• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Head Coach Search

Who's Your Preferred Next Head Coach?

• Brian Kelly (Notre Dame HC)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Teryl Austin (Detroit DC)

• Doug Marrone (Jags OL Coach)

• Hue Jackson (Cincy OC)

• David Shaw (Stanford HC)

• Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M)

• Darell Bevell (Seattle OC)

• Adam Gase (Bears OC)

• Josh McDaniels (Patriots OC)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Sean Payton (Saints HC)

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Bill Callahan (Skins OL)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Other: Post your candidate

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
I do not need to see a whole lot more from Kirk to know he will not be the answer. I'd throw him out there against the Bucs, see how he does and make a change if needed at the bye. Give McCoy some time to get his feet under him.

I don't see making a change at the head coach position until the season is finished. Gruden still has some time to pull the team together. The game yesterday was brutal; if we spiral off that loss and finish out at 4-12 or something, I think he goes. If he pulls the team together and rebounds, he might stay. Either way, if McL fires him next week during the bye, I trust McL's judgment. If he waits, that's cool too.

I was for giving Gruden the axe last Black Monday, and I predicted he'd be gone this bye week (or 7 days from now). However, I think the smart thing to do nothing until the end of the season... You don't want anyone evaluated based on the crap they are inheriting and you have some pretty good coaching pieces, mixed in with a bunch of guys who got here because of their Tampa connections...

I know this HC had a few issues in Oakland with abusing players, but I'd probably lean towards someone like Tom Cable as HC and then work with him to fill out his staff. With McCloughan picking the talent, Cable may have more of an opportunity in DC than he had with Al Davis picking players in Oakland. I also think Cable would put the right coaches in place and just be content being a HC, not sharing OC or DC duties. His OC was Hue Jackson... While I like Hue Jackson, I'm not so thrilled about taking on a HC who will want a heavy share of responsibility with either the Offense or the Defense... Let's get a HC who just wants to be HC and then hire a quality OC & DC...

I agree that the next potential quality head coach, unless already an assistant on the team, would generally not be available until after the season. I'll just view Gruden as the interim Head Coach. :)

I also agree that totally starting from scratch again would be a mistake, but I don't see McLovin making that mistake. Bring someone in who fits with what he's already started to build.

I fully agree that Gruden should finish out the year. I'm fine with his being evaluated at that time. I think he deserves to have a more complete roster at his disposal than he has had so far.

As most know, I'm not a fan. But, hey, I'm still willing to give him a chance to change my mind. :)

I thing McCloughan has given Gruden all the rope he wants to be a success or hang himself. Gruden hired Barry as DC, which so far has done a decent job. Then Gruden made the call on who his QB would be. This hasn't worked out as well.

At what point does Gruden start to lose the team? And why won't Gruden use Ross and Crowder as deep threats to keep everyone from loading up the box?

The thing that disturbed me was that we did'nt finish well. Especially after the gut check against the Falcons. I couldn't wait to see how we responded to that Falcons loss. A good showing against the Jets would have restored faith in Gruden. For one half we did better than I thought we would. Then the meltdown. Admittedly, we were simply undermanned. I expected more from the coach rather than more from an undermanned team.

If we still had RG3 for one more year, I would want Greg Roman or Darell Bevell, both of whom I wanted over Gruden. Since all 3 of our QBS will be out the door when the year ends, I'm not sure.
The most in demand prospect is likely to be Kyle Shanahan, who would be out of the question. Sean Payton needs a brilliant QB to be effective. I can even see them promoting Callahan.
One thing is for absolute certainty - I DO NOT WANT SNYDER PICKING ANOTHER HC - EVER!!

- the defense is less disciplined than it was earlier

- the offense hasn't done anything remarkable since the season began

- the coaches seem unable to change prevailing patterns

Tampa? we should win. but then we'll be clobbered by NE. this is shaping up as a six win season unless one of those unpredictable and unlikely streaks occurs.

hope that this is not what it looks like - a team unraveling....or....at the very least....regressing.

Hello Sean Payton! Hey Sean we got this guy Hopkins kicking for us now. He is lighting it up! Plus we have this pass rushing genius named Junior Galette! You will love him!
Welcome to the DMV!

I thing McCloughan has given Gruden all the rope he wants to be a success or hang himself. Gruden hired Barry as DC, which so far has done a decent job. Then Gruden made the call on who his QB would be. This hasn't worked out as well.

At what point does Gruden start to lose the team? And why won't Gruden use Ross and Crowder as deep threats to keep everyone from loading up the box?
I agree Gruden probably should be gone after this season but I mostly disagree with your reasoning. I blame him for what I still think is a bad DC hire and for not being able to anticipate and effectively counter opponent's 3rd Q adjustments. What I don't blame him for is the Cousins decision which was a Kobayashi Maru. He couldn't play Griffin because he's horrible and because he needs to be kept in bubble wrap. Cousins outplayed McCoy during the preseason and we needed to know what he really was capable of before his rookie contract expires so he was the pick. So I think he got it right even though I do think in hindsight, McCoy was the lesser of two evils choice. The underlying problem is, none of our QBs are much good.

There were a few times last season when I think it was apparent that Gruden was in over his head. He's made some progress but like Capt. Kirk at QB, I think it's probably going to be too little too late.

Gruden doesn't get fired before the end of the season if for no other reason the only viable alternative today is Callahan who is too valuable where he is especially considering the current state of the OLine.

3rd Quarter problems are more offensive than defensive. 45+ points given up vs 3 points scored this season. It's a lot of points given up but only about a TD a game. Without some offensive scoring to put a dent in that is a problem. Even averaging a FG knocks that down to a 4 point deficit.

Per Gruden "... But we haven’t gotten much success or results in the third quarter. I don’t know. We’ll figure it out.” link: http://http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Looking-To-Nip-Third-Quarter-Struggles/2b2cecde-b6c3-447f-b025-18208a146387

Obviously there's more to the article. However, "I don’t know. We’ll figure it out." doesn't fill me with confidence after 6 games. It seems like the coaches are trying to figure out what offensive plays might work instead of looking at what their opponents defenses are doing to stop them after halftime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.