• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

How Dominant was the 91 Team?

I also believe the Buffalo team we faced in the SB was the most dangerous of the 4 Bills teams.

Pretty much all the same teams, except that, when we faced them, they were a returning SB team that had been unjustly robbed of their destiny, by a field goal that sailed wide right. They won that game everywhere but the scoreboard. Parcells and the Giants caught a lucky break.

The Bills were out to prove it was a fluke, and show the world they were the greatest team on earth. To get smacked down the way they did had to be completely demoralizing.

Unfortunately, it also laid the ground work for the Crackboys to roll them again the following 2 years, as "here we go again" was planted firmly into their psyche with the echoes of "Hail To The Redskins" looping through their brains.

don't know if it was a dominant team. what I remember most was that in critical situations...that team made the plays it had to make. whether that meant pushing it in down at the goal line or stopping the other guys on 3rd and inches. I especially remember the Houston game and how tight that was to keep the unbeaten season going.

the defense was phenomenal that season. offense had the deep passing game going.

I think it ultimately boils down to star power.

We simply had a bunch of guys who brought their lunch pails to work and kicked peoples' ass.

You hit it Canadian. The emphasis I use on the 91 Redskins is the very word "team."

This is what I meant by "typical Joe Gibbs team" in my earlier post. A bunch of guys coming together without a huge star to get the job done.

don't know if it was a dominant team. what I remember most was that in critical situations...that team made the plays it had to make. whether that meant pushing it in down at the goal line or stopping the other guys on 3rd and inches. I especially remember the Houston game and how tight that was to keep the unbeaten season going.

the defense was phenomenal that season. offense had the deep passing game going.

I don't know fan, not a single point was scored against them in RFK that year in the month of September. That is dominant.

The Lions were 12-4 that year and the Eagles were 10-6.

I went to Minneapolis and watched that team in XXVI against Buffalo. I was only 27 years old at the time and the trip cost a boatload of money based on what I had in my checking account. But I wondered if not now, when?

And 20 years later, looking back the team has only gone to the playoffs a handful of times and won just twice, against Minnesota in 1992 and Detroit in 1999.

How dominant was this team? The point differential puts this team among the top several squads in Super Bowl history.

The Redskins started off the season with THREE straight shutouts at home.

Mark Rypien threw SIX touchdown passes against the Atlanta Falcons at RFK in a 56-17 win in which they called the dogs off in the fourth quarter.

That game could have been 70-17 if Gibbs hadn't had a conscience.

I went to Minneapolis and watched that team in XXVI against Buffalo. I was only 27 years old at the time and the trip cost a boatload of money based on what I had in my checking account. But I wondered if not now, when?

And 20 years later, looking back the team has only gone to the playoffs a handful of times and won just twice, against Minnesota in 1992 and Detroit in 1999.

3 times...don't forget Tampa in 2005! (Your point still stands though).

I remember Deion Sanders having Evander Holyfield and a circus of stars on the sidelines for the Falcons playoff game at RFK that year and after the score was 24-7 a scan of the Falcons side showed that everyone had left :)

Damn right they were dominant. I think they get overlooked b/c there weren't any flashy superstars on that team. Just a lot of real good players, the best oline in the league, and great coaching.

I remember Deion Sanders having Evander Holyfield and a circus of stars on the sidelines for the Falcons playoff game at RFK that year and after the score was 24-7 a scan of the Falcons side showed that everyone had left :)

Seat cushion game.

as said in the other thread, we had Manley who was in the press a lot, and teams knew who Green and Mann were, we had a lot of probowl calibre guys on that 91 team, and amazing depth, and guys who not only filled a role but filled those roles at a probowl calibre level, monte coleman was only a nickel and dime linbacker but he may have been the best cover LB in the game that year. They were a perfect storm of talented guys who loved the game combined with coaches who KNEW how to use them to their best.

and like Neo said, when the wheels fell off it was a complete shock how fast it happened.

I dont think Manley was on the 91 team.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

you guys are absolutely right lol brain fart, I was thinking about Mann. has it really been so damn long?

I hear ya. They all start to run together don't they? Sigh.

Wilbur Marshall was the crazy SOB on the 91 team. One of the fiercest players I ever saw.

I hear ya. They all start to run together don't they? Sigh.

Wilbur Marshall was the crazy SOB on the 91 team. One of the fiercest players I ever saw.

one of my cousins was a huge bears fan and he cried when we signed marshall, he was easily one of the best OLBs in the league and depsite being on the dwonside when he got here he was a catalyst in 1991 for sure.

one of my cousins was a huge bears fan and he cried when we signed marshall, he was easily one of the best OLBs in the league and depsite being on the dwonside when he got here he was a catalyst in 1991 for sure.

I don't know Ryan, he was All-Pro in 1991 and 1992, Pro-Bowler in 92 and was Defensive Player of the Year in 92. I would say his decline started when he ended up in Houston the following year, 1993.

I don't know Ryan, he was All-Pro in 1991 and 1992, Pro-Bowler in 92 and was Defensive Player of the Year in 92. I would say his decline started when he ended up in Houston the following year, 1993.

you should have seen him with the bears! he played about 12 seasons, only a couple after he was with us and while he was still very good with us, he wasnt the same.

you should have seen him with the bears! he played about 12 seasons, only a couple after he was with us and while he was still very good with us, he wasnt the same.

Ryan, I remember very well that Bears team of the 80's that probably would have gone down as the best team in history had it not been for Gibbs being a far better coach than Ditka. That does not change the fact that Wilber Marshall did not fall off as Redskins LB from his days as a member of that Bears team.

Here are his career statistics that show his last 3 years with the Skins were almost identical as his 3 productive years as a Bear (His 1st season he saw little action).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MarsWi00.htm?redir

In 1992 he had his best season as a pro Ryan. He beat out players like Reggie White, Derrick Brooks, Junior Seau, Deion Sanders, and Bruce Smith for the Defensive Player of the Year.

He was more dominant as a player in any single year of his career as a member of the Washington Redskins than the Bears. There is just no denying that fact Ryan. And that was his last season with us. It wasn't until he began to follow Buddy Ryan from team to team that his production truly dropped off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.