• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

How the hell is Haslett still here?

It's karma, dude.

The "Payback's A Bitch Goddess" must have felt that you started one too many threads, over the years, and years, railing about the 3-4, and Haslett.
So, being the bitch she is, she's decided to go all "In Your Face", and make the rest of us suffer, just to aggravate you.

Thanks brother. You suck!

PS ~ Seriously, if given the job yourself, and forced to keep the 3-4, and without criticizing what already is, what would be your top 3 moves to improve this defense?
Be an asset for us, man. Hitch a ride on The Posi-Train!

I'm holding out hope they have someone in mind but aren't allowed to talk with him until the team is eliminated.

seriously,

Obvious. We bring a young head coach with no head coaching experience. We want to give him all the help to be successful, it makes sense that we don't burden him with having to oversee the defense at the risk of sacrificing some of his time on offense. We want him devoted to offense as he will be calling plays. Haslett has one more year, consider it a transition year for the benefit of Gruden. There's plenty of time to find another defensive coordinator, someone from a strong defensive team, like the seahawks or 49ers. Maybe the panthers. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Here's a piece I wrote four years ago, when Shanahan first brought Haslett in, after Redskins.com blogger Matt Terl posted a response to an earlier piece I had done about Haslett:

Digging Deeper: Defensive Coordinator Jim Haslett

Four years later, nothing has changed. Haslett is still the Redskins DC, and nothing---nothing---in his record, before or since, has provided the slightest empirical, objective reason for me to believe it's going to change now.

The only X-factor I can see that makes any sense is that new HC Jay Gruden has such a history with Haslett that he was too uncomfortable and/or unwilling to let him go.

And maybe, just maybe, the last four years of defensive ineptitude really weren't Haslett's fault. Maybe he really did simply fall victim to poor talent, the cap penalty, and Shanahan's rumored heavy-handedness. One can only hope.

And one can only hope that things will change in 2014 and beyond. Unfortunately, there is nothing that would stand up in court as evidence to support that notion.

Weird.

Last edited:
*shrug*

You are looking at this team for something makes sense? Really?

They haven't announced a DC yet... No reason to freak out.

Rumors are Morris will be dc and Haslett will be assistant head coach (fancy title for position coach.) just rumors but the others have been right so far...

Not saying it's accurate but LaCanfora reported yesterday that Haslett as DC was a done deal.

I think the other factor that could be in play here is that Gruden has never been an NFL head coach and Haslett has. They may be keeping him in place (or considering it) because of that experience rather than because they feel he's the best DC available.

Well, could be that our new HC is smart enough to not want to have to spread himself so thin, his first year. And as Om hinted at, he's comfortable with Haslett, for now. Since we can't do a complete change of players on the D, it might be seen as easier to try and work with what we have, and as many new parts as we can get. All under the same system.

We obviously all hope for better results.

And by God, I believe we're gonna get'em.

Somebody cue Battle Hymn of The Republic.

Cause men, when the going gets tough, the tough look to free agency.

Was it over when the Eagles won the Super Bowl?

Hell no!

Eagles?

And it ain't over now!

Come on! Who's with me?

Seven years of college, down the drain.

For those interested, some locals put in their perspective on the ingredients for the Jay Gru staff, including Haz, .

Jay Gruden?s staff takes shape

I haven't paid much attention to LaVar in recent years, he's seems to have become a little more 'thoughtful' and made some good observations, at least in this segment.

I'm getting the feeling Haz may not be the DC. I could be completely wrong here, but if he was going to be, why drag this out? Just announce it already.

Good point MattyBoh...I hope you're right!

Lol I hope so too. Like I said, I could be way off on this. But it just seems odd that if he were the guy, why draw this out a week if it was known from Day 1 he was going to be the guy? Either they want the rest of the staff in here before making the deal or Gruden has had time to watch film and has decided Haslett may not be the best choice.

I could go either way on this decision. I think Haslett was sort of hamstrung here with Shanny wanting to control everything. Not that Haslett is some great defensive mastermind, but I'm willing to give him another year without the cloud of Shanny watching over every move and see if it makes a difference.

I don't have a lot of respect for a guy taking it on the chin and taking all the heat for bad play if he's not truly responsible. Show a backbone and stand up for yourself if that's the case.

I don't see any sense in retaining him as DC. I suppose Assistant head coach gives him something for his resume and provides some help and buffer to Jay as the takes the reigns. Maybe hang on to him until his contract expires. Right now I'd expect his value is low. If he hangs out as assistant HC, and a new DC improves the defense, Has puts some time to behind him to lesson the memories of his suckitude. I'm grasping here. I really want him gone completely. No confidence in him at all.

I don't have a lot of respect for a guy taking it on the chin and taking all the heat for bad play if he's not truly responsible. Show a backbone and stand up for yourself if that's the case.

Not sue it's true or not, but I remember hearing on the Junkies a couple weeks ago that during the season Haslett walked into Shanny's office and said either fire me or let me run the defense how I want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.