• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

I think Mike's going to be OK

GSF

The Starter
Reaction score
I was very happy when Dan Snyder hired Shanny and Allen last year. I really thought we finally got some leadership that would take the Redskins in the right direction, and rebuild the team in a way in which they could become legit contender for the long term.

Then, Shanny traded away 2 picks for McNabb, switched to the 3-4, punked Albert Haynesworth, and then benched mcNabb in the Detroit game. I really started to think, sure Shanny can coach, but can he really manage this team, or are we just seeing another chapter of the same old Redskins?

Well as recently as yesterday I was ready to give up on Shanny altogether, but for some reason after watching the game today I'm feeling confident again. Not b/c we won the game, b/c we probably should have lost that game. Not because we played awesome, b/c we really didn't play all that great.

No, what brought me back around to having some belief is that it's easy to see that Mike realizes he severely over-estimated how close this team was to being good, and that he's commited now to starting from scratch.

The Skins could have come and and tried to pound the run and eek out a win ala Gibbs II, but they didn't do that. They came out aggressive, throwing the ball, going for it on 4th and goal, and basically trying to teach the youngsters how this team was going to eventually be good. They didn't hide the fact they had 2 new safeties in there, they leaned on those safeties so they could play aggressive defense, and the safeties wound up winning the game for them.

This was a huge statement game to the players, and the statement was: Here's how we're going to do it.

I don't think you'll see any more Alber Haynesworth type guys coming in here under Mike Shannahan. I think what we'll see now is a real commitment to bring in young guys that can play in these systems and get good together.

I think Shanny is embarassed by some of the mistakes he made this year, and while he'd never admit that, his actions seem to show his learned from those mistakes.

The real proof of this of course won't come unitl the offseason. If Mike turnes around and trades more picks for vets then of course I'm wrong about this, but for the first time since the McNabb trade, I don't see that happening.

Now, this doesn't mean we're going to win a bunch of games next year, or even the year after that. No I think the Redskins will hover around 8-8 for a couple years while they get the roster rebuilt which probably includes finding a legit qb. I can handle that though as long as the team is taking the steps to build the team into a legit contender.

1) I couldn't get over how bad Jacksonville is...how in the world were these guys ever in contention?

2) While I think there is no other option but to keep Shanny as the ship's CO for another 3-4 years...how is it that a two time SB winning coach makes these sorts of errors in judgement?

He needs to find a QB. This franchise is going nowhere w/o one. And he needs to find one sooner rather than later. yes...this off-season ought to be very interesting.

fs62 remember, Jax was playing w/out their best player, the most productive member of their offense.

As for the original post, after today's game I get a similar feeling GSF, but I have to agree with fs62 on this one. How in the world could such a quality coach make such seemingly huge blunders?

Only time will tell but after today's win and even the 2nd half of the Dallas game, I see a team that will improve. I see more hope than I did after the Tampa loss.

We should see a playoff birth within the next couple of years.

1) I couldn't get over how bad Jacksonville is...how in the world were these guys ever in contention?

2) While I think there is no other option but to keep Shanny as the ship's CO for another 3-4 years...how is it that a two time SB winning coach makes these sorts of errors in judgement?

He needs to find a QB. This franchise is going nowhere w/o one. And he needs to find one sooner rather than later. yes...this off-season ought to be very interesting.

I agree 100% with both of your first 2 points.

This was another game like when the Skins beat the Cowboys and the Packers, capitalizing off of injuries, penalties, and just stupid plays of the other team.

And yes, many of Shanny's decisions over the past several months were just terrible. I don't get it either, but Shanny appears to be in a completely different mode now.

I don't agree that the Skins have to get a right away. I think that if the Skins are really going to build for the future, they have to hold on to all of their picks, and they have to draft the best players available as much as possible. If the Skins don't get a chance to draft a QB next year, then you continue to add young talent and do a year with Rex. The most important thing to me is you add as much young talent as possible and don't trade away picks.

And yes, many of Shanny's decisions over the past several months were just terrible. I don't get it either, but Shanny appears to be in a completely different mode now.

If indeed, as I have seen suggested, Shanahan is using the season as an extended evaluation process then the seeming mode change may be a result of that evaluation or a later stage in the process.

I agree 100% with both of your first 2 points.

This was another game like when the Skins beat the Cowboys and the Packers, capitalizing off of injuries, penalties, and just stupid plays of the other team.

I don't agree that the Skins have to get a right away. I think that if the Skins are really going to build for the future, they have to hold on to all of their picks, and they have to draft the best players available as much as possible. If the Skins don't get a chance to draft a QB next year, then you continue to add young talent and do a year with Rex. The most important thing to me is you add as much young talent as possible and don't trade away picks.

I understand where you are coming from: restock before adding the key piece. I just don't think Rex is serviceable. he'll be eaten up by teams with good defenses. I can see him as interim while the heir apparent is groomed NEXT year. any longer and everything is out of synch.

I entered the season believing Shanny was an overrated coach, whom I hoped would prove me wrong.

As a result of this season, my position has not changed.

The Skins could have come and and tried to pound the run and eek out a win ala Gibbs II, but they didn't do that. They came out aggressive, throwing the ball...

While I agree that Shanny needs more time to turn the team around with new younger players, I will say that this game didn't evidence any change in philosophy with regard to playcalling. Kyle Shanahan has shown a disdain for running the ball all season. The Redskins are 31st in the league in rushing attempts per game. When you consider our lack of decent WRs and an offensive line that can't pass protect very well, it's baffling.

I saw the title of this thread and thought "No he's not." Then I realized that you were talking about the coach.

Silly me. :anonymous:

The Redskins are one of 32 teams that wins games from week to week based on turnovers, mistakes, and field goals.

There are a few clubs like NE and Atlanta that have been largely on cruise control this season but most of the others struggle from week to week.

What makes the Redskins 6-9 is that they only catch the 'lightning in the bottle' every once in awhile because they lack the talent to force turnovers and mistakes by the teams they play consistently.

Notice that with Haynesworth, McNabb, Kemoeatu and others on the inactive or injured list the performance of the team hasn't really dipped much at all :)

Just something to keep in mind the next time someone brings up any of these players and talks about how important any one player is to a win.

but BT the argument could easily be made that when AH was in the game and used correctly our defence was actually decent as compared to flukey and garbage that is without him.

as for Mcnabb, I liked the punchers chance he gave us after watching campbell eat sacks and throw short for 3 years who wouldnt? but I agree that on offence one player unless its a franchise qb does not make the difference, on defence? different story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.