• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Jon Gruden Anyone?

GSF

The Starter
Reaction score
Will Gruden be the next superbowl winning coach to come to the Skins? Didn't go to well for the previous 2. Seems like a classic Snyder move to me.

No. No coach that has won a Superbowl with one team has ever one it with a second. The closest was Parcells getting the Patriots to the Superbowl but losing. The motivation is not there. Go with someone young and motivated, maybe they can bring some energy and enthusiasm. I don't want to see any more hasbeens or retreads. Fresh blood.

No thanks.

Not only do I dislike his MNF shtick I think we should avoid retreads at all costs. Let the GM do his job and find the right coach, not the biggest name.

Mike Holmgren came closer

Unless Allen is also a GM bringing in Jay Gruden won't help and I'm sure Jon is telling him to stay far away from this

Can we stop all the talk about a coach and start thinking bigger picture? We need a GM. Then let the GM hire the coach.

Scott Pioli? He wasn't given the time in KC with a quality head coach or capable QB but he sure built a good team there and of course was instrumental in the success in New England, and I believe Pioli can build another winner

Scot McCloughan? I keep hearing his name bantered about for a position as a new GM. How much of the Seahawks success in player acquisitions lay with him? I would prefer someone hungry at this position...someone who hasn't won it all already.

Eric DeCosta? Before Shanahan was hired I was clamoring for Snyder to pry DeCosta away from Baltimore. He has been under Ozzie's wing for a long time and the proximity of team's creates a chance him to make an easy transition.

I really believe we are thinking short term by discussing new coaches. We need to think big picture. I like Bruce Allen, his is a name that is synonymous with this organization, but how much of this debacle lay on his shoulders? We need someone who has spent a long time under the wing of success and wants to create his own legacy, but I wouldn't be opposed to someone like Pioli. I just want someone who has the skill to come in here, tell Danny Boy he is going to build a winner, and have the right temperament to work with Snyder...keeping him involved while not letting him meddle. A good owner is involved with the team, but knows when to stay out of the way and we need someone who can do that with Snyder. I think Snyder does not need another Shanahan to tell him to stay out...he needs someone who will tell him to be a part of the process...just limited.

I believe that it is near unanimous that we want a football GM. My blog last week dealt with the subject and it was an overwhelming preference. I don't think anyone is jumping the shark on coach first, then football GM.

I believe that it is near unanimous that we want a football GM. My blog last week dealt with the subject and it was an overwhelming preference. I don't think anyone is jumping the shark on coach first, then football GM.

But the way everyone...and I am not just talking about this site...has talked about a new coach over the last 18 hours, not many are thinking about who is going to hire that coach. I don't trust Snyder to understand who will best run a football team on the field in Washington. Which concerns me about him finding the right GM, but I have to think this latest lesson, hiring a retread, is going to sink in when he evaluates the direction of this team and helps him understand a coach cannot be in charge of player personnel, coach, and vice President. He needs to have an individual in all three positions.

He's taking a lot of **** about the current state of affairs but from everything I have seen, he did mostly stay out of Shanahan's way or at the very least gave Shanahan everything he wanted. Granted, he did get too close to Griffin, the same way he got too close to Portis, and that is not good. But the team has been run by Shanahan the last 4 years and it's gotten us here because his ego was too big to understand he cannot build a winner by himself. If Shanny wanted out last year, he should have gone into the Front Office in the off-season and given the reigns to his son when he felt he needed to stick around one more year to avoid the perception of giving up on Griffin because of his knee. He could have stepped into the Front Office and let his son take over. If we'd won, great...if it looked like this, he could say it was a learning experience for Kyle. I think the good news is it only took 4 years to get to where we are, instead of languishing in 8-8 land for a while, winning a Division crown or two along the way.

Jon Gruden has already said he isn't leaving ESPN this year. His contract is up next year with ESPN.

Jon Gruden has already said he isn't leaving ESPN this year. His contract is up next year with ESPN.

You know that doesn't mean anything.

I see Jon Gruden more for the Giants gig once Coughlin hangs it up

Just to clarify, I do not think hiring Gruden would be a good move. I think it would end up very similar to how it ended up with the last 2 superbowl winning coaches. I am just saying I could see Snyder going that route.

Can we stop all the talk about a coach and start thinking bigger picture? We need a GM. Then let the GM hire the coach.

Scott Pioli? He wasn't given the time in KC with a quality head coach or capable QB but he sure built a good team there and of course was instrumental in the success in New England, and I believe Pioli can build another winner

Scot McCloughan? I keep hearing his name bantered about for a position as a new GM. How much of the Seahawks success in player acquisitions lay with him? I would prefer someone hungry at this position...someone who hasn't won it all already.

Eric DeCosta? Before Shanahan was hired I was clamoring for Snyder to pry DeCosta away from Baltimore. He has been under Ozzie's wing for a long time and the proximity of team's creates a chance him to make an easy transition.

I really believe we are thinking short term by discussing new coaches. We need to think big picture. I like Bruce Allen, his is a name that is synonymous with this organization, but how much of this debacle lay on his shoulders? We need someone who has spent a long time under the wing of success and wants to create his own legacy, but I wouldn't be opposed to someone like Pioli. I just want someone who has the skill to come in here, tell Danny Boy he is going to build a winner, and have the right temperament to work with Snyder...keeping him involved while not letting him meddle. A good owner is involved with the team, but knows when to stay out of the way and we need someone who can do that with Snyder. I think Snyder does not need another Shanahan to tell him to stay out...he needs someone who will tell him to be a part of the process...just limited.

Don't we already have 2 GMs on staff? 1 real GM, plus Bruce. How many more do you want?

Last edited:
I hear you, but seriously doubt that Dan would fire Smith. He's our next GM.

OK, while I am not a fan of the move, I hope he'd let Smith do his job and be the decision makers when it comes to putting a product on the field. We have Smith, we have Bruce Allen and Shanahan has been the one in charge of fielding a team. That has to end!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.