• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

[Kevin Sheehan] It all started with George

tshile

http://www.espn980.com/blogs/kevin.php

Great read for those of us too young to have experienced the 70's

Most interesting tidbit to me:
Consider this. During Allen's seven seasons in DC, the Redskins and Cowboys played 15 times and in all 15, both teams played with winning records. In fact, during the Allen-Tom Landry 7-year war, both teams ended each season with a winning record of at least 2 games over .500. Much more impressively is this fact. All 15 games were played with either a) first place in the division on the line, b) wild-card playoff hopes at stake or c) the Super Bowl on the line in the '72 NFC Championship game. That's unprecedented importance. No other division rivalry in the history of the game since the merger has had a run like that one.

Edit: and for those of you that didn't know, nfl films redid their top 10 nfl rivalries last week and redskins Cowboys didn't make the list and wasn't on the also considered list either. What a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lived it. But it's still a good read.

I will always hate the Cowturds more than every other team, combined.

Even with the Mara led $36 million dollar screwing, the Pukes will always be Enemy#1 with me.

Always.

And it started for me before George. Although, he helped me take it to the psychotic level, where it remains to this day. :twitch:

Good stuff.

Though I would like to point out if you end a 14- or 16-game season with a winning record it's impossible to be fewer than two games over .500. :D

My first live game ever was against the Pukes. I walked the grounds of RFK amongst chants of "Dallas Sucks." 7 Yr old kids are very impressionable. :D

George Allen helped me to hate the Cowboys. I was at the '83 NFC Championship game. RFK was rocking. You could feel the whole stadium shaking from "We Want Dallas" chants.

I read where the fans intimidated the Cowboys from a full stadium chanting an hour before kickoff. It had to be an emotional boost to our players. The chills and excitement that day will never be duplicated.

Hopefully we can do the same at FedEx this weekend.

George Allen helped me to hate the Cowboys. I was at the '83 NFC Championship game. RFK was rocking. You could feel the whole stadium shaking from "We Want Dallas" chants.

I read where the fans intimidated the Cowboys from a full stadium chanting an hour before kickoff. It had to be an emotional boost to our players. The chills and excitement that day will never be duplicated.

Hopefully we can do the same at FedEx this weekend.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-sr...m/1997/stadium/special/articles/homefield.htm

Russ Grimm remembers the first time he realized RFK Stadium was special. It was just before the 1982 NFC championship game, and the Washington Redskins had gathered inside their locker room for last-minute instructions from Coach Joe Gibbs.

Whatever Gibbs said that afternoon has long since been forgotten. What Grimm and his teammates experienced hasn’t.

At first, it resembled the roar of a jet engine parked outside their door. Then it was accompanied by the rocking of an earthquake.

"It sounded like the place was going to come apart," Grimm recalled 15 years later. "It was like nothing you’d ever heard."

Finally, the roar became decipherable and players nodded and smiled in awe as they understood that what they were hearing was a long, loud chant.

We want Dallas!
We want Dallas!
We want Dallas!

I hope everyone heads in earlier. We're going in 45 minutes before kickoff to watch warm ups and be part of whatever chants are going on.

I also hope they delay the game 10-20 minutes like they did for the giants game. Helped get everyone in the stadium for kickoff.

Seeing the video on front page brings back special memories and gives me chills.

Once in a blue moon, I'll catch the NFL Films clips of George Allen on the sidelines,talking to his players and himself.

Favorite clip #1: George telling his players "They're a bunch of god damned frontrunners, just punch 'em in the mouth" (you get the drift)

Clip #2: It's late in the game(at least I think so) Skins winning and George is going "Tom Landry..hahahaha..Tex Schramm..hahaha...The Dallas Cowboys..hahaha...Oh Boy!"

#3: "Forty men together can't lose!"

George Allen and his hatred of everything Dallas was AWESOME!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XSo6Mv-wL8[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ8RUM1L7pI[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSIf07UuwMg[/media]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.