• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Is Anyone Else Concerned About Other Teams Poaching Our Coaches?

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Raheem Morris now a candidate for Giants defensive coordinator | Newsday

That article above says it all. Raheem Morris is being considered for DC positions around what seems to be a very dysfunctional league at times.

With our entry into the playoffs, I'm concerned (even a little paranoid) that other teams will be coming after our coaches.

What are the chances of us retaining both Bill Callahan and Perry Fewell next year?

Remember, Callahan left a Dallas team that was in the playoffs last year for a lateral move to come and join us.

Mike Tomlin was named Pittsburgh's HC after only one single season as a coordinator in this league. Talk about inexperience! Gruden at least had three.

How many teams are going to come after Callahan and Fewell, and can we retain them?

If I'm the GM of a struggling team, I'm coming after both of them quickly. And we potentially won't be able to block interviews with either of them. Teams can interview Fewell for a DC position, and desperate teams can interview Callahan as an OC--even if only to fix their O-lines.

Last edited:
Perry Fewell is my biggest concern right now. I think Callahan is staying put for at least another year.

It sounds like it's time for some big pay raises and title changes prior to the end of the season.

We can have 3 or 4 Assistant Head Coaches:) I'm sure Jay wouldn't mind if it meant that we could lock these guys down for several more seasons.

You're an Assistant Head Coach! And you're an Assistant Head Coach! Everyone's an Assistant Head Coach!

Oprah.png

I'm not worried about Callahan. There seemed to be friction with him and management in Dallass. I have heard of no rumblings here.

Like Solitary Man suggested, Perry Fewell is the candidate most likely to get a show. Oh and I certainly hope Raheem Morris is the DC in NY, I thought he was a good hire here until we saw the dramatic transformation from our banged up secondary compared to last couple seasons. He is not a good coach.

I don't expect teams to come charging to pluck staff from a 9-7 team, unless we go far into the playoffs.
And promotions don't come automatically for every type of assistant.
Being a great offensive line coach, doesn't mean you'll be a great Offensive Coordinator.
And being a great DB coach doesn't mean you'll be a great Defensive Coordinator.
And how many times have we seen a great Offensive or Defensive Coordinator make a horrible Head Coach.
It doesn't work out that way in the corporate world obviously, and just as surely doesn't work that way in the NFL.

Last edited:
No, we'll be fine for another year. My guess is that Callahan is here for a long time. He really rubbed many the wrong way as a HC, but we give him more than OL duties and he seems to really like it. It's the kind of fit that he likely won't find anywhere else. Pretty sure he is here to stay.

Fewell is too soon to move, but he could be gone after the next year or two. McVay is too young and is likely here for at least five more years, maybe longer.

Joe Barry is set for the long haul.

So yeah, no worries.

Callahan has an excellent deal with Washington and it is doubtful that he wants out - unlike his situation with Dallas. I don't know if any of it is guaranteed but I would not be surprised. Probably means a stiff penalty for early withdrawal.

link: Dallas Cowboys: Bill Callahan leaves Cowboys for rival Redskins - AXS

Fewells contract with the Giants was guaranteed as he still collected over a million bucks from NY in 2015. Apparently a big reason he choose Washington was because his family residence is in New Jersey and he didn't want to move. If a guy is more interested about where he and his family live versus where he picks up his paycheck it's gonna be pretty tough to get him to move. I guess the Jets would be closer but they are pretty happy with their defensive coaches.

link: Perry Fewell, ex-Giants defensive coordinator, lands with NFC East rival | NJ.com

As far as Barry and McVay go - they really haven't shown enough yet to warrant snipping.

Last edited:
I think Money is a BIG factor in situations like these and it's one of the biggest positives regarding Snyder. The man absolutely will pay people to stay. I also think our assistants demand is directly proportional to how much noise we make in the playoffs. This team makes a run and it'll be a hard press for our coaches AND some of our players.

I'm not worried about Callahan. There seemed to be friction with him and management in Dallass. I have heard of no rumblings here.

Like Solitary Man suggested, Perry Fewell is the candidate most likely to get a show. Oh and I certainly hope Raheem Morris is the DC in NY, I thought he was a good hire here until we saw the dramatic transformation from our banged up secondary compared to last couple seasons. He is not a good coach.

I love your opinion, but I think it's too optimistic. If Callahan is being paid $300k a year here, and is offered $1 million to be a DC, then I can't blame him. From the article quoted below:

There were eight different teams that wanted to interview Callahan, and some wanted him to be their offensive coordinator.

I agree with you on Raheem. But I believe the fact that he's being interviewed as a DC illustrates the demand for someone like Fewell.

