Tracker

Dunno, the graphic in my post was a screen grab from Tandler thing, to follow suit your close wins should also show our red zone tries.

BTW..... we can only go with close losses to pad our 'what if' win column....... we 'earned' our wins and they shall remain indelible...... dontchaknow.

I guess the Devil's Advocate would also ask, how many of these games might have easily gone the other way

@Giants 29-27 W
@Ravens 16-10 W
Eagles 27-20 W
Vikings 26-20 W
@Eagles 27-22 W

None of them!!!!! Lol

To be fair as those stats you love so much we're saying the other day we were giving up on defense almost as many as we scored.

We were definitely sailing close to the wind with 1 score games.

Of those...

We were lucky to catch the Giants before their defense came together I think.

The Ravens was a fair win in a close game.

With the Eagles and the Vikings I think we were pretty evenly matched. Maybe we were lucky to catch the vikings as they were starting to implode.

But you're right, a bunch of those games could have gone either way.

To be honest with our RedZone issues and our Defense being historically bad I think our final record reflects fairly the team we were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess the Devil's Advocate would also ask, how many of these games might have easily gone the other way

@Giants 29-27 W
@Ravens 16-10 W
Eagles 27-20 W
Vikings 26-20 W
@Eagles 27-22 W

the Ravens game was a bobble away from going the other way

the Ravens game was a bobble away from going the other way
I know. Other games also included the other team dropping int's, self inflicted penalties, etc... that contributed to wins as much as any of the flowery passing stats did.

That's just reality.

A record shared by all phases. Offense, defense, and special teams.

True.

I'd forgotten in that Giants game having the ball on our 48 after the Crowder kick return magically became our own 14 after a commercial break....

Thanks Special Teams!

Meanwhile, steering back towards Kirk Cousins development ...

Assuming we get the guy back on board, I'd really like to see what he could do in a Gruden passing offense with the advantage of 1) at least a reliable running threat, and 2) at least a mid-tier defense capable of getting off the field on 3rd downs at an NFL pace, generating a little field position, and maybe even providing a defensive score now and then.

Also interested in how Gruden might approach his offense if he actually believed in his defense ... but that's for another thread. :)

I'd forgotten in that Giants game having the ball on our 48 after the Crowder kick return magically became our own 14 after a commercial break....

Mara probably made a phone call, or more likely, used a walkie talkie.

Well, Gruden has shown a clear preference to throw the ball. As a former QB, I don't expect that to change.

In a way, he's largely to blame for Cousins asking price. More concentration on a better run concept, and more running plays wouldn't have produced such pretty numbers for Kirk's agent to wave around.

Of course, the retort to that is, it didn't get us in the playoffs, did it?

Gruden's not the only coach who generally prefers the passing game ... it's a passing league. :)

I do wholeheartedly believe the key to our offense becoming elite, however, is to find a reliable complementary running game ... which we definitely have not had here under Gruden.

Agree Om. We had 8 100+ rushing games. We tied one, lost one and won 6. Gruden will always favor the pass, but I think not trusting the Defense exacerbated that. Kirk is a good QB. That may be all he ever is, but with a good defense and rushing attack, this team competes. I'm looking forward to that.

Seconded!!

I think we all pretty much agree that we need one more piece at least on the O line to upgrade the Lauvao spot. I'd be happy to see how Long develops and how Moses does when he's not hobbled with a sprained ankle.

I think that would help with the run game, but mostly we need to commit to a running back.

As much as I like FatRob as running backs go... he's ok but not great. I don't see Jones suiting up for us again. I suspect we'll see another draft pick used. Let's hope if so it's a good pick.

Mostly though we just need to commit to a starter and then commit to the run. We're a passing team, which is fine, but like you say our best games this year were when we had balance.

I know. Other games also included the other team dropping int's, self inflicted penalties, etc... that contributed to wins as much as any of the flowery passing stats did.

That's just reality.

we had the same thing I was just pointing out how close that game if he hadn't bobbled it reaching out for the end zone they probably score the next play.

You can look at 8-7-1 and point to a hundred factors overall that were pluses or minuses that could have gone the other way.

Two stick out in my mind. Second Dallas game? No. Season-ending loss to the Giants? Close, but not quite.

Two big negatives to me that cost us a playoff spots as they were clearly in reach were:

1. Matt Jones' fumble at the goal line in the Detroit loss. If he holds onto the ball and we simply do what 31 other teams do and score SOME points on that drive inside the 1, the game is over and there is no Matt Stafford heroics in the fourth quarter. We would have had a two score lead.

2. Dustin Hopkins makes and then misses the same field goal in London after Marvin Lewis takes a timeout just before the snap that is a surprise to NO ONE. It appears Hopkins didn't prepare himself for the timeout and wasn't able to re-focus in on the second kick. That's really unforgivable given the distance and the circumstances at that point of the game.

If we get just AVERAGE performances of what you expect from an NFL starter out of Jones and Hopkins in those circumstances, the Redskins with all of the defensive shortcomings and lack of red zone efficiency on offense would have finished 10-6 and the no-account Lions would be sitting at home.

Redskins Offense in the Red Zone:
5th highest average in attempts per game
28th in scoring

Redskins Defense in the Red Zone:
19th in attempts allowed
26th in scores allowed

The only thing they were good at in the Red Zone was getting there. That's how a team manages only 2 wins of 7 games ending in a 5 point or fewer point difference. Kirk obviously a part of the offense that got them to the Red Zone. Part of the same offense that didn't score also.

If Mike nugent makes that Xp that FG is irrelevant. We had another WR fumble/bobble the ball inside that helped us win a game. So at least 2 teams fumbled inside the 1 I would venture to say more did also it happens to every team.

According to this espn article, there is a 35% chance Kirk will end up on another team this year

Projecting the 2017 NFL quarterback market

That was an article from early October last year when the season was young.
When they didn't know if 2015 was fluke or business as usual.
I think the %age chance he leaves is very low. 5% maybe.

They'll sign him or tag him I reckon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.