• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

How dumb is Jim Haslett?

GSF

The Starter
Reaction score
now I've been mostly happy with the defense this year, but to single up DHall on Dez again on 3rd and long when that's exactly how we lost the last game against the cowboys? Hard to understand.

I thought he had help and the move by Dez to the outside left Hall alone on him. I didn't think it was designed to be single coverage by Hall though, rather thought it was a great move by Dez.

It wasn't that great of a move by Dez, Hall got turned around and slipped, and didn't have any help over the top. It was a very similar play to the losing play in the first game. 3rd and 15 you rush 4 keep them in front of you and force the punt.

It wasn't that great of a move by Dez, Hall got turned around and slipped, and didn't have any help over the top. It was a very similar play to the losing play in the first game. 3rd and 15 you rush 4 keep them in front of you and force the punt.

Pretty much. I saw that defensive alignment and just had that :beadyeyes: feeling. I knew it wasn't going to work.

Rush five for some pressure, but keep six back... to lose the same way... twice... what's the old saying, "shame on us"

Sigh.

Defensively, this team has been plagued over the years by not being able to make big stops on third downs (especially 3rd and longs) in close games.

Despite the improvements we've seen the defense make this year, we can't seem to break this habit.

We simply don't have that killer instinct on defense and it has haunted us time and time again.

A true mark of a complete defense is being able to consistently come through in the clutch.

We have a ways to go in this regard and hopefully improving the secondary, and pairing it up with what appears to be a better crop of linemen and outside 'backers in the future will go a long way towards us getting there.

I won't blame the defense this season. Not for a single game. They're out there all day long - it's amazing we were able to force some 3 and outs late to give us a chance to tie the thing up to begin with.

I'm not a D. Hall fan in any way. But ultimately, we keep forcing our defense to be out there for 2/3rds of the game, then expect them to pull us out of the fire at crunch time. I'm not surprised they aren't always up to the task.

Yeah, I thought the D played pretty well actually. They held the red hot DeMarco Murry to 73 yards on 25 carries. For the record, that is less than 3 yards per carry when he came in averaging something north of 6 per carry. Not shabby, that.

They sacked Romo 4 times and forced a Whitten fumble that they just missed recovering.

Really, the only plays I am unhappy with by the defense are that last catch by Dez, which was once again a improved play with Romo under pressure, and the catch and run by Whitten for the TD.

I do have some questions on offense though and they start with why Ryan Torain (5 carries for 4 yards) and Tashard Choice (6 carries for 7 yards) were getting carries while Helu (8 carries for 32 yards) stood on the sideline. I don't get it. Except for the Rams game neither Torain or Choice has done anything this year.

The decision to be handing the ball off to Tashard Choice at ALL smelled a lot like desperation to me. We have capable backs who know the offense - we didn't need some 'secret weapon'. He not only didn't do much, but he was outright flattened on several occasions at key moments. I'll also say it struck me as the kind of arrogant move I'm starting to be concerned about when it comes to Kyle Shanahan decision-making. I couldn't help but wonder if his intention was to show the Cowboys how stupid they were to let Choice go.

Apparently, he's no game-changer.

Yeah, but why do they consistently give up the third and forever plays!

We have seen it all year, we are solid on 3rd and short but 3rd and longs we get killed!

Today I have a gripe with Brian Orakpo. On 3 of the long 3rd down conversions, Rak over shot the mark and did not contain his corner, allowing Romo to slip underneath and get out into the open field. This gave Romo time to see the open field and complete the long passes, one a TD to Whitten, and 2 other long 3rd down conversions. If he contains the edge, the rush gets to Romo from the other side.

I won't even go into the flat out hold by Free when he grabbed the back of Rak's jersey and was not called for holding. On that play Rak was trying to recover after getting pushed past the play, but he did over shoot the mark.

Edit: And I place the poor play of Rak today on coaching. They have to teach this kid more than just a bull rush.

Boone and others, I'm not blaming the defense for the loss. i think they played well. I just think that was a really dumb call by Haslett.

We have seen it all year, we are solid on 3rd and short but 3rd and longs we get killed!

Today I have a gripe with Brian Orakpo. On 3 of the long 3rd down conversions, Rak over shot the mark and did not contain his corner, allowing Romo to slip underneath and get out into the open field. This gave Romo time to see the open field and complete the long passes, one a TD to Whitten, and 2 other long 3rd down conversions. If he contains the edge, the rush gets to Romo from the other side.

I won't even go into the flat out hold by Free when he grabbed the back of Rak's jersey and was not called for holding. On that play Rak was trying to recover after getting pushed past the play, but he did over shoot the mark.

Edit: And I place the poor play of Rak today on coaching. They have to teach this kid more than just a bull rush.

Im just watching the fourth Q now, in this game Rak looked like a rookie again, Free is not a great LT Rak should have been eating his lunch. Rak is regressing not progressing this season, everytime he makes a play its almost purely on his strength. if we hadnt drafted Kerrigan we would be pretty much worse than last year. Haslett needs to learn how to scheme, how do we consistently give up conversions on third and a bus trip?

The offence gets the bulk of the WTF, this is so much like 2009 that I am hating even watching the games.

I'd say there is a pretty good chance that Haslett isn't back next season.

I hope like hell Hall isn't here next year. Every big play seemed to happen right in front of him, or with him laying on the ground on a blown coverage, or him getting turned round, or him giving Dallas first downs every chance he gets by going for the strip instead of the tackle. He isn't worth a **** to this team. Cut the dead weight. At least Carlos could cover. **** DeAngelo Hall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.