• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

If He Is The Slightest Bit Sorry...

Canadian Hog

2019 BGO Ballers Champ
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
There was once a time in my fandom where my eleven year old self prayed for two straight weeks every night before bed, asking God's assistance in strengthening my favourite team, the Washington Redskins, to beat the Buffalo Bills in Super Bowl XXVI.

There was once a time in my fandom where my 19 year old college self cried for hours and hours on end in his dorm room after Dan Turk botched a snap that cost the Redskins a chance to advance to the NFC championship game.

There was once a time in my fandom where I shed pure tears of joy and pride at the announcement that Joe Gibbs was returning to revive a franchise that was in disarray.

There was once a time in my fandom where I moved mountains to go watch the Redskins live whenever they visited places relatively close to me like Detroit, Buffalo, and Green Bay.

As the stench of Daniel Snyder permeated more and more through the building and the franchise crumbled piece by piece over the years, like for many of you, the passionate emotions towards the team dwindled too. The loyalty is definitely still there, but in many ways, it is more a case of simply going through the motions every Sunday. I watch the games, but losses and wins don't really matter, because I know that Dan Snyder is lurking behind the curtain. I mentioned this is a another thread, but I am basically at a point now where I wouldn't even dare encourage my own boys (who both really like football) to cheer on this team. That to me is a lost bonding opportunity and to be honest with you, quite sad.

The beauty of being a diehard fan are the emotions that come along with it - the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. In the absence of that, there is a major void.

As a self-proclaimed life-long and diehard Redskins fan, you have to think that there is a part of Daniel Snyder that feels terrible for how this has all turned out under his watch. A part of him must be getting eaten up inside for not being capable of leaving a positive mark on this franchise's history. If he truly loves the team as much as we do, part of him must want this team to get back on track (even if he is Satan).

I guess what I am trying to get at is that if Dan Snyder is even the slightest bit sorry for all the destruction he has caused to this franchise, and the torture he has put fans through from a football perspective, he will at the very least ensure that he puts this franchise in the hands of new ownership that gives us an opportunity to experience a true rebirth and long-lasting, consistent success long after he is gone. Wouldn't a guy who idolized this team as a boy want that, even if it is blatantly clear that he is incapable of doing it himself? This is my true hope/wish. Securing the best financial deal is one thing. Selling to the RIGHT buyer is a completely different animal. I understand that this is all largely dependent on Snyder having a bit of a moral compass, something which is HIGHLY questionable. However, it is his very very last opportunity to be remembered for anything truly positive in this franchise's long history.

Go away, Dan, and do what is right for all our sake.

Well, first and foremost - you are a GREAT fan Paul. I have to root for Washington. It's where I grew up and like a sibling who may turn out to be a rotten egg and doesn't deserve one's love and support, there is no choice in the matter for me. At least up till recently there's been no choice. But choosing to be involved in and loving this franchise for the past 20 years from afar - that's truly admirable. You deserve so much more than what you've gotten and of course, we all do.

I don't think Snyder has it in him to think beyond himself. I don't believe he's some 'great fan'. If he was, he'd have handed this over to someone else a long time ago. He's a narcissist of epic proportion. His head is likely full of thoughts that are mostly centered on themes like 'none of this is my fault', 'they are all out to get me', 'I'll have the last laugh', 'they are going to pay for this', 'no one knows what I've gone through', etc...

He may do the right thing here. But it won't be because he's got any self-awareness, recognition, accountability, or character. It'll because the right guy may end up being the one writing the ridiculously enormous check it is going to take to rid ourselves of this POS.

I feel you, Paul. In a handful of paragraphs you have capsulized the recent two decade plus Washington football fan experience to a tee. 👊🏼

The problem is that Snyder is a single-minded reptile and doesn’t possess the ability to be self-reflective. He would probably file suit against himself if he fell prey to ordinary human emotions.

For me it’s more than enough for Dan to simply go away. He doesn’t have to go way sad or mad, he just has go away.

yeah its hard to believe I went from being someone who would literally go mental when this team lost, to not even knowing who we play this week and not caring. I used to analyse everything, now I barely even skim the sports section and dont even watch highlights anymore.

It still bugs me when the team loses because of "stupid." I feel like they lost today because they made stupid plays. The Vikings were not the better team today. We screwed it up.

But you're right. I'm nowhere near as emotional as I was back in the glory days or even in the bad old days.

Dan has no conscience.

Riggo said a long time ago Snyder had a dark heart, and the questioner gave Riggo to walk it back and Riggo stood by his statement.

I heard someone suggest that Dan take a good look in the mirror and realize it’s past the time to go.

I don’t believe that Dan sees his reflection when he looks in a mirror.

Riggo said a long time ago Snyder had a dark heart, and the questioner gave Riggo to walk it back and Riggo stood by his statement.
Hm, didn't remember this one, it was really faint, so I looked it up. Some interesting opinions in light of what we know now, especially in the comments section there.
Riggins on Snyder: "This person's heart is dark" - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

Here is a good historical comment, which now seems fairly inaccurate:
  1. SkinsFanInNebraska says:
    November 4, 2009 at 11:49 pm
    Riggo, shut the **** up.
    Dan Snyder may be incompetent as a football man, but he is not evil.

As for the thread, though: Snyder may in fact sell to some giant jerk. Someone was telling me, they think the Lerners need to make sure to sell the Nats to good baseball owners. I just don't get this thinking. When guys don't show a strong enough interest in fielding a good football team, what would make anyone think they are going to bother to find good sports owners? If that happens, it's chance. Snyder may want the team to win, it is possible that is still there, but I think from the past 22 years we should know that Snyder's #1 is himself. That seems pretty clear, and when you view a lot of things from that lens, many things start to fall in place. In fact, it's the only way most of his behaviors start to fall into place, so it just seems like the right theory (Joe Gibbs flowery words about Snyder aside).

No, I think he needs to go, and whoever replaces him, we just keep our fingers crossed it works out. There have been tons of cases where teams thought they were getting a savior owner and it was a nightmare. I guess for the most part, when a new owner comes in, teams generally have positive expectations though (I think?).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.