• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Is RG3 Progressing?

stevenaa

The Team Captain
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
This is something I've wondered about and then it was brought up by an ESPN analyst on a local Cowboys radio show. Forget who it was. He stated that privately the Shanahnas have some diasappointment that RG3 hasn't progressed into more of a mobil pocket passer without the aid of the option. Not sure how he'd know that tidbit. They want him to be more in line with Elway or Young. I've figured this as a transition offense from the get go. Is it really that or will it be a mainstay of the offense? Is Robert not progressing away from the option?

This is something I've wondered about and then it was brought up by an ESPN analyst on a local Cowboys radio show. Forget who it was. He stated that privately the Shanahnas have some diasappointment that RG3 hasn't progressed into more of a mobil pocket passer without the aid of the option. Not sure how he'd know that tidbit. They want him to be more in line with Elway or Young. I've figured this as a transition offense from the get go. Is it really that or will it be a mainstay of the offense? Is Robert not progressing away from the option?

it's working... why change?

Griffin had 2 carries for 5 yards against Eagles. His stats werent out of this world but the final score was in our favor... It's his first year, he's working with a knee injury, and he's got one of the highest QB ratings, as well as completion percentages in the league... as a ROOKIE... just sayin

The Giants & Philly defenses both improved in their second meetings against Griffin. The Redskins won both games, on good games & clutch plays from the QB. Enough said.

RG3 won't progress into a terrific pocket passer until the Redskins field an offensive line unit that can maintain a pocket from which to throw.

They've done brilliantly with what they have, but they are not a good traditional pass blocking unit and RG3 cannot continue to ascend until it is fixed.

Here's an article by Pete Prisco.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...ew-admit-it-romo-haters-qb-at-top-of-his-game

It's mostly about how awesome Tony Romo is. Prisco is not what I would call a pro-Redskin columnist. At the end, though, there's this little bit:

6. One of the things I wanted to see from Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III was how well he would adjust to not being able to run as well or as much because of his banged-up knee. RG3 has feasted on setting up his passing plays with the read-option for much of this season, but without his being a real threat to run last week against the Eagles, I wanted to see how would adjust. He did just fine. If the Redskins allow him, he will be a darn good pocket passer. He spins his head. That's half the battle. One of my favorite throws from that game came on a first-and-10 play from the Washington 47. RG3 faked a handoff to Alfred Morris, then an end-around to Santana Moss. As he set up to throw, he looked first to the deep ball down the left side to Leonard Hankerson. But he was doubled, which led to RG3 coming off of him to hit Pierre Garcon on a cross for 27 yards. It was the kind of play a veteran would make. He didn't force it deep and instead waited patiently to get Garcon into an open area as he crossed the field. RG3 made a perfect throw over the head of linebacker DeMeco Ryans and in front of the safeties.

I also liked when RG3 showed great touch on his 22-yard touchdown pass to Santana Moss. Moss ran a post corner against safety Colt Anderson. When he got even with him, RG3 let it go. The ball dropped easily into Moss's hands in the end zone and Moss got both feet down with a great tap-tap for a score. It was a nice touch pass.

Kinda exactly the opposite of what that ESPN guy on a local Dallas radio show said. Go figure.

RG3 is progressing nicely. We will continue the read option until defenses catch up. Then you will see more of the Elway's style offense.

As old saying goes, "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

What is this? I don't even...

Peeps of Redskins Nation, don't let the haters waste your precious time. RG3 is a straight up BAMF. I'm pretty sure everyone thought he was progressing in November when he was laying the smack down on the NFC East. Tune out the noise and enjoy the ride...

RG3 won't progress into a terrific pocket passer until the Redskins field an offensive line unit that can maintain a pocket from which to throw.

They've done brilliantly with what they have, but they are not a good traditional pass blocking unit and RG3 cannot continue to ascend until it is fixed.

I think this is an excellent point. I'm not 100% sure that the assertion (that the Shanahans want Griffin to be a more traditional QB) is even accurate. The beauty of Griffin is that, even with a less than staunch line and flawed protection, he makes the defense pay bigtime when they do collapse the pocket or, God forbid, blitz. I think some who have said that Griffin will develop into a fine pocket passer with age (he will of course lose some of that athleticism over time) are correct. The point is, right now, why would he want to - when everything he does is so successful. I love that he can be both unconventional and conventional with seemingly equal success.

Go back and watch the TD pass to Moss from this past weekend - that was a pure, pocket pass. Not sure what else you can ask for from him.

I can't say what the Coaching staff is expecting, but they could have wanted to see more. Not sure why they would expect more, he has done just about everything right to this point. My only gripe was that he was taking off a little early sometimes and pushing for that extra yard instead of throwing it away or sliding. Even against the Eagles last week he had one play that he took a hit just as he released the ball throwing it away. That type of play he just needs to realize he should throw it away once he gets out of the pocket. It's not 4th down and 10 with the game on the line like the 1st Giants game.

I think because Rg3 has made such an impact throwing and running...add in his spot on decision making. He will be a nightmare for years to come for opposing defenses. Regardless of the formation. Ala Steve Young, Randall Cunningham or even Elway.
I'm curious though I wonder how many hits Griffin has taken compared to the league average. I'm guessing hes mid pack.

This is a chart from NFL.com with some interesting offensive stats. The one I was looking for his qb hits. I keep hearing how Rg is taking too many hits. I didn't see that . Hes slightly above average.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...3-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT&qualified=true

Meh. 7th highest in QB hits allowed and then tack on the hits he takes while rushing. Its a lot of hits. And he/we've paid for a couple of them already.

He needs to learn how to slide, period. Running to the sidelines does two things bad, first it leaves him open to a last second hit (penalty or not), second it stops the clock. We are becoming a high scoring team which has to stop giving the defense the benefit of stopping the clock all the time.

His pocket passing game will only get better and better (its already very good!) as we develop talent around him. In the future he will have a chance to make plays without needing trickery on so many plays to keep his jersey clean. Currently we waste many plays to set things up, when we have better pass pro, we can use those plays to attack instead of spending them on motions that open up the next play or the play after that or the series after that...

The future's so bright I need to find my shades!!!:bandana:

I think it's clear that he's progressing as the game plans seem to be getting more and more sophisticated.

Last week the Redskins decoyed the run and basically ran a traditional set for the most part and Griffin was productive. I still think the team let up on the gas and went conservative on both sides of the ball at 27-13 and that caused them to lose their edge and allow the Eagles back into the game.

If Kyle had pushed it I think Griffin could have had 75-80 more yards through the air and another TD in that game.

Is it me or has his passing over the middle resulted in the most errant passes he has thrown - specifically, high balls. Everyone remembers the reach back jump catch Garcon made and took to the house, but there is also the tipped ball, also thrown too high, that the Dallas Safety was barely able to catch.

I have gone back through some game film and because of his accuracy, he seldom throws an errant pass, but they seem to be over the middle most out 15 yards or more.

It's hard to tell. When you throw across the middle like that you have to get it over/around the linebacker. The tipped one to Morgan last Sunday was catchable, and should have been caught.

It may cost us a game this year, but I think he needs to not be afraid to make those throws and our WR's need to make the play...

Something else I think everyone is missing....you can't lay the fault for any of those 6 losses at Griffin's feet. He didn't have any 3 INT games to put the team in a hole. He didn't have any strip sack fumbles returned for TDs. In short, he has not been the reason this team didn't succeed in a contest this year like pretty much every rookie QB is at some point in time, and often more than once.

That's true. Most of the games it's been the defense that has been the reason.

The Steelers game we lost because the WR's couldn't hold on to the ball...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.