• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Home Improvement Thread

another option for you Fear is to look through craigslist in your areas and see if anyone is selling the same washer or giving a broken one away. if it's broken you might be able to grab the part and all they want is for you to take it to the dump when you're done.

you could also check junk yards in your area, but that'll require calling them all and may be more work than you're willing to put into it :)

There are two parts that I cannot find

Make : GE
Model : DDE7200SBLWW
Part : WE04X0833
This has been discontinued. With that part number, you will never find a replacement. However, it is now available under the part number WE4X782 which is listed as the new compatibility part. You can find one here for $16.32 Universal Appliance Parts Inc. - Search

Make : GE
Model : WWA8620RBLWH
Part : WH12X893
This one was a little trickier. Turns out they haven't made this one in over a decade. But it's still a top seller in Australia under the name Kleenmaid instead of GE, which is the only place you will be able to find a replacement. Here's one for $66.06 WH12X893 SWITCH ROT TEMP @ KleenmaidAppliance Spare Parts G.E. General Electric

Thanks, I have quite the knack for finding obsolete parts. I guess it's a skill you acquire when you have old crappy cars and old lawnmowers you constantly have to repair :laugh:

Planning the basement while finishing the kitchen. Any thoughts on stained concrete for basement floor?

I think I convinced the wide to go with some darker shade of red :)

Ok lawn guru's I need some assistance! How often, and what kind of fertilizer should I use on my lawn?

The people we bought the house from had dogs, so there are brown spots from them.

I am going to install in a few weeks a battery backup sump pump in our basement. Does anybody have any suggestions on brands to use? Right now I am leaning towards this one, but I have also been thinking of just getting a 12 volt pump and doing the battery trickle charge on my own. One that doesn't over charge the battery. Thoughts??

Amazon.com: Wayne ESP25 12-Volt 3300 Gallons Per Hour Battery Back Up Sump Pump System: Home Improvement

I have already ordered a high water alarm that I am going to install.

I am going to install in a few weeks a battery backup sump pump in our basement. Does anybody have any suggestions on brands to use? Right now I am leaning towards this one, but I have also been thinking of just getting a 12 volt pump and doing the battery trickle charge on my own. One that doesn't over charge the battery. Thoughts??

Amazon.com: Wayne ESP25 12-Volt 3300 Gallons Per Hour Battery Back Up Sump Pump System: Home Improvement

I have already ordered a high water alarm that I am going to install.
Sta Rite. They have the best motors by far. They don't cost much more (maybe $50-$100 or so) but the motors on these last 20+ years, far outliving the competition for that price point. They typically have more power too.

Thanks Nobody, I am going to look into those!

I finished two projects that I have had in the works for a few weeks. The first was turning a piece of furniture into our wine bar. I had ordered the wine rack, and wine bottle holders for it a little while ago. This morning I had to paint and install the racks. Yes now one of my hands is black because the paint can decided to **** with me lol. The other was a the bottom half of a TV cabinet that is going in our girls room as a changing table. No paint issues with this one ;-)

Glad to get these projects finished up

photo 1 (5).jpg
Before
photo 5.jpg
After
photo 3 (2).jpg
Before
photo 4.jpg
After

Morning all. Quite a loose interpretation of 'home improvement', but exchanged contracts on our new house last week and moving this Wednesday. Moving myself, wife and 2 young daughters from our 2 bedroom flat on the London commuter belt, to a 5 bed house by the sea. So excited.

Been mad busy packing, and probably going to be on the missing list for the next couple of weeks, but will look in when I can.

Rave safe x

I bought crappy paint and am now paying the price. Have to put a second coat on and cleanup was a bitch.

If you've never used good paint you may not believe that there is a huge difference and in my opinion it's worth the cost.

Good paint only takes one coat.
It covers well and hides repair jobs the way you'd expect.
It also doesn't splatter everywhere as you roll it around.
It's a lot thicker and doesn't appear so runny and watery, it sticks to your roller like goo almost.

I have been working on the bench seats for the deck I am going to build! It is the rainy season so I Decided to start with these first, I still have some work to do but they are coming along. Each one will have a lid that opens, I am getting stainless steel piano hinges for them. I knew the dimensions, but did the design of them out of my head. They went together good, since I precut almost all of the pieces!

photo 1.jpg
photo 5.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg
photo 4.jpg
photo 3 (3).jpg
photo 2 (5).jpg
photo 5 (1).jpg

Anyone have an idea on how to resolve this ?

We have a plate, that dropped into a pot, perfectly flat - and the plate is the exact same size as the pot.
So the thing is lodged into the bottom of the pot now, as if it was cemented in there.
No attempt has been successful at removing it, whether it's pounding the pot, bending or stretching it to loosen it, or prying the plate.
Even tried lubricating the edges of the plate with vegetable cooking oil.
It won't budge.

Can anyone think of a trick, to set it free ?
Doesn't heat cause things to expand ? If I heat up the pot on the stove just slightly maybe, just enough to where it doesn't harm the plate, would that expand the pot just enough to loosen the plate ?

As a last resort, if nothing works, I'm thinking of just hammering the plate to shatter it. At least that saves the pot, while destroying the plate, since the pot is worth much more than the plate.

Last edited:
Anyone have an idea on how to resolve this ?

We have a plate, that dropped into a pot, perfectly flat - and the plate is the exact same size as the pot.
So the thing is lodged into the bottom of the pot now, as if it was cemented in there.
No attempt has been successful at removing it, whether it's pounding the pot, bending or stretching it to lossen it, or prying the plate.
Even tried lubricating the edges of the plate with vegetable cooking oil.
It won't budge.
Can anyone think of a trick, to set it free ?
As a last resort, if nothing works, I'm thinking of just hammering the plate to shatter it. At least that saves the pot, while destroying the plate, since the pot is worth much more than the plate.

I would try to put water in it and boil it. You would think the metal would expand enough for the water to get under it, and if it is boiling it would kinda bubble it up. This is just my theory, I have no clue if it will work or not! Good luck lol

I would try to put water in it and boil it. You would think the metal would expand enough for the water to get under it, and if it is boiling it would kinda bubble it up. This is just my theory, I have no clue if it will work or not! Good luck lol

Ha, I just edited my last post, asking about whether that same exact option would work, at the precise moment you posted.
So, while we don't know whether it will work - at least we know that we both think alike !!
Although, on second thought, you may not consider that a good thing ! ;)

Amateurs........put about a half cup of water in it. Somewhere around the edge, there will be room for the water to seep underneath it. When the water seeps underneath it, stick it in the freezer. Two things will happen.......the plate, because I'm assuming it is ceramic, will contract. Also, the water will freeze and expand, pushing the plate out of place. You're welcome :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.