• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

HTTR: 5 Reasons Why More Cap Space Wouldn't Help Mike Shanahan

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Many NFL fans like to whine about bad officiating. It's never the team's fault--it's that the league has it out for them.

Redskins fans are no different. But what separates us is that we were really screwed by Mara. We're victims. We've been screwed like no other.

Did the league really penalize us unfairly though? And who is really to blame? The real truth:

2.) Cap shenanigans are nothing new with Mike.

In Denver, Mike Shanahan was penalized repeatedly for violating the league’s rules on the salary cap. Al Davis (who is looking more sane and more right about Mike all the time) had said that the Broncos 1997 Super Bowl run should’ve had an asterisk next to it. In December of 2001, the Broncos were fined $968,000 and forfeited a third round pick, relating to $29 million in deferred payments to John Elway and Terrell Davis. In 2004, the Broncos were fined $950,000 and forfeited another third round pick for circumventing the salary cap for a period of time between 1996 and 1998 — i.e, Denver’s Super Bowl years.

The league found that the Broncos had agreements with “several” players to defer salary payments with interest, and to a 1997 agreement between the team and a former player to not waive the player before a certain date.

So, let’s be clear; since 2001, teams Mike Shanahan has so happened to be the coach of, have been fined a combined total of $37, 918,000 in cap space, and lost two draft picks.

You know, John Mara may be a jerk, but suddenly that comment about the Redskins”being lucky” that they didn’t lose draft picks doesn’t seem like such a cocky thing to say..

5 Reasons More Cap Space Would Not Help Mike Shanahan

F Mara? Or F Mike?

And people wonder why we never sued? We never thought about suing. Not even for a second.

Last edited:
I don't know the details about his time in Denver, but I have followed our cap hit very closely and we were screwed royally. If not for the ignorance of Smith this could have never happened. I don't see how the players did not remove him after that fiasco.

Shanahan's biggest mistake was giving Haynesworth the $21M bonus in March of 2010 based on Haynesworth's promise to come to camp in shape and work hard for the team.

Based on his history and what he did in 2009, Shanahan should have kicked the bum to the curb and taken the smaller cap hit in 2010. Then there would have been no reason for the cap maneuver in 2012.

But for whatever reason Mike didn't want to strip this team down in 2010 and rebuild. He wanted to 'retool' and thought Haynesworth and the trades for McNabb and Jammal Brown would improve the fortunes of the team.

We needed to keep those high draft picks and kick a number of veterans to the curb and take the cap medicine in Year 1.

A RG,RT, a good CB and a legitimate safety would do absolutely nothing for this team.

Got it.

/sarcasm

A RG,RT, a good CB and a legitimate safety would do absolutely nothing for this team.

Got it.

/sarcasm

Maybe we could have had that if Mike hadn't been a three-time offender?

Three strikes and you're out? Or was he an innocent victim?

McD5, as chairman of the "Boil Mike In Oil or Die" committee, your tireless efforts are hereby recognized. While Mike has done plenty enough to warrant his own demise, your obsession with connecting him to The Grassy Knoll, The Jonestown Massacre, and Hurricane Katrina, go above and beyond anything that has ever been done in the history of the world, to rid us of his diabolical presence.

We are forever in your debt.

Thank you Sir.

Thankyouverymuch.

Question: did those fines in Denver come during an uncapped year, or even an "uncapped" year?

Didn't think so. :)

The fact remains that 30 teams were able to manage their cap issues so that these kind of all or nothing maneuvers was not necessary.

Again, Cerrato signed Haynesworth but it was Shanahan and Allen that decided not to cut bait on him and admit the first $20M portion of the bonus paid just had to be written off.

That was their mistake.

I'm confused by your keeping repeating this BD.

Slabworth was paid guaranteed money. They could not have NOT paid him. Did I miss something?
All they did was shift it to the uncapped year. And got burned, illegally IMO.

I'm confused by your keeping repeating this BD.

Slabworth was paid guaranteed money. They could not have NOT paid him. Did I miss something?
All they did was shift it to the uncapped year. And got burned, illegally IMO.

It's pointless. People don't get it. It's been gone over so many times...

Yeah, the issue as I recall, the guaranteed money was there regardless, don't believe anyone was biting trade bait prior to that payment, so it was put on the local books.

Once the payment was met the fish started nibbling.

So we get stuck paying the guy, he leaves town to another team and we get what... a third round pick potential for some $21M?

When Haynesworth was 'on' he was a beast, yes,no? I say yes but the kicker as we all know, is motivation and Shanny overestimated his own ability to motivate the guy. Sure, Haynesworth was wrapped like a mummy in red flags but Shanny was pretty much stuck with him and the $21M gamble.

The fact remains that 30 teams were able to manage their cap issues so that these kind of all or nothing maneuvers was not necessary.

Again, Cerrato signed Haynesworth but it was Shanahan and Allen that decided not to cut bait on him and admit the first $20M portion of the bonus paid just had to be written off.

That was their mistake.

That is just false.

The Bears contract with Peppers violated the "spirit" of the cap. Many teams spent well below the salary floor. There are other examples I can't remember, but it was NOT just Washington & Dallas.

That is just false.

The Bears contract with Peppers violated the "spirit" of the cap. Many teams spent well below the salary floor. There are other examples I can't remember, but it was NOT just Washington & Dallas.

That's correct. I believe it was the bucs and the raiders that were significantly below the cap?

Dallas and ours were just really large dumps so they went after us.

The contract with Haynesworth contained not only an immediate bonus payment but yearly roster bonuses so they could keep his deal under the initial years' cap.

In 2010 Haynesworth was set to receive a $21M bonus for being on the team as of March 1.

If the Redskins had released him before March 1 the team would only have owed the prorate on the remaining original bonus dollars he received in 2009 when he signed the contract.

What I am saying is that $21M was not originally guaranteed.

Now, I will say I did not see the contract and am going off of what Andrew Brandt indicated when he was interviewed on WTEM.

The contract with Haynesworth contained not only an immediate bonus payment but yearly roster bonuses so they could keep his deal under the initial years' cap.

In 2010 Haynesworth was set to receive a $21M bonus for being on the team as of March 1.

If the Redskins had released him before March 1 the team would only have owed the prorate on the remaining original bonus dollars he received in 2009 when he signed the contract.

What I am saying is that $21M was not originally guaranteed.

Now, I will say I did not see the contract and am going off of what Andrew Brandt indicated when he was interviewed on WTEM.

While technically correct the reality was we were on the hook either way.

WP:
[h=1]Albert Haynesworth's $21 million bonus made sense, given the options
[/h]
The Redskins could have declined to pay the bonus, but the $21 million was guaranteed as part of $41 million initially guaranteed in the seven-year, $100-million deal owner Daniel Snyder gave Haynesworth in February of 2009. If Washington chose not to pay the bonus, future base salaries in Haynesworth's contract, up to $21 million, would have become guaranteed, according to two league sources who have reviewed Haynesworth's contract.

Are you people still arguing about Haynesworth?

moveon.org

If people are still talking about the cap penalty then why can't others discuss its cause? :laugh:

Would you rather discuss Shanny, Kyle or Griffin's father? :laugh:

Or handicapping what pick we can get for Cousins?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.