• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

John Madden has passed away at 85.

DieselPwr44

The Owner's Favorite
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

RIP to a legend that did a whole hell of alot for the game.

I post this here because some of my fondest childhood football memories were narrated by John Madden and Pat Summerall and I know I'm not alone here.

If I close my eyes, I can still see the telestrator going crazy and Madden getting legitimately excited describing the Counter Trey: Look here Pat! You got Russ Grimm and Big Joe Jacoby...6'6 310 lbs and pulling across the formation and John Riggins is right in Jacoby's hip pocket!!"

Or the time Madden and Summerall were discussing how much Dave Butz's head weighed: "They say his head weighs 5 lbs! Pat: How do you weigh somebody's head?"

Or in the 1991 NFC Title game on a touchdown run late in the game "Sometimes Pat, you still need an Old Hog like Russ Grimm in the game to make a key block..."

Madden and his enthusiasm painted one hell of a picture...............

I just watched the All Madden show on Christmas. You could tell he was soaking it all in. All the players, commentators, fans and family showing love to the man that shaped the NFL.

He is the most important person ever in the NFL. More important than any player or coach. What he did to expand the broadcasting, the game, the commentating....the man literally is the NFL.

Players who normally hated playing on Thanksgiving now looked forward and dreamed of a 6 legged turkey, or a turducken! He made you want to perform and be at your best for him.

He is the one thing every single NFL fan will ever agree to. Madden is the NFL.

Go to the 3:00 minute mark and listen.

Send this to Ashburn. Rivera, Wright and Hurney need to listen to Madden here.
Part of me smiles...gets misty eyed at the memory. Another part is furious that it's went from that euphoria to the circus it is now.....

Preach Coach Madden!!!!

Those days will never return unfortunately. And there will never be a guy who epitomizes the NFL the way John Madden did.

The man was unparalleled as a broadcaster and, honestly, I think he is now underrated as a coach because of his broadcasting career.

He still owns the best winning percentage of any head coach with more than 100 games.

The first time I discovered FOX was the football channel was probably the year Frerotte injured his neck. Madden's voice, and those Tinactin ads were sure memorable.

Also had Madden '95 and would obviously pick the Redskins. I probably spent most of the game in Dime and blitzing #54 up the middle. Of course I knew #28 was Darrell Green and #30 was Brian Mitchell. The fucking Cowboys were a powerful team in that game(and they won the SB in real life).

I'm probably not the only one, but when I think of Madden, I think of 2 things :
Circles on the screen, and "BOOM !"
He pretty much trademarked all that...among other things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.