• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Is it time for Goal Line Technology yet?

Is it time for Goal Line Technology in Soccer yet?

• Yes!

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When does the NFL season start?

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
This from the England v Ukraine match yesterday in the Euro 2012 Championship...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd3j5wvRMxo[/media]

I say yes and stunningly Sepp Blatter seems to finally agree.

And it should be noted that this tournament used 2 extra officials, one at either end, to specifically watch the goal line for just this sort of occurrence and it was still missed. Badly.

I think its time for goal line technology in ALL sports. How many times has the ball broken the plane, but the refs signal no TD? And replay has it at a funny angle that doesn't quite show indisputable proof, but everyone knows it was across?

Although I voted yes on the goal line technology question my snarky side wants to start a pool guessing how long it would take, were the technology to be implemented in the NFL, before some rabid homer would post a "tampering" claim when an electronic call went against their team. :laugh2:

It's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. Officials frequently simply can't make the right call because they don't have x-ray vision and even repeated review of traditional replay isn't conclusive. It won't fix everything, but it would be much better than what we currently have.

But aren't those innocent mistakes accepted part of the game? And once again, I steer you to the flow of a soccer game. If this is implemented, there has to be a method where they can do it without disrupting the flow of the game.

Ultimately, the Good Ole Boys if FIFA will implement it, I am sure. But it has to be a limited use of the technology...questionable scoring plays only. The game will not survive as football does with repeated interruptions in the flow of a game if out of bounds calls or offsides calls are left up to technology consistently disrupting the action on the field.

El,

ESPN had this on replay in seconds, SECONDS, following the officials missed call. No one is suggesting that everything be reviewable but anything around the goal HAS to be. They just miss to many now.

And no, I don't think game changing mistakes should be allowed to remain part of the game just because they always have been.

Last edited:
They can handle it like hockey - in the NHL, when there is a no-call on a goal but it may have gone in, play continues until the next stoppage, when the goal is reviewed. The NHL's asinine system makes it take way longer than it should, but it usually only takes 30 seconds or so.

As Neo points out - they have this information almost instantaneously; the ruling could be made long before the next stoppage even occurs.

I honestly don't like the idea of depending on technology in sports, but something needs to be done to address the issue of controversial call/non-calls. I like that they are finally testing out additional refs. I believe those refs should have the responsibility to call anything that occurs in the box.

Absolutely. Technology exists to damn near eliminate bad/missed calls.

You need two things.

1. Force leagues to use the technology
2. Fine them if games take too long

They'll get it ironed out pretty quick.

FIFA thinks so:

BREAKING NEWS: FIFA approve the use of goal-line technology at the Club World Cup, Confederations Cup 2013 and World Cup 2014.

BREAKING NEWS: FIFA will immediately amend the laws of the game to include the use of goal-line technology.

http://twitter.com/ESPNSoccernet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.