• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Haynesworth Inactive on Season Opener? (No Confirmation)

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/hard-hits/2010/09/reports_haynesworth_may_be_ina.html

This could be very interesting! In June when Haynesworth didn't show and demanded a trade, this is exactly what I wanted! Now that we are about to start the season, I am not so sure I don't want him in there against the Cowturds. I want our best players on the field and regardless of his indiscretions he is one of, if not the best defensive lineman on the team.

If given the chance, do you guys think he would play to his ability? Or do you think at this point we will never see his potential here in DC?

I think this has to do with the one question we can not know, or find out, really. Is he in shape? If he is in shape, this is petty by Shanahan. If he is not in shape though, and could risk injury with playing more while starting, he just needs to get healthy.

Would he play to his ability? I doubt it. Fat Al reminds me of just genuinely lazy people. He got his money, he's done. Having said that, the coaching staff clearly believes they can get something out of him, or he wouldn't still be here. He has to be worth it to some extent.

Al at 80% probably is better than a lot of guys out there.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

'by Lavar Arrington'.

What a joke that line alone is. I can't stand Arrington, and I've developed that distaste for him from multiple observations of his clown-act in the Redskins locker room. Arrington should full well understand the Redskins impatience with Albert Haynesworth. It's the same juvenile act Arrington himself was so good at during his last few years in DC.

I don't know if Haynesworth will start, play, or sit out the opener against Dallas. I guess from a purely selfish perspective, I hope he plays because I think our chances with him in there are better than without. But I also totally defer to the coaching staff on that call. The only thing I'm sure of is that the likelihood of a Lavar Arrington being able to report objectively, fairly, or truthfully on ANYTHING is more of a known quantity than anything we could divine in regards to Albert Haynesworth.

Is he in shape? I didn't see him down on his knees sucking wind or asking to come out of the game. I'd say he is in decent football shape compared to last year. Then again, I don't exactly know what Shanahan considers "football shape".

I'd consider the possibility that the entire issue is a complete fabrication on Arrington's part. Not saying that's the case (even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile), but it's certainly possible.

Since AH played so very poorly in the 4th game, it wouldn't surprise me if he was inactive. The coaches were appalled at how badly he played and how little effort he gave. It's time for AH to go. I don't give a crap how talented he is; he's a worthless POS.

I'd consider the possibility that the entire issue is a complete fabrication on Arrington's part. Not saying that's the case (even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile), but it's certainly possible.

It may not be. Seems others are picking up on this story line.

Haslett after the game, said he wanted to watch the film on the way back and then over the course of the next day (Friday). Apparently, a few people didn't like what they saw.

I have yet to see the tape of the game, but I remember in the broadcast booth, I was not impressed in any way by Haynesworth's performance -- but figured it was because he was trying to learn the scheme and be a little more disciplined.

Another league source when asked about the possible deactivating of Haynesworth "Mike wouldn't do that, would he?" Sadly, it has come to a point -- where he may not have a choice. The source continued - benching Albert would be similar to "buying a Ferrari and keeping it in your garage."

ESPN 980 Chris Russell

I've been thinking.... that baltimore game with the fake punt right....

mike shanahan is a respected head coach returning from retirement....

the ravens coach is some scrub with no superbowl rings....

maybe coach mike shanahan felt disrespected by a younger (new era) coach and said...

I dont want the NFL to know I'm coming... and Fat albert is the icing on the cake.

I have wondered the same z0e...if maybe Mike wasn't jobbing the whole league with the Haynesworth thing. Consider the headlines we would have seen if not for the Al thing...

McNabb: Does he still have it?

Portis, Johnson and Parker in a three way cage match!

Are the Inside Linebackers big enough for the 3-4?

Where are the Receivers?

Sure, we saw some of that but it wasn't nearly what it could have or would have been without Al to talk about. Totally took the heat off of every other guy in camp, from McNabb on down. Every other story paled in comparison and I'm sure some didn't even run because of it.

I'm not saying this was a smokescreen for sure but I am saying no one can prove it wasn't one either (except for Shanahan and Allen).

I have to admit, zOe, this conjectured scenario has an appealing quality to it.

Shanahan has been playing things very close to the vest; watching his podcasts, he frustrates the daylights out of reporters trying to pry information from him he doesn't want to divulge and sometimes it seems like he enjoys the "gaming" aspect of it. Statements I've both heard and seen from players hint that we haven't seen anything but the barest hints of what the new offense and defense will look like when fully revealed. So, the scenario you speculate might be operative has at least a backdrop of displayed behavior that might lend it credibility. What better way to demonstrate your skill than with an unsuspected display of prowess as an HC? Shanny's a sneaky S.O.B. and loves being in control-both features I like in a head coach, especially one with his football smarts.

