• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

It's getting very close to McCoy time.

Solitary Man

The Starter
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Cousins is missing simple swing passes now.
The short passing game is the most important aspect of the WCO. You not only have to complete the throws, but you have to complete them so the player does not have to redirect himself. Hit the player in stride. Add to the equation, he is now making worse and worse decisions. His confidence is about to plummet.

Put McCoy in now and you may salvage Cousins for later in the season when you may need him.

The Gruden comment about the running game not being there so Kirk is not to blame, is not accurate. Sure Ribeye sucks and on every running play he would get jacked up, within a millisecond of snapping the ball. The short passing game is an extension of the running game. Cousins short throws were brutal. Even some of the completions. McCoy is much better at the short passing game, his decisions are better, and he is a lot tougher.

I believe it is simple. If you want to win the Tampa game, play McCoy.

I'm 90% there as well. I think one of the WaPo writers put it best that The Cap'n is fool's gold. He does just well enough to make you think he could develop into a much better QB but then he does something boneheaded. The poor accuracy is unacceptable though. There's just no excuse for that. Were I Gruden, I'd give him a quarter to correct it and then it would be time for Colt. Ugh. Our defense simply isn't good enough to hold teams out of the end zone very much so our offense is going to have to capitalize on every opportunity if we're going to have a chance.

Cousins has now had 11 starts under Jay Gruden... I'll take McCoy or RGIII at this point.

The sideline throw that was 2 seconds too late and picked yesterday - that's the kind of throw that undermines your confidence (such as it is) in the guy. You can't - and I mean CAN'T continue to make that kind of decision and expect to be the starter.

Very disappointing to not see him making good decisions with the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were I Gruden, I'd give him a quarter to correct it and then it would be time for Colt.

I think he gets a half. We simply cannot lose to the Bucs. They are not a good team but they are certainly good enough to beat us. If we drop the game this week and get spanked by the Pats things are going to get a lot uglier than they are now.

Why? What does that accomplish? If Cousins tailspins completely, then yes, make a change. But he's not there yet. He needs to learn through this. If he can't, then it looks like we have 2 QBs that can't seem to learn.

I'm tired of the carousel every few games. No one learns that way. Stick with Cousins and make it work.

But it's not working. He's shown he can't grow past the mistakes he's been criticized for. Short passes, off passes, interceptions. All of those problems are reasons to not stick with him.

I'm tired of the coaching/qb carousel as well, but if it's not working I don't want to stick with it just so we don't feel like we are repeating ourselves.

I would rather see us lose out with Cousins than win one or 2 more games with McCoy. McCoy is not the answer and we're not close to sniffing the playoffs this year, so I have no interest in treading water to pull out 6 games just for the chance that it might keep Gruden around an extra year.

I would rather see us lose out with Cousins than win one or 2 more games with McCoy. McCoy is not the answer and we're not close to sniffing the playoffs this year, so I have no interest in treading water to pull out 6 games just for the chance that it might keep Gruden around an extra year.

Why not? What has Cousins shown?

Here's Cousins stats so far under Gruden:

2014: 126/204, 1710,10:9 (6 games, 5 starts)

2015: 151/228, 1420, 6:8 (6 games, 6 starts)

Total: 277/432, 3130, 16:17

I see zero improvement from last year to this year. Ok, his comp% is up, but he's not being asked to make a ton of hard throws.

At this point, I don't see what Kirk is doing that McCoy or even Griffin couldn't do for this offense.

I get that and to a point I can agree with it. But if we can get some wins, get some things going in the RIGHT direction with McCoy then we can go in to the next season talking about winning more games and already know what pieces we have in place that are the right ones.

damn, I'm talking about next year already.

It's all about having a stable environment where the youngsters can learn and improve. I think it's difficult both to evaluate the guys on the field and ingrain solid habits when we are having constant turnovers and playing from behind in desperation time. Whoever can run the offense reasonably well - that's who I'd want. I don't see any signs that this team is capable of getting to the post season nor are we apparently developing our QB of the future. Some reasonable good QBing play and stability under center is probably all we can hope for.

a championship caliber QB is not on the roster presently.

not interested in yet another development project with folks who have been here for a while.

don't care who plays rest of the season. they are not part of the long-term solution.

draft a QB or sign a vet during the off-season. until then.....employ a strategy that is easy to squelch and fool oneself into thinking that the passing game depends entirely on one injury prone speedster.

a championship caliber QB is not on the roster presently.

not interested in yet another development project with folks who have been here for a while.

don't care who plays rest of the season. they are not part of the long-term solution.

until then.....employ a strategy that is easy to squelch and fool oneself into thinking that the passing game depends entirely on one injury prone speedster.

