• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins Development Tracker

It doesn't matter if Cousins is the answer. It doesn't matter if Jay is the answer.

We have the best GM we've had in years.

We have the best draft class we've had in years. We have the best, and youngest FAs we've had in years.

We have the best assistant coaches we've had in years.

What are people bitching about again?

Nevermind ...

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if Cousins is the answer. It doesn't matter if Jay is the answer.

We have the best GM we've had in years.

We have the best draft class we've had in years. We have the best, and youngest FAs we've had in years.

We have the best assistant coaches we've had in years.

What are people bitching about again?

I don't see this discussion as bitching. To me it's simply a difference of opinions on the abilities of the current starting qb. Cousins, imo, is a competent career backup and I believe that new gm agrees. He has the opportunity to prove otherwise and I hope he does.

Edit: just to add, he's better from than pocket than R Wilson. Yes, he is. If you keep R Wilson in the pocket he not that good and not as good as Kirk.

The difference is, nobody in Seattle ever expected him to be a pocket passer. They haven't tried to force that point as we did with Griffin. The mobility is part of Wilsons game, and the O is schemed accordingly.

He's four years into the League and isn't going to get better. He's plateaued. Romo used to throw a ton of picks...he was excused for that for the most part because he threw more TDs and "come backs" in games.

What we have in Kirk is what about 15 other NFL teams have right now...a place holder.

Lottery numbers please?

You don't know that. Hell, the staff doesn't know that.

If the staff knew what they had in Cousins and knew he was a bust, Colt McCoy would've been named starter from game one this year.

What's amazing to me is that the same folks that proclaim Robert hasn't had enough time to show who he is after 37 starts are the same ones that know without a doubt who Cousins is after 12 starts.

That's straight up frontier gibberish........

Inconsistency, lack of improvement and not winning.

Did I miss anything?

Year one of a rebuild with a legitimate GM?

You crow on here how bad Dan and Vinny was as co-GMs.(true)

How bad Bruce was as a GM.

And then you expect Scotty to turn 20 years of bad player acquisition around in 7 months.

Are you for real or are you some computer program invented by the IT folks over at Valley Ranch designed to troll Redskins sites?

The difference is, nobody in Seattle ever expected him to be a pocket passer. They haven't tried to force that point as we did with Griffin. The mobility is part of Wilsons game, and the O is schemed accordingly.

Indeed. The funny thing is that the Seahawks initially did try Wilson out as a pocket passer. When it was obvious that wasnt his strength, they adapted the offense to what he was good at. We kinda went the opposite way with Bob.

Last edited:
A good coach adapts his system to maximize the talent on hand.

Gruden said all the things that led us to believe he was going to as well. But immediately changed once he started.

Lottery numbers please?

You don't know that. Hell, the staff doesn't know that.

If the staff knew what they had in Cousins and knew he was a bust, Colt McCoy would've been named starter from game one this year.

What's amazing to me is that the same folks that proclaim Robert hasn't had enough time to show who he is after 37 starts are the same ones that know without a doubt who Cousins is after 12 starts.

That's straight up frontier gibberish........

That's assuming the staff is competent enough to make the correct judgment there or avvy enough to adapt their system to their players strengths. We have seen NOTHING from Gruden that would lead one to that conclusion logically with the QB's. Eventually ya have to go with a sample size. What I find amusing is the Cousins crowd is all using the exact same arguments for patience as were being made for Griffin yet by all accounts he never got it with Gruden. Gibberish indeed.

Urban Dictionary: bitching
bitching

Repeatedly saying something over and over, or rather whining about it, therefore destroying the point you were trying to make and making you look like a complete bitch because no one is listening to you.

Dunno Chris, seems to me that there is plenty of that going on ;)

Kirk, imho has had one bad game, whether or not he's the 'answer' can only be determined if he continues to be or not, part of the problem.

Miami, he was not part of the problem, he was 'good enough' not to lose the game.

Rams, he was not part of the problem, had he not made the throws to move the chains on third down our running game could not have continued, resting the defense. He was good enough to win the game.

Giants, yeah he was fully in the mix with all the other problems, he was not good enough to win the game and plays where there to be made, that's what the bitching is about. The whys and wherefores of 'bust' are evident to some with gifts of innate prognosis, others still need more testing to evaluate for meaningful prognosis.

We all know that he's not the 'potential talent' Griff is but is his talent good enough to be competent in the NFL, quite possible if he's smart enough to get over the pixies. I still wish that Griff had not gone down in game two last year, maybe he and Gruden could've made strides but that's the problem... Griff going down.

Griff was given every opportunity available, given the circumstances, to 'learn his craft'. Despite his enormous talent, 'something' was obviously missing, we can discuss (bitch) all of the reasons/excuses we want but that 'thing' is still there.

Now is the time to give Kirk the opportunity, we know his shortcomings, primarily a lesser talent than Griff with a little bonehead mixed in but we see that 'something' more often. Maybe less talent, less thing and incremental gains in that something is the best formula we can have.

I still need more testing, just don't want the lab to explode until the results are in.

12 starts vs 37 starts CT.

I don't know whether Cousins is the answer but I'm willing to give him this season to find out.

I'm surprised that the rest of the fanbase isn't so willing.

