• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Jason peters

Rymanofthenorth

BGObsessed
Reaction score
I live in the warmest city in the coldest provinc
Alma Mater
UTEP
what do you guys think about trying to sign peters to an incentive laden deal? if we got him and worford our left side would at least be solid, and peters doesnt seem to be getting much interest. instead of giving him a massive guarantee , try signing him to deal that is cap friendly but has potential for big money, who knows, but we should at least make the offer. if we did get peters and worford, to go with what we have, our Oline would at least be solid barring injury, where right now, we are not looking ready for the season. at the very least it busy us another season to find young guys in the draft and if the young LT we drafted beats out peters, we could move peters inside.

Has the same agent as Trent Williams so that might be a hang up....

hes old

I dont mean like walk the Earth old

but, hes football old as dirt

plus, its different when a player plays in to his old age on his original team or the one he spent the long term with. he would be coming to a new team, a new system, he wouldn't have the same rep or respect. I just dont see how it would be a good sign for us.

I guess if we can get him for pennies and he's willing to 'compete' for a starting position in camp... i can't really hate it. I just don't think he's going to do that. My opinion.... he's going to want security, and he's going to want to start.

The other part of this, is he likely beats out Charles in camp for the starting job. Which means Charles doesn't practice with the first team, or the starting O-line. He doesn't get the majority of the reps with Haskins and does not get exposed to the protection adjustments and other nuance of Haskins play. I guess my question is , how much does that then delay Charles and is it worth it? I don't see us competing this year, of course I would LOVE to be wrong about that, but I'm looking at 2021 and 2022 as our upward trajectory. SO, is the gap between Charles so much that it is worth delaying Charles at that position? I don't think so, just my opinion... but I don't see enough short term gain going into a season that likely has its struggles, to slow the development of our long term option. Peter's play has dropped. He hasn't been to the pro bowl since 2017, and that's a popularity contest anyways... and he hasn't been an All Pro since 2014. I guess I have the same thought process here that I did with Trent. We're not an LT away from competing, so spending money that could be used toward the long term is not my preference.

It is also not lost on me that we need to protect our QBs back side, so it comes back to wondering if Peters is that much of an upgrade in 2020 over Charles that it becomes about protecting Haskins. Like I said before, I wonder if it really is....

Well, I like the idea of keeping everything on the table but I'm going to agree with ST here. Wherever Peters goes he's going to want to start and I'm sure after the first few games of the season there will be a team desperate enough to bring him in. Someone always gets hurt. If we had a team that was just a LT away from being a SB contender my opinion might be different. We got lucky last season with Penn with both his health and play, but net gain for the team was just about zero. As is, I'd rather go young and see how things play out.

Here's the problem with signing aging vets (and please note I am only saying it's a problem, not that we shouldn't do it in all circumstances)...

When you are a rebuilding team, and focusing on draft picks as the core of your new team, every aging vet you hire now (to get better at a position for a season or two) is a roster spot that some young potential future player does not get. There's no avoiding that reality. That's a bigger deal than it seems. Look at Stephen Sims last season. He's the kind of UDFA that you now have to let go (or relegate to the PS0 in order to make room for that 1-2 year player. Yes, that vet makes you moderately better at a position of need. But now you never find out that the young guy you weren't sure about can actually contribute.

I'm a bigger advocate for taking your lumps while you rebuild. An indisputable fact is that a rebuild takes multiple seasons. There simply aren't enough draft picks and young FA's to fill every roster hole and need with high quality potential starters. That's a reality and for a few seasons, your record may reflect it as you have roster holes you can't entirely mask. But in the long run, you're going to thrive because you kept maximizing young talent and build for years to come, not just to add a win or two in the upcoming season.

I agree guys, except for in one single condition. Oline. the only position where "taking your lumps" actually impacts the development of your most important player. Oline in the NFL is not a learn on the job spot, LT especially so, alex smith and joe theisman can attest.

If we had a veteran qb who was already at or near his ceiling I would agree, you start charles no matter what. but we have a young still developing qb that we drafted in the 1st round, imho protection first unless you want a david carr situation where he develops bad habits and gets gunshy.

I think you do whatever you can to prevent haskins from getting hit, you run a lot of play action and max pro, you chip with backs and TE's, and you grab a vet when you have a shot.

I dont think Peters needs to be cheap s much as cap friendly and team friendly meaning, incentives, instead of base salary. if nobody else gives him an offer we might get him at a decent price, and if we make it clear that its gonna be best player plays, it could get interesting with nobody being guaranteed a job.

I'm sorry but you can't ask Theisman or Smith. Donny Warren was 1 on 1 with Taylor and Smith's leg got broken on a corner blitz and his leg got caught in the turf. Donald Penn was playing LT... With that theory, than you can't start ANY rookie at O-line because a broken leg can happen from anywhere...

Peters is 38. From what I read he is in touch with the Eagles and will return to Philly if he doesn’t get a decent offer elsewhere.

We aren’t going to get him on a $3M deal plus incentives because the Eagles will give him that.

Reactions: Om
Peters is 38. From what I read he is in touch with the Eagles and will return to Philly if he doesn’t get a decent offer elsewhere.

We aren’t going to get him on a $3M deal plus incentives because the Eagles will give him that.
But we can get the serviceable Penn. If Charles is capable of starting at LT then swing Penn over to RT, he has the versatility...he'd be better than Moses. We know Moses is not in the long term plans. He need to be replaced, soon.

I always thought Peters was not really an option here anyway. I thought he'd go to a team that is going to compete.: And by compete I mean for a title this year.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.