• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

HogsHaven: Source - Raheem Morris was calling defensive plays in the 4th quarter

Writer for Hogs.net and he's been on the Sons of Washington podcast.

Can't comment on the validity of the report. It's probably not something the team would like to reach the public.

Is that sort of thing even avoidable anymore?

Heh, yeah it does pay to read full context before blowing up the the place.

It is odd, however, that this "old" story appears amidst the hype-of-the-day.

Heh, yeah it does pay to read full context before blowing up the the place.

It is odd, however, that this "old" story appears amidst the hype-of-the-day.

I could be wrong, but I think they're dusting it off now because the extensions weren't announced at the time? I'm not sure. But yeah, certainly kind of smells like a defensive maneuver.

Interesting - here's a tweet from one of the "insiders" at the other place:

Seems the same to me.. Talk kicks up Mcnabb having issues - same week contract extension. Talk kicks up about haz- Contract extension. Odd

I am no fan of Haslett, but honestly, does anyone reading this post know who Raheem Morris is?

Aside from google, does anyone know his background? Do you know why he was fired from Tampa? Do you know what happened or the allegations made against him?

I swear, I've seen this movie before. Please tell me Skins fans have learned something over the years.

Raheem Morris is not the answer my friends. If you are sitting there praying that he is, you are crazy.

Last edited:
I am no fan of Haslett, but honestly, does anyone reading this post know who Raheem Morris is?

Aside from google, does anyone know his background? Do you know why he was fired from Tampa? Do you know what happened or the allegations made against him?

I swear, I've seen this movie before. Please tell me Skins fans have learned something over the years.

Raheem Morris is not the answer my friends. If you are sitting there praying that he is, you are crazy.

Never liked the guy much, too over the top for me, but he had good players, and a nice tight secondary under Kiffin, the true mastermind of the "Tampa 2." He's not head coaching materiel, and really doesn't have DC credentials except for a season in the college ranks. He was supposed to take over the DC job in Tampa when Chucky got canned, and they threw him into the head coaching job, something he wasn't ready for. Don't know about the allegations of being to "buddy buddy" with his players, and letting the wrong type of stuff slide. Not hard to believe. He's fairly aggressive, and one thing for sure, he would never let the D coast no matter how big of a lead we have. I do think he could be a very good DC working under a strong head coach. Gruden wanted him to run the D, and while I'm not a big fan of him either, he's a good defensive coach in his own rite.

He has a lot of passion for the game, and at this point, I'd take him over Haz. We know what Haz brings, and I'd say the vast majority aren't too thrilled with the product. He's got to go, and if not Morris, than who ? Even when he's pissed, a dead white fish shows more passion then Haz.

I'm no Haslett fan, but if this nonsense is taking place, as described, then the whole ****ing coaching staff needs to be fired. We can bring back the bingo caller.

Replace him? Hell yes!
Like this? Hell no!

I'm no Haslett fan, but if this nonsense is taking place, as described, then the whole ****ing coaching staff needs to be fired. We can bring back the bingo caller.

Replace him? Hell yes!
Like this? Hell no!

I agree completely this is not the way to go about it.

Miles, I love the spirit and passion.

In short, Raheem Morris is a weaker version of Jim Zorn.

Check that.......Raheem is a drunken, weaker version of Jim Zorn.

With God as my witness, I want any member of this site to be the DC before Raheem Morris.

Please tell me this isn't happening. Please. We can't have this.

Last edited:
I love everyone here. I mean that. But God, anyone but Raheem. I understand that Skins fans have heard his name before, and therefore, they think he knows something about defense.

They aren't going to post this in the team program. Last year in Tampa:

The Buccaneers' defense was among the worst in the league in 2011. Tampa Bay allowed the most points in the league (494), the most yards per play (tied at 6.3), most yards per pass attempt (tied at 7.6), the most rushing yards (2,497) and the most rushing touchdowns (26). They also allowed the second most yards per attempt (5.0), the second most rushing first downs (135), the third most total yards (6,311) and fourth most total first downs (356) of all teams in 2011. [2]

He's not head coaching materiel, and really doesn't have DC credentials except for a season in the college ranks.

He has a lot of passion for the game, and at this point, I'd take him over Haz.

No. No. No. And no.

Please Pete....No.

There has to be someone better than Raheem. See above. No.

Morris tried to do in Tampa Bay what Romeo Crennel is trying to do-apparently unsuccessfully so far-in Kansas City. That is assume the duties of DC on top of being HC. Crennel came from the position of DC and kept those duties after being named HC, Morris assumed the duties of DC in addition to being HC while he was at Tampa Bay when he relieved Jim Bates of his DC duties. He had been named HC to replace Gruden a month after Gruden was fired.

It was while Morris had this dual role that the Bucs made their turnaround from a 3-13 record in 2009 to 10-6 in 2010 which, no doubt, added to his "mystique" as a coaching guru. The accusations about his relationships with players may or may not have been part of his dismissal but Morris seems to feel like he was made the scapegoat of the Bucs dismal 2011 season and he's not afraid to make that known.

Relating all that to the current situation, Shanahan is apparently very frustrated with Haslett's performance so far and would probably be more than happy to dump Haz but, and this is my opinion only, is afraid to disrupt the coaching staff heirarchy this early in the season. He could surprise me here though.

Having Morris replace Haz as DC? I'm not sure that's a great idea-he has had success as defensive backs coach-after he was brought back to Tampa Bay in 2007 as defensive backs coach the Bucs pass D went from 19th to #1-but after that things went sour.

It's entirely possible his lack of success right before his firing by Tampa Bay was due to "biting off more than he could chew" being HC and DC and also some think his "friendliness" toward the players was detrimental to his potential success.

Maybe. But Shanahan has to do something about Haz's inability or unwillingness to adjust mid-game when his D scheme obviously isn't working.

Ax, I'm sorry, but I can't relate this to the "bingo caller" cluster****-different situation entirely, especially considering who was making the decisions.

I think Raheem is just another in a long line of awesome defensive coordinators that are mediocre or failed miserably as head coaches.

Wade Phillips
Marvin Lewis
Richie Petitbon
Romeo Crennel
Lovie Smith
Bill Belichik (until he stumbled on Brady - that one's for you, Om)

Its not 7am yet, so I can't think of more. But you get the point. It could be that he's a terrible DC as well as HC, but I just don't know enough about him. My gut tells me that if he were to focus solely on defense, he'd bring that fire to the Redskins D that was there in his first year in Tampa.

I was hoping to get Wade Phillips here when he became available, I still do. If you’re going to run a 3-4 and you wanted to get the top guy available, he’d be my choice. He’s proven it over and over. Dick LeBeau is never going to leave Pittsburgh, so he can’t make the list. *This is for coordinator not head coach of course*

I’m not trying to stir the pot or anything with this post. I’m certainly not calling for Haslett’s job or anything…yet. Not sure if I'm comfortable with Morris either from what I'm reading here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.