• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Jay Gruden hired

Now this man ^^^ is chief engineer of the Posi-Train.

He'll yes! Alllllllllll aboard!

And I hope he is right on every claim!!!

There's no question. We just hired one of the most intelligent, and motivational coaches in the league.

I'm rather curious actually: what was your exact reaction, physically, when you found out? :D

Lol.....Dismay honestly. Pure raw "Oh no they didn't" shock. And then, complete confidence about all of the great things ahead.

This is just like getting RG3, we waited so long to get a real QB, and we have waited so long to get a younger hungry coach who wants to win, and make his mark in the NFL, and with the Washington Redskins!! This is a great day, Hail To The Redskins!!!!

This is just like getting RG3, we waited so long to get a real QB, and we have waited so long to get a younger hungry coach who wants to win, and make his mark in the NFL, and with the Washington Redskins!! This is a great day, Hail To The Redskins!!!!

I like that we were his final interview (while he still had others on the docket). I would have been very concerned had he had the other interviews. It would have led me to believe that money was the most important thing, but to have had other interviews, and never leaving town once he got here... it appears that he wants to be here.

Yes indeed this was a good hire. This was a Robert Griffin dividend. Gruden wanted to come work with Robert, now we need some FA wide receivers coming for the same reason.

What I like about Gruden is that this is his first Head coaching gig and he has the drive. He took a perennial lowly Bengals team to the playoffs last 3 years and he's only been there 3 years. Considering we are at rock bottom, there's huge upside and nowhere to go but up. This hire is totally unlike any other from Snyder. The most potential yet, and finally, not another big name retread thank goodness. Bruce is bringing the "band" back together from great Tampa days. Hopefully, we keep the best of what we have in the way of offensive scheme to not lose anything Morris has brought to the table. Gruden hopefully will also check his ego at the door, we don't need another "my way or the highway" coach. Feel pretty good about him being a team player. His arrival will legitimize the coaching staff, no more nepotism and conflict of interests. We may have finally got this right!

Someone said that Haslett will be asst head coach and Morris takes over as d-coordinator. Gruden said all decisions haven't been made.

Another year of Haslett is going to be tough to swallow.

After being run out of New Orleans, then coming here and taking a top 10 defense and running it into the ground, it's inexcusable that he even has a job. He
should have been fired even before Shanny

I like that we were his final interview (while he still had others on the docket). I would have been very concerned had he had the other interviews. It would have led me to believe that money was the most important thing, but to have had other interviews, and never leaving town once he got here... it appears that he wants to be here.

Not only that,but WE did not let him leave town, Bruce found his man and the deal was done. That is how it is supposed to be done! His presser was awesome, you can see the fire, but you can see that he is a "team player". I loved it when he said he didn't care what happened here in the past. You could see how proud Bruce was of this hire, and wasn't it nice to see our GM introduce the coach without Dan sitting right there!

Great things are in our future Ladies and Gentlemen!

Depression makes people too tired to post stuff like that. Haslett remaining as defensive coordinator is it for me. I'm done with this team

To be honest-and selfish-I would really miss having you around Sarge. I have a lot of respect for you even if we're not always on the same page on some things (although we definitely are on others).

I hope you decide to try to hang in there for a bit longer-I think things do have a shot at improving.

However, I will respect your right to make your own decision of course-and if it turns out that you vanish from the scene, do know that I wish you well.

To be honest-and selfish-I would really miss having you around Sarge. I have a lot of respect for you even if we're not always on the same page on some things (although we definitely are on others).

I hope you decide to try to hang in there for a bit longer-I think things do have a shot at improving.

However, I will respect your right to make your own decision of course-and if it turns out that you vanish from the scene, do know that I wish you well.

Well said, serv.

Sarge, Gruden has had 28 winning seasons out of 31 years.

He wins. We'll win.

Don't be the guy who sells the stock at the absolute low. And I'd miss you.

Well said, serv.

Sarge, Gruden has had 28 winning seasons out of 31 years.

He wins. We'll win.

Don't be the guy who sells the stock at the absolute low. And I'd miss you.

