• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

HogsHaven: Rex Grossman Breakdown, Part I - All 5 INTs

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date
geez...talk about stretches....this analysis comes way short...even on its imagined statistical purity. for example.....the breadbasket interceptions that have been dropped in nearly every game. some down by the goal line.

there's no timing analysis (how long unto the ball is out of his hands). there's no way to substantiate the check down/read assertion...in fact...IMO...RG often gets into trouble precisely because he decides in advance woh he wants to go to.

A+ for effort by these guys. It's a good idea and an impressive start. not so hot on the analysis.

geez...talk about stretches....this analysis comes way short...even on its imagined statistical purity. for example.....the breadbasket interceptions that have been dropped in nearly every game. some down by the goal line.

Stretches? Its intelligent analysis backed up by game film. And as to the "breadbasket interceptions that have been dropped," what part of "All 5 of Rex's interceptions" don't you understand? Or are you saying that the defense should be awarded those interceptions anyway, despite dropping them? In that case, Josh Wilson should be credited with at least 2 INTs in the Dallas game, and the W should be given to us. 4-0, baby!!!!

Dropped interceptions happen - fortunately for Rex, they don't count. As the old cliche goes, CBs would be WRs if only they could catch.

there's no timing analysis (how long unto the ball is out of his hands). there's no way to substantiate the check down/read assertion...in fact...IMO...RG often gets into trouble precisely because he decides in advance woh he wants to go to.

A+ for effort by these guys. It's a good idea and an impressive start. not so hot on the analysis.

There is just no pleasing some people - this analysis is fantastic work IMHO.

Why am I all of a sudden having Carlos Rogers flashbacks? :twitch:

You know Al, I was going to make a snide remark in Destino's great thread the other day and suppressed it.

But you are a poster child for what he's describing.

So now we're going to criticize players for plays that almost happened too?

Stretches? Its intelligent analysis backed up by game film. And as to the "breadbasket interceptions that have been dropped," what part of "All 5 of Rex's interceptions" don't you understand? Or are you saying that the defense should be awarded those interceptions anyway, despite dropping them? In that case, Josh Wilson should be credited with at least 2 INTs in the Dallas game, and the W should be given to us. 4-0, baby!!!!

Dropped interceptions happen - fortunately for Rex, they don't count. As the old cliche goes, CBs would be WRs if only they could catch.

There is just no pleasing some people - this analysis is fantastic work IMHO.

No.....Dr Lanky...Phd in mathematics. If the analysis is on patterns and performance, then dropping from the sample set bad throws (is it two or three so far?) that went right into the defensive player's hands matter. It is very relevant to UNDERSTANDING & knowledge. I accept that Global Warming and all the other favored causes might lead one to think that massaging the data to reach a predetermined conclusion is A O K. others of us who prefer solid analysis think otherwise.

If the analysis is on patterns and performance, then dropping from the sample set bad throws (is it two or three so far?) that went right into the defensive player's hands matter.

Fansince, I will accept your criteria-the failure of the defender to catch the throw does not erase the fact of the throw being inaccurate and should be counted in calculating Grossman's INT percentage.

Concordantly, drops by Redskins receivers-this time being failure to catch a pass thrown accurately should be counted as completed passes when calculating Grossman's completion percentge-which, as a result, would be better, as would his calculated QBR.

If Rex would've had his OC help him out Sunday, two of those picks never happen.

Fansince, I will accept your criteria-the failure of the defender to catch the throw does not erase the fact of the throw being inaccurate and should be counted in calculating Grossman's INT percentage.

Concordantly, drops by Redskins receivers-this time being failure to catch a pass thrown accurately should be counted as completed passes when calculating Grossman's completion percentge-which, as a result, would be better, as would his calculated QBR.

fine by me. then let's carry this to exact extremes:

- batted passes

- passes behind the receiver

- passes to the wrong shoulder

- high passes

- fumbles

- sacks caused by holding onto the ball too long

- failure to see open receivers

- out passes into the turf

- intentional grounding hose-ups

and on and on.

RG has done many good things. He has impressed me with his fade passes to the end zone - didn't think, based on preseason, he had that touch. he can thread it at times. he has executed the part of the offense they have tasked him to lead. as QB...3-1 is as much his achievement as anyone's. he's kept his mouth shut through good and bad. he's even amusing at times - ever notice how butterball almost misses making handoffs for running plays off tackle? he has to sprint!

the analysis needs work. again...I think it's a great idea and a good start. I remember similar stuff two years ago at the other place during the Campbell wars.

fansince62 said:
everything he said in this thread

This is why I hate college graduates, they are too smart for their own good. I would hate to have a certificate that said I was that smart, and worse be a mathmetican or however the English majors spell it.

I would hate to have that anvil that is given to the smarts weighing on my head, forcing me to hate on my team for every error possibly imagined. I like being rough arround the edges, and not being able to spell well and not being super smart. It lets me enjoy our wins, and go into every game with fervor of victory.

I smash me like.

My dumbness out of the way, I really liked the break down that site provided about the ints grossman threw. It was interesting football talk, and I agree with their assesment. I know Im not a college graduate so it doesnt hold weight as correct, but Im saying anyway.

we are voting right, 9-7 bitches and Im gonna win power ball.

No.....Dr Lanky...Phd in mathematics. If the analysis is on patterns and performance, then dropping from the sample set bad throws (is it two or three so far?) that went right into the defensive player's hands matter. It is very relevant to UNDERSTANDING & knowledge. I accept that Global Warming and all the other favored causes might lead one to think that massaging the data to reach a predetermined conclusion is A O K. others of us who prefer solid analysis think otherwise.

Hmmm...lots I COULD respond to in this post, but I will simply say: no, the analysis is not on "patterns and performance." The analysis was on Grossman's 5 interceptions, which I thought was pretty clear from the title of the thread as well as the title of the article.

If you want a breakdown of every throw Grossman has made, I suggest FootballOutsiders.com.

Hmmm...lots I COULD respond to in this post, but I will simply say: no, the analysis is not on "patterns and performance." The analysis was on Grossman's 5 interceptions, which I thought was pretty clear from the title of the thread as well as the title of the article.

If you want a breakdown of every throw Grossman has made, I suggest FootballOutsiders.com.

ok...then let's clear the air. one can accept/reject an analysis focused exclusively on 5 picks. fine! those conclusions have limited utility in describing how he is actually functioning as a QB. cool! You're happy. I'm happy.

ok...then let's clear the air. one can accept/reject an analysis focused exclusively on 5 picks. fine! those conclusions have limited utility in describing how he is actually functioning as a QB. cool! You're happy. I'm happy.

All it was trying to do was breakdown the 5 interceptions Grossman threw. There is some sort of disconnect here, and I'm not sure what it is. Its not an analysis of Grossman as a QB, its a breakdown of 5 individual plays. Its not making any kind of statement about Grossman as a QB, its making a statement about 5 particular plays. That's it! No need to over-complicate it. :)

fine by me. then let's carry this to exact extremes:

- batted passes

- passes behind the receiver

- passes to the wrong shoulder

- high passes

- fumbles

- sacks caused by holding onto the ball too long

- failure to see open receivers

- out passes into the turf

- intentional grounding hose-ups

and on and on.

It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?

African, or European?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.