• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

just A Little Concern?

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Just A Little Concern?

…DeAngelo Hall would have drilled Griffin on a blitz in which the rookie ran a keeper to the left side. As he returned to the sidelines, Hall said a couple times, “How’s he gonna break a tackle with his eyes closed?… He had his eyes closed.”

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/rgii.../t.co/r9MxcWnH

When was the last time DHall ever hit a QB?

Beuller? Anyone......Beuller?

Didn't he get a pretty good shot off on Tom Brady last year?

Didn't he get a pretty good shot off on Tom Brady last year?

D Hall has had one sack in his entire career. Since 2004.

That's what was so absurd when he claimed he was going to go after Vick's injured ribs.

But he isn't afraid to tackle and if I remember correctly, he popped Brady pretty good. It wasn't a sack though. Ugh! That just reminded me of the BS call on London last year when he popped Brady.

El, that was a bs call on Fletcher. Total bs. But we are in a new league now.

I'm a little more concerned that D-Hall is running wild in our backfield, that he claims RG3's eyes were actually closed, and that he would even feel the need to say such a thing.

I agree he doesn't need to say this, but if Griff is playing scared that should be the concern.

I agree he doesn't need to say this, but if Griff is playing scared that should be the concern.

I saw a comment from Griff the other day that I didn't like. The first comment I have ever seen from him that I didn't like.

Something to the effect of "If a QB doesn't trust his offensive line, then he is going to play scared. I'm just trying to trust the guys up front."

That, combined with our injuries, is a huge red flag to me. Why not just fix it right now?

Who even goes into a season gambling like that?

That, combined with our injuries, is a huge red flag to me. Why not just fix it right now?

Who even goes into a season gambling like that?

And how would you propose they fix it? There aren't a bunch of all-pro offensive lineman just sitting around waiting for people to call. In fact, I doubt there is anything available other than journeymen.

We don't have anyone to trade that could get us much in return. Cooley won't fetch a top quality lineman. Giving up all of our draft picks would seem to me to be a panic move a la Vinny. And you also have to find a trading partner willing to give up a good lineman. Who has spare top level linemen?

All I keep telling myself over and over is how much criticism and grief Cam Newton got in preseason before tearing it up. One analyst said her didn't belong on an NFL practice field!

I'm hoping and praying this is the same...but I'm losing confidence daily. Sigh. :(
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Not worried at all.

It's a rookie QB's first training camp.

The sooner the rest of the fan base and media realize he's a rookie and lower expectations the better off the rest of us are going to be.

The amount of explaining away i've heard people doing to negate the fact that he's a rookie QB is irritating. It doesn't matter that the giants were 9-7 and won the division, it doesn't matter that vick is injury prone and romo is overrated. Griffin is a rookie QB, starting his career with a team that's been 4th out of 4 in its division for the majority of the last 20 years, in a division that has 3 QB's that have all gone to pro bowls, all of which have post season experience, and one of them already has two super bowl rings.

He's going to get lit up. he's going to thrown INTs. he's going to make bad throws. and he's going to do that in games and training camp and daily practice.

If he comes out and lights it up and wins us the division in year 1 - then kudos all the way around and i'll jump for joy like everyone else. But thats something to hope for, not expect. My expectations are that he starts (and finishes) 16 games, and plays the last 8 better than the first 8. Anything more is asking a bit much in my opinion.

So no. I'm not concerned :)

I agree with China that we need to relax about the OL, there really is nothing we can do at this point w/out giving up too much. And like I said in another thread, the OL got better as the season progressed last year. It would be ideal if we had a vet to anchor the interior of the line, but we will have some young guys step in and produce.

Mike, I know you don't like Hall and that is fine, but you cannot take away from the fact that he is not afraid to tackle. Any run play that I have seen come to him on the edge usually finds him right in the thick of things. Coverage on the edge? Yeah, he is a panty waste. I hope Barnes progresses enough on the outside in one on one matchups that we can put Hall in the slot. From what I have read recently, that is where Barnes is supposed to excel, not in the slot. And someone recently suggested that Hall would benefit from a move inside ala Woodson in Green Bay. I don't know enough about either situation to know if it's just wishful thinking but D Hall can and will tackle.

As for what tshile said, he has a point about the expectations of Griff. Unfortunately we paid a steep price for him and he has been marketed by the Redskins savvy marketing team as the savior of the franchise. Because of his price tag, I expect a little more than I would of had he simply been our pick at #2. And because Danny boy is so good at marketing, the sheeple will expect a Cam Newton type of season out of him as well.

