• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Jaret Patterson

Solitary Man

The Starter
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
This has Movie possibilities.

Chase Young 'vouched' for Washington to sign rookie running back
1620235047287.jpeg

1620235140901.jpg

Last edited:
I got several messages from friends who are Browns and Steelers fans telling me what a great pick up he is.

Gibson better have a great offseason because he could be looking over his shoulder a lot.

This is gonna be fun.

Mentioned this in our post-draft pod tonight, but a guy like this who put up the kind of numbers he did is a testament to the inordinate amount of attention and priority given to 'measureables'. There's only one possible explanation for this guy not getting drafted. His height has never held him back, and believe it's possible he not only makes this roster but enters the NFL with an enormous chip on his shoulder and a determination to prove all the naysayers wrong.

Again.

I like Patterson’s story but would not discount Gibson. He has size and speed and looked like a different player in the second half of 2020 having transitioned to RB full-time.

To me Gibson could be a 1200-1300 yard guy with 10 TDs for this team.

Gibson is a proven starter and budding star. I don't think he's worried about anyone. But we do need RB depth as we saw Gibson cannot do it alone and that his play suffered somewhat when he was beat up last year. I'd rather have a young, unique guy like Patterson than a retread like Lamar Miller. Of course, Patterson has to prove he can do it at this level, and that's not a given for any player coming into the big leagues.

He needs to be worried. He's injured and didn't finish the season. His job is not secure any more than Fitz or someone else who hasn't proven themselves.

Mike's not wrong. We released Peterson in favor of Gibson. I don't think any position is locked up at this point.

Gibson may also be very well suited to embrace Patterson and the two of them try to become a long term two headed monster as far as carries go. The tandem could be good.

Unless you've got a Barry, Walter, or AP in his prime...

All running backs are replaceable, and easy to pick up cheap.

Gibson is going into his 2nd season. Why on earth are we even talking about 'replacing' him? And as ST mentioned, we don't need a *different* RB right now, we need *more* great RBs. If Patterson is that guy, that's awesome. I am one of the few guys who has been screaming bloody murder that we needed to draft another RB. It was a mistake imho to grab corners and WRs instead of getting one of the really great RBs available in this draft.

I do think you're generally correct about RBs - except that not every RB is a capable receiving threat. Gibson is - and by definition, in a Scott Turner offense, that makes him more desireable.

we have 3 other receiving backs on our roster already.

Gibson needs over 1000 yards rushing, and to NOT get hurt before he can call himself the 100% starter.

You guys are pretty harsh.

Gibson had a very good rookie season by not only Rivera but commentators around the league.

To me it’s a bit ironic that Gibson gets hurt after playing well and there is little slack.

Whereas there’s love out there for Harmon and Landon Collins that have yet to do anything in a Washington uniform except get hurt.

I don't think anyone is saying Gibson can't be the guy, just that (like every position on the team) the job can be taken from him.

Collins situation is different because his payroll, but I don't think Rivera would hesitate to shelf him if it's clear that Curl is better for the team.

I also don't think Harmon is getting a pass. The team added 4 WRs this off-season. McLaurin is likely the only one locked into a job at this point. If Collins or Harmon don't produce as needed, then they likely get the hook. The same can be said about Gibson. Not saying he will get cut or dumped, but if Patterson proves he's got the leg up, Gibson role could change. It's a long shot but haven't we always wanted the best player to play regardless of draft status? It may not be likely but it's possible.

No, I agree in re Rivera and the coaches. I was talking about the fans here.

Some folks seem to be down on Gibson every time he gets pushed back for a loss or stubs his toe.

Meanwhile others are coming on strong that Collins is going to come back and be a pro bowler. Where is the evidence for that given his injury and prior play in Washington.

The Giants have made a bunch of boneheaded personnel decisions in recent years but not paying a box safety (Collins) a top salary was smart on their part.

I don't think anyone is saying Gibson can't be the guy, just that (like every position on the team) the job can be taken from him.

Collins situation is different because his payroll, but I don't think Rivera would hesitate to shelf him if it's clear that Curl is better for the team.

I also don't think Harmon is getting a pass. The team added 4 WRs this off-season. McLaurin is likely the only one locked into a job at this point. If Collins or Harmon don't produce as needed, then they likely get the hook. The same can be said about Gibson. Not saying he will get cut or dumped, but if Patterson proves he's got the leg up, Gibson role could change. It's a long shot but haven't we always wanted the best player to play regardless of draft status? It may not be likely but it's possible.

Of course it’s possible but it’s being put forward as if Gibson should be worried for his job because a 5’ 6” UDFA RB who has some nice highlights on You Tube got picked up. No one has said anything about Gibsons job being guaranteed but let’s be reasonable. We know Gibson can play NFL RB (whether one wants to call him a great RB as I do, or just okay as others seem to believe). We’ve seen him perform. Patterson is an UDFA who is a long shot to make the 53 man roster (based on history and NFL stats). Let’s not get carried away until there is a reason to.

And it shouldn’t be an either/or. We need another young RB and if Patterson is a hidden gem I will be as happy as anyone about it :cheers:. I will die on the hill that says Antonio Gibson is far more than just a guy though.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.