Joe Bugel Has Passed Away

One of many experimental iterations ...

Hog Fever

Vescere bracis meis
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Loved Bugel. The respect he earned from the guys he coached was obvious every time they talked about him. I met him once years ago and, not surprisingly, he was just as nice and genuine a guy as you hoped he would be. As the greatest era of Redskin football fades in the rear view mirror I guess it's inevitable that the people who made that era possible fade as well. RIP Joe.

Rymanofthenorth

BGObsessed
Reaction score
I live in the warmest city in the coldest provinc

UTEP

I love Gibbs but one of the reasons Gibbs was so successful was because he put great guys in place. Bugel was the best Oline coach in history, and just because he was not a great HC doesn't change that. I am in my mid 40's and seeing all these icons from my childhood passing, is really unpleasant.

Sarge

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score

Air Force

RIP Joe. You helped make the 80s special. Crying shame only one member of your line is in the HOF

MikefromOH

Ring of Fame
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Navy

what a major loss to us as fans. It made me realize that Coach Gibbs is up there, too.

I am not ready for that.

Elephant

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Florida State

what a major loss to us as fans. It made me realize that Coach Gibbs is up there, too.

I am not ready for that.
I was thinking the same thing.

Neophyte

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

Gibbs is 79 and Petibon is 82.

Skins fans have some tough days coming. And no, I am not ready for that either.

Enforcer

The UDFA
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

George Mason

Truly a sad loss. RIP to a coaching legend!

Oh man, I'm not ready for that either fellas.

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score

The Redskins coaching staff under Gibbs was very underrated. The media focuses on what assistants do as head coaches later on, but that is irrelevant to recognizing the greatness of teachers like Bugel, Jim Hanifan, Petitbon, Emmitt Thomas and others.

And how about Charley Taylor? We somehow won a Super Bowl with Alvin Garrett and a #8 round pick, Charlie Brown, as the starters.

The Redskins got a lot of production out of players other teams didn’t want and that’s the sign of great coaching.

SkinsOrlando

Searching for the 6 fingered man
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Kent State

As the men and women we have respected over the years pass on, it only helps remind that mortality comes for us all. Buges was a helluva coach.

MikefromOH

Ring of Fame
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Navy

"When the call came, I was in bed at about 2 o'clock in the morning," Bugel says. "My wife starts screaming, hollering, laughing. He told me, 'Joe, we're going back home.' I said, 'When do you want me there?' He says, 'Tomorrow.' It took me three seconds to pack."
In his second tenure with the Redskins, Bugel’s group led the way for a 1,000-yard rusher for five consecutive seasons (2004-08) and offensive tackle Chris Samuels went to the Pro Bowl four times under Bugel’s tutelage.
I got the call around that same time a few days later from a friend of mine. He said "how excited are you? Gibbs is back!!" It was 0200 and I thought he was just drunk so I hung up on him.

He is by far the greatest assistant coach of all time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Private conversations
Help Users
    You haven't joined any rooms.
    Chat 0