• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Jack Del Rio - Where Do You Stand?

Should Jack Del Rio continue to be a coach on the Commanders' staff?

• Absolutely not! Fire him - we have enough drama!

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Keep him and let the "dust" settle.

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters
Ron has become a shell of who he was.

First he showed his belly and surrendered the name
Now he fines his own guy for....speaking his mind?

That is absolutely ridiculous. Jack is 100% right in his opinion, and even more, he should be able to express it. He didn't say anything offensive, racist, or any other woke whatever there is now. The woke culture just doesn't like he said it so they want to try and ruin his life.

Ron needs to stop this nonsense. If the NFL hasn't even fined him, you have zero reason to.

My above response was before I even read that Ron had fined him. The woke left ruins everything it’s filthy hands touch.

Snyder has done a damn fine job of ruining my fandom of this team formerly known as the Redskins. Ron has just curb stomped what little I had remaining. I cannot root for a woke minion coaching a team owned by a sociopath pos. Neither deserve the time of day.

I'm mad about the fine, but for a different reason. And I'm sorry if I'm conflating two issues. But you are telling me that an organization that sexually harassed women for years, made nonconsensual video tapes of cheerleaders, allegedly distributing them, and who is stealing money from the league is going to fine someone for making a stupid comment? Yes I would feel different if Snyder was gone and we were certain his goons were out of the organization. But he's still there and I believe it is still filled with cronies who do his bidding. So spare me the sanctimony here Ron when you work for a man who has actually DONE things that would land people normal people in jail.

del rio was right, and frankly the woke bullshittery is getting to be too much. jan 6 was a bunch of morons with bad beards being idiots and shitting in the hallway, it was not an insurrection ffs, nobody even had guns other than the cops. do people really think if a bunch of hillbillies wanted to overthrow the government they would show up unarmed? meanwhile all summer there were riots where millions of dollars in property was destroyed and several people killed. the idea that we are even discussing firing him for speaking up is beyond ridiuclous

del rio was right, and frankly the woke bullshittery is getting to be too much. jan 6 was a bunch of morons with bad beards being idiots and shitting in the hallway, it was not an insurrection ffs, nobody even had guns other than the cops. do people really think if a bunch of hillbillies wanted to overthrow the government they would show up unarmed? meanwhile all summer there were riots where millions of dollars in property was destroyed and several people killed. the idea that we are even discussing firing him for speaking up is beyond ridiuclous

Forget his opinions. Whether you agree with what he said or not, what if his words cause a fracture within the team? What if they create an irreparable situation that spills over onto the football field and affects overall team performance on Sundays? What if players stop playing for Del Rio? Do you fire him then, or do you tell the players to suck it up and do their job?

That was the original intent of the thread - not whether he should be fired for his opinions.

If words and opinions make you not do your job that you get millions of dollars for....bye.

I'm tired of having to worry about weak people and their fragile opinions deciding if I can express how I feel or not.

He didn't say anything wrong. He didn't disrespect any race or culture. If you want to investigate 1/6, go for it. But, why aren't you investigating BLM when the founder admitted she's embezzling money and they admit to planting bricks and other things?

Don't tell me my face is dirty while you're standing neck deep in mud is my thought.

If words and opinions make you not do your job that you get millions of dollars for....bye.

I'm tired of having to worry about weak people and their fragile opinions deciding if I can express how I feel or not.

He didn't say anything wrong. He didn't disrespect any race or culture. If you want to investigate 1/6, go for it. But, why aren't you investigating BLM when the founder admitted she's embezzling money and they admit to planting bricks and other things?

Don't tell me my face is dirty while you're standing neck deep in mud is my thought.
she literally paid her brother 6 figures, bought herself multiple million dollar homes, and if you say anything about it you are a racist. luckily im an indian so according to the wokists, I cant be a racist so I say whatever I want

Forget his opinions. Whether you agree with what he said or not, what if his words cause a fracture within the team? What if they create an irreparable situation that spills over onto the football field and affects overall team performance on Sundays? What if players stop playing for Del Rio? Do you fire him then, or do you tell the players to suck it up and do their job?

That was the original intent of the thread - not whether he should be fired for his opinions.
if his words cause problems, they cause problems, you tell the players you are getting paid to play football not yap and whine so either play football or we will find someone who will.

if his words cause problems, they cause problems, you tell the players you are getting paid to play football not yap and whine so either play football or we will find someone who will.
Not in an age of big contracts and a salary cap you don't. The business isn't built to work that way. Players have significantly more power than us normal employees.

