• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Keith Olbermann gives abrupt goodbye to MSNBC show

Sarge

New White House Press Spokesman?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110122/ap_on_en_tv/us_tv_olbermann

NEW YORK – Keith Olbermann was MSNBC's most popular personality and single-handedly led its transformation to an outspoken, left-leaning cable news network in prime time. Despite that, he often seemed to be walking on a tightrope with his job. Friday night, it snapped.

Olbermann returned from one last commercial break on "Countdown" to tell viewers it was his last broadcast, and read a James Thurber short story in a three-minute exit statement. Simultaneously, MSNBC e-mailed a statement that "MSNBC and Keith Olbermann have ended their contract." The network thanked him and said, "we wish him well in his future endeavors."

From time to time I would watch him just to see if he was making sense. Last night I turned him on to see what he had to say. Imagine my surprise and joy when he said the phrase, "This will be my final Countdown" leading into commercial break. It was the most thrilling cliffhanger I have ever experienced. I was glued to the TV! As he came on and announced his days as the host of the show are over, I had a warm feeling running up my leg!

As soon as I heard about the Comcast purchase of NBC Universal, I figured it would be Rachel Maddow first. I guess with Olberman violating company policies and his latest vitriolic rant over the Arizona shootings, since Giffords was one of the races where he donated money, was too much for the new parent company of MSNBC to stomach.

I strongly believe there needs to be a voice on both sides of the spectrum, but it needs to be honest. The likes of Olberman, Maddow, Matthews and others at MSNBC have been far from honest for too long. Time to go and take your voices to radio.

Edit: I also believe Sean Hannity needs to go.

On a side note, Fox needs to fear this Comcast takeover. They're going to swing that news organization to the middle and likely begin to draw on the viewership at Fox.

Some early speculation had him going to CNN, which would be surprised if this happens. Personally, would love to see Olberman doing talk radio or TV somewhere in middle of Alaska.

Olberman was ridiculous. No more than the looney-tunes on the other side, but ridiculous none the less.

I miss the TV news personalities of my youth. Folks who reported the news as objectively as possible, minus the personal left or right spin. Those days are gone forever. Now you have to digest versions of events from multiple sources, and try to compress their alternative assessments into something in the middle you can believe approaches the truth.

I'll tell you something else I can't stand and that is the arrogance and smugness of most of today's news people. Just report the news. It's not about how smart, attractive, and clever you are. It's really not.

I was shocked to hear his salary. $7 million a year, and his ratings were a joke.

I'm definitely in the wrong line of work.

Personally, would love to see Olberman doing talk radio or TV somewhere in middle of Alaska.
Better yet, in the coupe of the decade, Fox lands Olberman. They create a new reality hunting show.

The show?

Sarah Palin's Alaskan Varmint Hunter

Or Sarah Palin - The Shower Chronicles. She could use different luffa's every week.

Hey...I'd watch :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjHP2g4N3S8&feature=player_embedded[/media]

I miss the TV news personalities of my youth. Folks who reported the news as objectively as possible, minus the personal left or right spin. Those days are gone forever. Now you have to digest versions of events from multiple sources, and try to compress their alternative assessments into something in the middle you can believe approaches the truth.

I'll tell you something else I can't stand and that is the arrogance and smugness of most of today's news people. Just report the news. It's not about how smart, attractive, and clever you are. It's really not.

agree with one additional thought: now more than ever...personal experience with "the facts" matters.

I'm not a fan of Olbermann's. He really did his best work on ESPN.

I wonder how this departure came about. The whole thing seems a little odd.

Henry, this is pure speculation on my part so take it with a grain of salt. I thoroughly believe it was the result of the Comcast purchase of NBC Universal. I have heard and read stories of the more conservative nature of Comcast, so I figured there would be a housecleaning at MSNBC. To be honest, I thought Rachel Maddow would be the first to go. I figure Chris Matthews has enough clout in Washington that he might be kept on. I did not see Olberman as the first to go though.

I find it odd that people like Olbermann and Stewart go from being comedians (or in Olbermann's case a sports broadcaster) to someone that we all suddenly think is so intelligent and trust in what he says fully.

I wouldn't put Stewart in the same class as Olbermann. Stewart still IS a comedian. Maybe some of us think he's intelligent, but as a comedian. :)

Henry, this is pure speculation on my part so take it with a grain of salt. I thoroughly believe it was the result of the Comcast purchase of NBC Universal. I have heard and read stories of the more conservative nature of Comcast, so I figured there would be a housecleaning at MSNBC. To be honest, I thought Rachel Maddow would be the first to go. I figure Chris Matthews has enough clout in Washington that he might be kept on. I did not see Olberman as the first to go though.

well...El.....conservative or not...those XXXXXXs at COMCAST keep raising my rates every year for the last 10 years with no change in services!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.