IMO, this isn't a Kirk vs Robert discussion. This is a, Player A isn't performing well, let's give Player B a chance to see if he's any better. I don't get if it's Colt or Robert. But, through 6 games, Cousins is exactly who we thought he was. Turnover prone QB who can play well in spurts, but can't carry a team by himself. No harm in seeing if Colt or Robert can do any better.
draft a QB or sign a vet during the off-season.

Some have already made up their minds that Kirk will never be a legit starting QB ... others think the jury is still out. It will come down to what Gruden and Scot M. think, and when. If they get to a point in the next week or two where they have "seen enough" and are convinced he isn't going to be The Guy next year and beyond, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see McCoy get some time, to at least try to keep the offense competitive while the general roster evaluation goes on. But if they really need to see more, even up to the full 16 games they've said he'd get, he'll get them ... unless the locker room starts to become a problem.

Tangentially ... I wonder if we'll hear M. Shanahan sing Kirk's praises and potential this week.

Some have already made up their minds that Kirk will never be a legit starting QB ... others think the jury is still out. It will come down to what Gruden and Scot M. think, and when. If they get to a point in the next week or two where they have "seen enough" and are convinced he isn't going to be The Guy next year and beyond, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see McCoy get some time, to at least try to keep the offense competitive while the general roster evaluation goes on. But if they really need to see more, even up to the full 16 games they've said he'd get, he'll get them ... unless the locker room starts to become a problem.

Tangentially ... I wonder if we'll hear M. Shanahan sing Kirk's praises and potential this week.

Kirk has started 11 games and played in 12 under Gruden. He's also 27 years old in his 4th season. Of the 3 QBs on the roster, he's started the most games under Gruden. We aren't seeing anything new here with Kirk. The INTs, the inaccuracy, locking onto WRs, etc. has all been there before. If Gruden is fine with the INTs and passes thrown behind WRs, then he'll keep him in there. But expecting Kirk to suddenly change now, seems a bit unrealistic at this point.

Again, I have no idea if McCoy or Griffin are better options, but it can't hurt to look at them. Personally, I don't think it really matters who plays QB and how they look under Gruden the next 10 games because I don't think he'll be back. For a guy brought here to improve the QB play, he's failed.

Well, like I said, it really doesn't matter what you or I think. It matters what Gruden and Scot see ... on the field, in practice, in meetings, in the locker room. They are aware of Kirk's numbers and tendencies. And they know why he's starting--because they need to assess him over an extended period of time in order to decide if he's a realistic option to pencil in for next year or if they need to flush and go another direction. As of today, they haven't indicated they're done with their evaluation. They might, soon enough, if he turns in another clunker or two like yesterday. But they haven't yet. I'm sure they appreciate all of us pointing out to them things they need to know, however.

Well, like I said, it really doesn't matter what you or I think. It matters what Gruden and Scot see ... on the field, in practice, in meetings, in the locker room. They are aware of Kirk's numbers and tendencies. And they know why he's starting--because they need to assess him over an extended period of time in order to decide if he's a realistic option to pencil in for next year or if they need to flush and go another direction. As of today, they haven't indicated they're done with their evaluation. They might, soon enough, if he turns in another clunker or two like yesterday. But they haven't yet. I'm sure they appreciate all of us pointing out to them things they need to know, however.

Well if we don't point it out to them, who will?

It's always nice to be appreciated. I'll take 10% off my consulting bill since the Skins are my team and all. :smile-new:

the snark level has hit an all time high in this thread

Gruden will not pull Cousiins, even with 4 more interceptions in 17 less games then that other guy on the roster, and a lack of production more often then not. He's still making the same mistakes, and has far better protection then any QB has seen in the past 3 seasons, so that should have helped his turn over issues.

I wouldn't mind seeing Colt come in if Cousins falters early in the Tampa game, but Gruden has pinned it all to Cousins, win, lose, or draw. I've resigned to the fact that no matter how good we may start a game, I can't count on the QB to be even slightly consistent in his play, and every game is truly a coin toss even against the worst of teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.