Oh, I'm not going ot abandon the board and my friends here. Frankly, the board is the last tie I have to the team. I watched about a half hour total of the
disaster this year, and of course because of personal reasons I really haven't had the energy to do much here. But I will state now that the retention of Haslett is
a crime against humanity, nad in two years when the D still sucks it's going to cause turmoil to have to can him and start over. Again. I would have much preferred
a clean slate all at once

But I will state now that the retention of Haslett is
a crime against humanity, nad in two years when the D still sucks it's going to cause turmoil to have to can him and start over. Again. I would have much preferred
a clean slate all at once

I'm starting to think they do it on purpose. In a year or 2 they will use their Haslett Scapegoat card.

To me it doesn't even matter if he was handcuffed by Shanahan the past 3-4 years. Did Shanahan handcuff him while coaching Denver when Haslett was in NO/STL?

Haslett was a better Head Coach than DC anyway. He's never been a good DC. He was coach of the year twice though, once in NO, once in Arena League or UFL or something.

Even if all signs point to shan running the D?

YES! For me his entire career speaks volumes. You can throw out the last 4 years here and he still has no business even being hired as far as I'm concerned. I'm with Sarge here to a degree, they keep Haslett and you can pretty much kiss my ass goodbye for a good long time.

That proves to me that the philosophy/outlook is severely flawed and Jay Gruden isn't going to change that. Haslett has NEVER been any good anywhere he's been with the exception of 2 years in Pittsburgh (where he essentially pulled a Switzer with Lebeau's players and schemes) and New Orleans where he was able to squeeze one good year out among several other not so good years that eventually led to his firing. His defenses with maybe 2 or 3 years as exceptions have consistently been ranked near 20 or worse so I have no hope whatsoever that he will ever have this D playing anything better than average. His schemes are also among the most maddening I've seen in my lifetime. You can guarantee that if it's 3rd and 8 Haslett will give Tony Romo a ten to 15 yard cushion on the WR's and allow them to make catches for 1st downs before contact is even made. Throw in the rampant inability to adjust to what the other team does and he's a guy who will drive me away if he's retained in any meaningful way. I'm sick of bashing my head against this wall and I've been one of the more stridently positive people among our fan base.

If there is any substance at all to rumors of Haslett being 'promoted' I think that's a clear sign that the team wants to move on from Haslett having any significant role in defensive scheme, game planning, or play-calling.

In other words, I think it's unlikely Haslett ends up in his current role and we'll have new hope on that side of the ball.

Thanks Mike mucho appreciated and the feeling is mutual. :)

In my case let's be realistic here...I've been about as hardcore as you can get without your family calling the loony bin on ya, and I'm fed up and steamed right now. But even if I refrain from going to games next season and sell my tix in an effort to save what little sanity I have left as a football fan, I'm still going to be pulling for and following the team. I can tell myself I'm not at this stage but get real.

You're not going anywhere and you damn well know it!

If there is any substance at all to rumors of Haslett being 'promoted' I think that's a clear sign that the team wants to move on from Haslett having any significant role in defensive scheme, game planning, or play-calling.

In other words, I think it's unlikely Haslett ends up in his current role and we'll have new hope on that side of the ball.

I hope so my friend, I sure hope so. It would do a lot for my ability to be positive about the future. The Norv days of scary good offensive numbers supported by record setting horrible D's are still fresh in my mind. I still remember 1999 when we had one of the greatest offensive outputs of all time (everyone remembers the greatest show on turf but not many were aware that the Skins broke the all time scoring record that year too) and it was coupled with a 30th ranked (IIRC) D that couldn't stop a baby from rolling over them.

I think Gruden is being smart - you don't come in guns-blazing, creating all kinds of angst. You get the lay of the land, learn what you've got, then make the harder decisions. It's what smart leaders do. So I suspect you can take a lot of what Gruden said on day 1 with a healthy grain of salt. Everyone knows there will be changes but there's no benefit on telegraphing ideas you might have until you are sure.

I can't help but wonder if maybe Shanahan took the shackles off Haz for the last 7 games last year and that is where the defensive performance came from. That and Kyle's offense putting up stupid numbers which dictated that opponents throw the ball more making defensive play calling easier...

He's being paid by Snyder next year anyway, they can call him the "Assistant Head Coach" even if he's really just the coffee server during team meetings and we won't even know the difference.

Early rumors are he'll be Assistant Head Coach, which is a nice way of saying you don't get to run the D anymore. He'll likely end up being a position coach with a fancy title.

Morris is expected to be DC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.