• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Help a Ukrainian Refugee Family

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
markcollage2.png

https://gofund.me/94bc0c43

I want you to meet a special family who desperately need our help. This is Mark, father of two amazing daughters, Elina (10 years), and Anna.(7 years). Mark, Elina, and Anna are from Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine which is on the eastern border of Ukraine near several nuclear power plants. Mark, Elina, and Anna speak only Russian.

Swept up in the war in Ukraine, Mark and his daughters were forcibly removed from their home, had all of their belongings seized or stolen, and were forced to flee their beloved country. For months, Mark moved his daughters across his war-torn country, sleeping in cars and train stations, looking for food and refuge in churches, literally with nothing more than the clothes on their backs and what would fit into one small bag each.

Can you even imagine what this must've been like, both for Mark and these two young girls? Absolutely gut-wrenching and terrifying. Mark and the girls were eventually able to escape the devastation behind them and enter into Germany. While in Germany they connected with a family on the Welcome.us website and were able to find their way legally to the United States via the 'Uniting for Ukraine' humanitarian program. My dear and incredibly generous friend and her husband have been hosting this family for months now but they need our help.

In Ukraine, Mark was an auto mechanic and also worked in construction (tiling, plumbing, drywall, etc..). Mark is fiercely independent and wants to find employment - but this takes money. Money for transportation, clothing, insurance, driver's licensure, and all of the daily needs we all take for granted. Elina and Anna are enrolled in school already but do not speak english, and also have many unmet needs. All 3 have Social Security numbers, are learning the english language, and Mark is authorized to seek employment.

These 3 amazing human beings love their new country and represent everything that makes America wonderful (don't believe what you read and hear on social media - this is still an amazing country). And one of the things that makes this country great is our endless generosity and empathy.

Each of us have the opportunity to donate to worthy causes every year - through work, church, or of our own volition. But do we really even know what happens to our generous donations? Usually not. This is an opportunity for you to make a difference in 3 human lives that will never be forgotten. I have made a cash donation to Mark, Elina, and Anna and I cannot describe to you how grateful they have been for even a modest amount of help.

I am a US Marine and even I know - war is an awful, awful thing. This is an opportunity to help 3 very deserving victims of the ravages of war. I cannot imagine the horror of being forcibly removed from the only home you have ever known, or the pressure Mark must've felt trying to find safe harbor for the loves of his life - his two young daughters. I cannot imagine losing everything I had ever worked for in an instant, and being destitute and without hope.

These 3 fellow humans have hope now. We can give them a lot more of it. Please consider making a donation. We can make a tremendous difference in their lives.

I talked to some of the guys about doing this as a 'site campaign' and I will start putting it out there as such. Hoping we can open with it on the pod (I won't take up much time). Please guys, share the story and link on your social media accounts, via email, any way you can. When you see it pop up on social media I would appreciate you sending it out again as a retweet, reply to it, etc...

Such a sad story. I really want to do some good for these folks who have been living with my friend Donnava and her husband for several months now. They literally have nothing.

You are a good soul, John.

My wife’s native language is Russian. She was born in Belarus, raised in the USSR, and fled to Finland during Perestroika with two young sons and the clothes on their backs.

If she can be of any assistance, even the opportunity for any of them to gain some comfort through a phone conversation in their Mother tongue, I’m certain she would jump at the chance.

Thanks Bob - trying to make up for my personality! My friends Donnava and Mark who have taken these 3 into their home - they are the good souls. Amazing to do something like that.

My wife’s native language is Russian. She was born in Belarus, raised in the USSR, and fled to Finland during Perestroika with two young sons and the clothes on their backs.

If she can be of any assistance, even the opportunity for any of them to gain some comfort through a phone conversation in their Mother tongue, I’m certain she would jump at the chance.

Thank you Chris - I will let my friends know...

Thanks brother :cheers: And it goes without saying, not expecting anyone here to donate - totally fine either way. If you can't donate, you can help by promoting the campaign anywhere you can.

• Fist Bump
Reactions: Om
Thanks to a lot of you guys, we are off to a good start with $625 raised. Please take the time to share our link with your social media contacts. It literally takes 2 minutes and it makes a huge difference. On behalf of Mark, Elina, and Anna (who have no idea we are doing this), thanks for your support!

$725 of our $5000 goal after day 1. I will be resharing at least daily on Facebook and Twitter. Any help on that front is greatly appreciated.

Today's update - we've raised $1300 for Mark, Elina, and Anna. Please continue sharing our link on social media, via email, text, whatever you are comfortable with and thank you!

We are up to $1600 - still a long way off from the goal I set of $5000 but we will keep plugging away. Any help retweeting and sharing on social media is appreciated. I am doing Seinfeld-themed requests for help until I run out of ideas.

Starting the day off at a total of $2125 in donations. We’re getting there. 1 more week to get to the finish line. Please share our campaign link once or twice daily to help us get to our goal.

We’re at almost $2400 towards our $5000 goal as of this morning. I will be wrapping up our campaign next Friday and delivering the funds to Mark, Elina, and Anna next weekend. We can still hit our goal with a big push. Please consider giving if you haven’t yet and we would appreciate you all sharing our link on social media and anywhere you can!

We've raised $2,850 for Mark, Elina, and Anna so far. 4 more days in our campaign to try and get to our $5000 goal. Thanks to many of you who have contributed directly and/or shared our GoFundMe link. This will make a huge difference to this family.

Just exceeded $3000. Gonna push hard these last few days to get as close to our goal as possible.

Thank you SO much to all of our Ukrainian family donors to include:

Kathleen Cashman
Selim Bingol
Cathy White Kirkpatrick
Deb Young
James Goalder
Derek Gardner
Becca Reardon
Lisa Chimento
Malcolm Andrews
Jason Burris
Jon Ford
Dan Mazo
Anne Jeffries Reardon
Kathryn Reardon
Marlena DeHart
Karen Meyers
John Gay
Jeniene Smoot
Bruce Rand Berman
Michele Gardner
Daniel Jeffries
Patrick Sullivan
Home Knight
Paul Beltrano
Jill Pelkey
Geoff Eade
Cathy Mcalee
Jayne Hall
Kurt Kratch
Carlee Chambers Hosp
John Mann
Bruce Bradbury
Gary Brown
Maria Thurlow
Mark Steven
Pamela Byers
Chris Tauber
Bob Floyd
Ernest Blakemore Jr.
Several 'anonymous' donators

Thanks to some super generous donations today, we have collected a total of $3740. We may not get to our goal, but we are closer than I thought we might be, and who knows, still possible we hit it! Thanks guys and please keep sharing our campaign link.

Flurry of donations over the past several days has us well over our goal with nearly $5,700 in donations. Will keep the GoFundMe campaign open for one last 24 hour push. This family is going to be blown away by this gift - which for them is a life-changing amount of money given where they are right now.

Share the link if you can and let's see if we can get a few more donations before our work is done.

Very impressive, John! Your commitment to the effort deserves high praise. 🙏

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.