• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Huguely found guilty

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
http://gma.yahoo.com/george-huguely-guilty-second-degree-murder-144509955--abc-news.html

<Sigh> Just lock him away and toss the key into the middle of the Atlantic.

For Yeardley...

RIP

yeardley-love-uva-roster-photo-sharper-f6eae516006cae71_medium.jpg

Good to hear...I was listening to coverage on the way up to Virginia this week, and it was worrisome as a lot of the medical/forensic testimony was that there wasn't enough brain damage to prove it was caused by trauma or blunt force injury.

Glad to hear the jury was too smart for that...

Young lives lost. Young lives ruined. I don't know why, but it pisses me off even more as I get older. You'd think I'd become more immune to it the more I see it, but I don't.

RIP, Yeardley. It's no consolation, but I'm glad the system worked.

Not defending him, but it sounded like it was not a healthy relationship by any stretch of the imagination. Apparently they cheated on each other and beat on each other all the time - you have to wonder where her friends were; they should have gotten her out of this relationship a long time ago.

What a sad, sad story.

Glad to see the jury made the right decision and hope this murderer gets placed in prision for a really, really long time.

So the jury only recommended a 26 year sentence? Wasn't the max for each conviction 40 and 20 years??

I was just surprised the recommendation was so low considering the max for 2nd degree murder is 40 years and the max for larceny is 20. The 1 year for stealing a computer makes sense, not sure about 25 years for 2nd degree murder. Then again, I have no idea what they're supposed to consider when coming up with a sentencing recommendation.

Also, as others have alluded to, I hope people see this case as a reminder of what can happen when people allow violent, unhealthy relationships to continue.

Also also, I can't believe staff of the University sat on the jury.

Isn't a crime of passion inherently 'less evil' than a cold-blooded, pre-meditated murder?

Isn't a crime of passion inherently 'less evil' than a cold-blooded, pre-meditated murder?

That would seem to be the easy conclusion. Certainly our justice system seems to lean that way. But I'm not sure it's quite that simple. For instance, there seems to be some pretty solid evidence that some humans are wired to lack empathy. It could even have a physiological basis. Lots of serial killers seem to have this quality. So - if I'm physiologically wired to not be particularly capable of empathy with my fellow humans, is my killing someone else 'more evil' than someone who can feel empathy, but in a fit of rage kills someone?

I don't know.

personally I dont see how you kill anyone and not get death yourself unless it was proven accidental. if you kill you should be killed...simple as that.

i cant even begin to explain or even really understand the judicial system.
I don't know Mike. I believe there are instances of justifiable homicide. Including some crimes of passion. This case seemed to be neither, to me, which is why I would like to see him run through a wood chipper.

I don't think anyone really knows what they would do until they're put in that situation. However, I think its a pretty rare occurrence; usually you don't know who did it and if you do, they are in legal custody. There would be a lot more "A Time To Kill" moments if people were exacting revenge on them.

Yeah Mike, I think Jaimie is right, I probably wouldn't know until the time came. My gut tells me I would go Medieval on them, but I don't know.

well, obviously its a hypothetical situation but thats why you are supposed to think about what you would do in that position.

and i think it is why you see so many people try to attack killers in the courtroom when they get to say their piece to them. id be that guy..ill try to shove my boot as far down your throat, pull your adams apple out roadhouse style, gouge out an eye...whatever i can do to even the score.

If someone killed my family member, I don't think I'd be able to restrain myself. Letting 'the justice system work' sounds fine in a vacuum, but in reality, I know I'd conclude that person didn't deserve to breathe another breath. I think I'd do almost anything to rid the earth of that person.

Not saying that's right. But I think I'd be in big trouble in that situation.

I would too, Boone. There are two people in particular (I can't even say it) who would bring a guaranteed death sentence.

And the best part is I would go completely insane if I lost either of them, so I'd spend the rest of my life in a posh mental "resort."

That always sounds justifiable and right to me, until I remember I have 4 kids and a wife. If someone did something to one member of my family and I enacted my revenge, how would the rest of my family function, having essentially lost two of us?

That's a great point Goal...and it may be the only thing that restrains people who experience the murder of a loved one.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Goal has a good point I agree. I just dont think Id have enough self control to 1, believe the courts would carry out a justifiable sentence and 2, feel good inside thinking he is suffering like i am every day.

I would want death..and anything less than that would destroy me inside and render me useless to my family anyways.

Also a fair point. Did you ever see (or read) the Lovely Bones? Really interesting portrait of what happens in the wake of a devastating tragedy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.