Sheeple? Really?

I don't think anyone is expecting a Cam Newton type season, but we want to see competence on the football field. Closing your eyes when he's about to be tackled and heaving the ball is not competence, its about the worst thing you can ever want from a QB. Quite a difference between that and expecting a Newtonian season.

Sheeple? Really?

I don't think anyone is expecting a Cam Newton type season, but we want to see competence on the football field. Closing your eyes when he's about to be tackled and heaving the ball is not competence, its about the worst thing you can ever want from a QB. Quite a difference between that and expecting a Newtonian season.

I'm not talking about you Jaimie. There are a lot of people around the DC area talking about Super Bowl this year because they don't know any better. I just shake my head when I hear it.

Mike, I know you don't like Hall and that is fine, but you cannot take away from the fact that he is not afraid to tackle. Any run play that I have seen come to him on the edge usually finds him right in the thick of things. Coverage on the edge? Yeah, he is a panty waste. I hope Barnes progresses enough on the outside in one on one matchups that we can put Hall in the slot. From what I have read recently, that is where Barnes is supposed to excel, not in the slot. And someone recently suggested that Hall would benefit from a move inside ala Woodson in Green Bay. I don't know enough about either situation to know if it's just wishful thinking but D Hall can and will tackle.
D Hall certainly tries to tackle, but he's terrible at it.
And he did have a play last year where he simply gave up on a RB coming around the edge and it resulted in a touchdown run (or maybe just a huge gain? I can't really remember :( )for 20+ yards or something, instead of him being pushed out of bounds. I can't seem to find the video of it though.

As for what tshile said, he has a point about the expectations of Griff. Unfortunately we paid a steep price for him and he has been marketed by the Redskins savvy marketing team as the savior of the franchise. Because of his price tag, I expect a little more than I would of had he simply been our pick at #2. And because Danny boy is so good at marketing, the sheeple will expect a Cam Newton type of season out of him as well.
Yes, and some people associate that steep price with meaning he should be ready to go this year. I just disagree with that. Even Payton Manning had a terrible rookie season. Aaron Rodgers didn't play for years. Tom Brady didn't start his first year. Eli Manning certainly had a slow start, and Drew Brees was cast aside by the team that drafted him.

Now, none of those players were picked by teams who gave up what we gave up to get Griffin, but if a terrible first year is just the start to a career that is like those mentioned above then it was worth it to acquire him. Some of those guys are sure fire Hall of Famers while the others are currently trying to make sure they are when their career is done. There are 8 super bowl rings among those guys, and 11 appearances. 7 of the last 10 superbowls included at least one of those QB's, in 3 of them both starting QB's are in that list.

Unfortunately i seem to be in the minority when it comes to expectations, but maybe it's just because the crazy people are the ones screaming the loudest :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't it D Hall who stopped and watched Gronkowski as he ran over three other defenders?

tshile, if you read closely what I said, we really are on the same page. I expect more from Griff than any of the QB's you mentioned because of the price tag, but I didn't say I was one that thinks he needs to go to the Super Bowl. I don't even think he will get us to the playoffs this year like I did just before training camp. But I sure do expect more than what I saw from Peyton his first year, we have a better supporting cast than he did.

Brees is a poor comparison because of his injury, Rodgers didn't see the field for his first few seasons because they had a Hall of Famer in front of him and Brady had very low expectations because he was a first round pick.

I would expect about the same as Eli. That Giants team was average with a good defense and good coaching and Eli struggled to learn the game in his rookie season. The only difference is I don't even expect a SB in Griff's second season, but we sure as hell be a playoff team by next year at the latest!

I'm sorry El but are you talking about the same D Hall the could not tackle Brett Favre a couple years ago?

I tackle better and that is saying something.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not talking about you Jaimie. There are a lot of people around the DC area talking about Super Bowl this year because they don't know any better. I just shake my head when I hear it.

Gotchya. Its the Redskins QB sitch, it tends to get a little knee-jerk around here. :D

tshile, if you read closely what I said, we really are on the same page.
I'm sorry - I meant my post to come off as more adding to what you were saying than trying to say I was against you :)

I was just rambling, I agree that we're on the same page :) You've read many of my posts, I tend to ramble :)

Wasn't it D Hall who stopped and watched Gronkowski as he ran over three other defenders?

Yep...instead of tackling him, Hall watches as Gronk carries Gomes & Doughty for a few yards, sheds them, then gains an extra 15 on the play (EDIT: whoops, another 28 yards).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIoNTSmxP7E[/media]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.