I don't expect teams to come charging to pluck staff from a 9-7 team, unless we go far into the playoffs.
And promotions don't come automatically for every type of assistant.
Being a great offensive line coach, doesn't mean you'll be a great Offensive Coordinator.
And being a great DB coach doesn't mean you'll be a great Defensive Coordinator.
And how many times have we seen a great Offensive or Defensive Coordinator make a horrible Head Coach.
It doesn't work out that way in the corporate world obviously, and just as surely doesn't work that way in the NFL.

If I'm Cleveland or Jacksonville, or some other team going through hard times, I'm looking at Callahan the same as I would as drafting an OT in the first round. It makes sense.

No, we'll be fine for another year. My guess is that Callahan is here for a long time. He really rubbed many the wrong way as a HC, but we give him more than OL duties and he seems to really like it. It's the kind of fit that he likely won't find anywhere else. Pretty sure he is here to stay.

Fewell is too soon to move, but he could be gone after the next year or two. McVay is too young and is likely here for at least five more years, maybe longer.

Joe Barry is set for the long haul.

So yeah, no worries.

Gruden had 3 interviews after his very first season. 4 more after his second season. Tomlin was hired as a HC after his first season. I always love your thoughts, but I believe you're being too optimistic. If I just drafted Bortles and I have O-line problems, I'm calling Callahan.

I think Money is a BIG factor in situations like these and it's one of the biggest positives regarding Snyder. The man absolutely will pay people to stay. I also think our assistants demand is directly proportional to how much noise we make in the playoffs. This team makes a run and it'll be a hard press for our coaches AND some of our players.

This.

Callahan has an excellent deal with Washington and it is doubtful that he wants out - unlike his situation with Dallas. I don't know if any of it is guaranteed but I would not be surprised. Probably means a stiff penalty for early withdrawal.

link: Dallas Cowboys: Bill Callahan leaves Cowboys for rival Redskins - AXS

Fewells contract with the Giants was guaranteed as he still collected over a million bucks from NY in 2015. Apparently a big reason he choose Washington was because his family residence is in New Jersey and he didn't want to move. If a guy is more interested about where he and his family live versus where he picks up his paycheck it's gonna be pretty tough to get him to move. I guess the Jets would be closer but they are pretty happy with their defensive coaches.

link: Perry Fewell, ex-Giants defensive coordinator, lands with NFC East rival | NJ.com

As far as Barry and McVay go - they really haven't shown enough yet to warrant snipping.

This is a great response from you. Thank you for taking the time to do the research. It makes me feel better, but not confident.

If I just drafted Blake Bortles, Jameis or Mariota......I'm calling Callahan asap.

If my defense sucks, well I'm looking at what Fewell did this season with great admiration.

Yea the turn around of the Secondary and next man up thing they've had going this year has been remarkable, downright stunning when contrasted against recent years. And Breelend? Oh my...the kid is lights out money. Fewell's conversion of a WR to a solid DB is what's stuck out most to me. I honestly can't remember the last time that was done this effectively, that quickly.

Callahan isn't leaving unless he gets a HC opportunity. He is already the highest paid OL coach in the NFL and he gets to slam Jones and the Cowboys by staying in the NFC East.

That's why Coughlin is looking to stay in the East with the Eagles :D

Fewell is DC material. He has won a Super Bowl as a DC and did wonders this season steadying what was a revolving group of performers in the backfield.

The difference between Fewell and Raheem Morris, who ran a loose ship, is on view for everyone to see.

I'm really worried that nobody will come calling for Joe Barry!:smile::movefast:

Barry was not good yesterday. If Fewell starts getting interest, I would have to consider dumping Barry and promoting Fewell.

Not saying I would do it, but I doubt that thought hasn't crossed the minds of people in Ashburn.

I don't think Barry has done much more than a mediocre job. We're not the most talented defense by a long shot but I can't help but think that if we had a better DC, they could have been a lot better. Once McLovin works his offseason magic again and we've filled a few more holes on that side of the ball, it should become apparent whether he's any good or not. My money says he's gone after next season.

All that said, it's been a great year. The team did way better than most of us could have ever imagined so it's hard to feel too bad, even about Barry.

True Yusuf.

I still pine a little for Wade, not gonna lie. I would love to hear what really happened there, because that's the one that seems like a no-brainer to me.

Last edited:
I'm not going to judge Barry after this first year, given the lack of talent he had to work with even before taking the ridiculous injury factor into account.

What Yusuf said above rings true loud and clear to me ... I am convinced the coming offseason will be about Scot M devoting a LOT of resources toward giving the defensive side of the ball the kind of talent it's going to need to compete in the postseason and against top-flight quarterbacks. Barry got an undermanned unit playing together and playing hard, and at the very least earned the right to come back next year and show what he can do with better, and hopefully healthier, components at his disposal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.