For the record, I 100% disagree with his views but he should absolutely not be fired for them. We disagree? So be it. So long as he’s not hurting people, I’m good.

For the record, I 100% disagree with his views but he should absolutely not be fired for them. We disagree? So be it. So long as he’s not hurting people, I’m good.
That's exactly how I feel. I agree with him, but I see lots of opinions that I disagree with and can not demand someone lose their livelihood.

Glad no one wanted to fire me for every time I said something stupid. Or glad my wife hasn't divorced me for every time said or did something stupid.

I’m fine with this topic but let’s keep our personal political bullshit off this forum please :)

I haven’t heard any current players say anything indicating they are losing sleep over this. Of course it’s overblown - it’s what the media does. Del Rio tried not to to answer the questions in the presser and his only real mistake was caving and going there. At worst his comments were dumb. Painting a guy who chooses to work with mostly African American men (and with guys he no doubts loves and respects) every day of his life as a racist is patently ridiculous. The reason why players aren’t in an uproar is because they actually know the man and get that while he may have some wacky political beliefs, that doesn’t define the man.

One other thing I’ll say. Kicking the guy when he is down (Americas favorite pastime) in terms of his coaching ability? Del Rio is one of the best DCs in the league imho. Yeah - his D looked bad the first chunk of the 2021 season. But acting like he hasn’t coached some great defenses in multiple places over his career because he gets on your nerves with tweets and stupid comments - that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Our D will be back and you’ll be glad we didn’t decide to do a reactionary firing for political correctness sake.

Del Rio has now deleted his Twitter account. So I guess he ‘bit does’. 😎

I also saw a report that he will be addressing the team on Tuesday, the first day of mandatory mini-camp.

People can call me an old grouch, but I don’t know what value there is in him having a Twitter account. It will only lead to him saying something that gets him in trouble. He could post a cure to cancer and no one would care. But he says something stupid and it will be all over the news. I doubt he’s making money off his account or having some tactical football advantage by having one. Him deleting it is a good thing.

I think we're entering a very dangerous level of this if we're going to be shaming people's opinions to the point they delete their twitter, regardless of where you stand on the issue. I've seen some stupid crap on social media that seriously makes you question whether these people have any friends to tell them just how embarrassing they are when they open their mouths.

I will say that I think there should be a major paradigm shift on where and when athletes voice their personal opinions. IMHO, I don't want sports figures of any type speaking out like that when wearing the uniform, or at an official media appearance / press conference. Keep it business when dawning the brand in an official capacity. If you want to talk on Twitter, or out at a restaurant, you do you, but if you're wearing my logo, on my practice field, in front of my sponsor back drops on camera.. it's all business. That's not to say "shut up and play" by any sense, but don't do it while you're on the clock. If he pisses off his players because of something he posted on twitter, they're all grown ass men, and can have that conversation in the locker room, where it matters. There is a massive demand to 'get the hot quote' and it's almost like these guys are baited into rabbit holes. Del Rio would have avoided A TON of this stuff by simply saying "My personal opinion will remain on a personal platform, while I'm at work... I'm working, let's talk about Football"

I'm going to look at this a slightly different way.

My issue is that Jack Del Rio said at the podium. At my job, I have to be relatively careful about what I tweet or put out there on social media especially if I'm operating in any capacity for the company. When Jack Del Rio was asked at minicamp about his statements, he was answering as Jack Del Rio, but also as Jack Del Rio, Defensive Coordinator for the Washington Commanders while at a Commanders press conference and wearing his coaching gear. That's a problem.

Within the last week, a Washington Post reporter was suspended for retweeting something that the paper thought called his objectivity into question and made the paper look bad. Likewise, I bet there are many things that you would not say on company letterhead. Soldiers in uniform are restricted in how they are allowed to speak because while wearing the uniform they represent the country. So, while Del Rio has the right to his opinion as a private citizen that's not the end of the conversation. When he spoke at the podium, he was speaking for the Team and caused a team that doesn't need any more controversy more controversy.

Edit: Maybe not so different a take. I needed to read more posts :)

Some of this is also on the press because it's a slow new cycle, when the headline makes front page at ESPN (albeit I've about had it with the politics on their site and have finally gotten rid of a subscription I've had for ages) and is simply click bait. Sports news reporting has gone down the rabbit hole, when Stephen A is making 8 million a year there's a problem with sports news.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.