Robert had a historic year for a rookie Qb in 2012. Because of that, alot of folks excuse any bad performance/regression he's had in the years afterward, and are more than willing to blame anybody else for his struggles except Robert.
Shanahan's true base offense was West Coast. Jay's is too. Timing offense based on footwork and play from the pocket: something Robert wanted.

So why can't he figure out his three and five step drops? Why can't he figure out his line calls for protection? Where does his personal responsibilities lie? Where do the coaches responsibility start?

Why is it that when Robert's taking sacks left and right,McCoy and Cousins come in and those issues go away for the most part?

Do you seriously believe there are two offensive playbooks?

The RG3 Crowd is alot like Indiana Jones at the end of the Last Crusade: They see the Grail,just out of reach, while barely holding on with the other hand for dear life.

"Indiana, let it go...."

I have seen many here, Cousins believers or not, that agree that he should get every chance to play out the season and show what he's got. Myself included. I don't recall anyone calling for Griffin to be reinserted. I have seen a few suggest that McCoy get a turn but not vehemently.

Personally, I will root for Cousins to do well and for the team to win. I just don't think he is going to prove himself going forward. I fully expect another qb under center next season and that's ok. This team has enough other problems to work on for now other than that position.

Thanks Tom. :)

When Cousins is criticized its bitching. When he's supported it's detailed prescient analysis made by the deeper thinkers here. ;)

More of a generalized observation of both sides, we're all bitchin after a loss, some just seem to do it more than others and feel that their position needs to be further emphasized as if they're afraid someone missed the other multitude of iteration.

It's all good, just gets frustrating as hell.....for good reason.

Tell me how many good Qb's there have been in the history of the NFL who couldn't play from the pocket. Zero! R Wilson gets away with what he does because he has all day when he drops back and he is surrounded by great talent on both sides of the ball, including a great RB. It has nothing to do with scheme.

Tell me how many good Qb's there have been in the history of the NFL who couldn't play from the pocket. Zero!

What's your point, all 3 of our QB's have shown they can play from the pocket at some point in their tenure here.

R Wilson gets away with what he does because he has all day when he drops back and he is surrounded by great talent on both sides of the ball, including a great RB. It has nothing to do with scheme.

The entire football world see's Seattle run option plays a number of times per game except you apparently, yet that's not the scheme. Wilson doesn't have all day behind the line, I don't know what you're watching. He is chased out of the pocket fairly often. When you tailor the plan to the talent, such as running back, Qb, and so on, it's called scheme. Seattle is sustaining a variation of what we ran in 12, and if that ain't scheme, I don't know what is......

I have seen many here, Cousins believers or not, that agree that he should get every chance to play out the season and show what he's got. Myself included. I don't recall anyone calling for Griffin to be reinserted. I have seen a few suggest that McCoy get a turn but not vehemently.

Personally, I will root for Cousins to do well and for the team to win. I just don't think he is going to prove himself going forward. I fully expect another qb under center next season and that's ok. This team has enough other problems to work on for now other than that position.

The quote below sure sounds like an endorsement. Meh...could be wrong.

You seem to be missing the point, so I'll help you out.

Gruden is bending back ass backwards to protect Kirk. He didn't even give Robert that. He cut his legs out from under him mid-season last year, and Robert was left with clean up duty at the end of last year...you remember last year right, where Kirk was benched because he couldn't protect the ball?

No, Robert wasn't given a chance as big as Kirk's being given. Robert went from starter to 3rd string AFTER we heard how much improvement he was making, after a decent pre-season game that Garcon shit-the-bed in, and after Robert was concussed because there was a LT who couldn't play NFL football and a rookie right guard learning a new position, and a RT that still can't bend his waist.

I think one thing is pretty evident: No quarterback is looking good in Gruden's offense. Maybe it's the offense that's the problem...or at least a good portion of the problem.

Gruden hasn't done what he said he'd do: Modify his offense to RG3's abilities. Didn't happen. Gruden got RG3 forced down his throat, and did everything he could to demonstrate that Robert won't ever succeed.

Most of us realize that Robert is done here. There's no crying over spilled milk.

What we don't like is the hypocrisy and lying we've noticed about Gruden. His ineptitude outshines any of his players.

Haha! When will you guys see, Griffin cannot even run the same offense in which he succeeded.

1. The rules have changed...they can crush him now when he releases the ball.
2. He is not as elusive as he once was.

TR1, a question.

Both Cousins and Griffin have been with Jay the same amount of time, correct?

How is it that Cousins knows the offense and his line calls and Robert can't even get his three and five step drops right?

I've asked this before and didn't get much of an explanation: Where does Robert's personal responsibility lie and where does the coaches start?

And for the record: I thought Robert was going to be something that I hadn't seen in a Redskins uniform for the 35 years I've been watching this team: A franchise Qb.

I'm just as disappointed as anyone that he hasn't panned out.

But if I'm a coach and I give my Qb's all a playbook at the same time and one knows it and the other doesn't even display he's grasped it, what in the hell am I supposed to do?

Especially when he can't demonstrate enough fundamentals in the offense to keep from getting killed.

We'll know in short time if Cousins is going to make it. I hope he does....because I'm tired of the carousel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.