Honestly, at least part of me would love to see him spring a "well hidden" package of football surprises on the Cowbums on opening day and announce "Here's the new and improved Redskins, folks" to a stunned NFL world.

I can dream, can't I?

Honestly, at least part of me would love to see him spring a "well hidden" package of football surprises on the Cowbums on opening day and announce "Here's the new and improved Redskins, folks" to a stunned NFL world.

I can dream, can't I?

A reoccurring dream I keep having every night.

.....perchance to dream. Aye, there's the rub!

I'm hoping this isn't like the NFL Draft where we dream of magnificent picks and deals that could be steals only to have it become the ho-hum affair it always seems to be. We ALL really want Mike to have four aces up his sleeve and deliver something akin to a 42-10 thrashing of the hated Cowboys.

The reality will likely be that NcNabb will be doing a lot of moving around and sitting on his backside post-pass, we won't run the ball effectively and the defense will struggle a bit, make a play here and there, but we won't see a whole lot that will actually make most NFL teams quake in their boots. We'll play fairly well and it will be another one of those dreaded, nail-biting games that will leave us with a post-game headache, win or lose. In other words, we may be satisfied with a win but we won't be overly happy because we didn't destroy them or catch them by surprise.

Oh, how we all crave an opening night we can put a stamp on. Yes, we're probably greedy but , DAMMIT, we DESERVE it! Just once, I'd like to sit back after the opener and feel like we have more answers than questions and be able to say, "We just might have a pretty darn good team this year".

Yeah, here's to dreaming. :cheers:

Lemme kick this lifeless horse just one more time. Then, I swear, I'm done with it.

Haynesworth was one of two things this preseason. Either 1) not even close to football shape, or 2) simply not trying.

I'm hoping it's the former. That can be corrected. The latter likely can't.

I am with you Jimbo. It is nice to sit back and think that Shanny is going to pull out some great hat trick, but in reality we will probably look very average. What should be a fantastical beautiful woman is alas just a plain old white rabbit.

It seems like every offseason, we the Redskins faithful, always fool ourselves into believing we are better than we are. We are always creating some fantasy that our coaches are holding back this magnificent football team that has never been seen before.

It happens every year as far back as I can remember. Oh, Saunders isn't showing any of his stuff, Gibbs is holding back, Zorn will unleash the monster in week one. We fool ourselves every year. But, I guess that is what it means to be a dedicated/fanatical football fan.

Haynesworth played sub-par to poorly this preseason. He should have been whipping some third stringers butts Thursday night. He wasn't, in fact many times he was pushed around and ended up floundering on the ground like a dying cockroach. It seemed to happen fairly often to me, or at least more than one would care to see. He should be demanding double teams and he is not.

I do not believe that Shanny has some great secret plan for Haynesworth. I hope he does, however, it is probably fantasy. Haynesworth is in shape, he is just dogging it, just like he did with the sprints. He is a bum. I hope he turns his play/attitude around because we are definitely a better defense with him playing at the highest level.

Man..****.

Haynesworth is beaten, but in beating his ego we've made a toothless bear.

He's not worried about us, Mike.

And if he is, he knows out to win us back. Get out there and produce. The first time he slams Romo Sunday, I'll be out of my seat screaming as if none of this had ever happened.

.....t always seems to be. We ALL really want Mike to have four aces up his sleeve and deliver something akin to a 42-10 thrashing of the hated Cowboys.

We'll play fairly well and it will be another one of those dreaded, nail-biting games that will leave us with a post-game headache, win or lose. In other words, we may be satisfied with a win but we won't be overly happy because we didn't destroy them or catch them by surprise.

Jimbo-I'm enough of a realist to know that what I expressed has little likelihood of actually coming to pass. By being that way, however, it makes it easier to accept less than what I'd ideally like to see-in all honesty, I would have absolutely no complaints about 17-10 much less 42-10.

Haynesworth was one of two things this preseason. Either 1) not even close to football shape, or 2) simply not trying.

I'm hoping it's the former. That can be corrected. The latter likely can't.

HH, considering the effort, or lack thereof, I saw him display in the Cardinals game it could be both-he didn't work hard enough to exhaust himself even if he wasn't in "football shape" in my view.

It seems like every offseason, we the Redskins faithful, always fool ourselves into believing we are better than we are. We are always creating some fantasy that our coaches are holding back this magnificent football team that has never been seen before.

It happens every year as far back as I can remember. Oh, Saunders isn't showing any of his stuff, Gibbs is holding back, Zorn will unleash the monster in week one. We fool ourselves every year. But, I guess that is what it means to be a dedicated/fanatical football fan.

Omniscient, what you say here is undoubtedly accurate but it makes me wonder, then, why do I have a sense of potential optimism with Shanahan more than I've had with anyone else coaching the Skins since Gibbs 1?

Man..****.

Haynesworth is beaten, but in beating his ego we've made a toothless bear.

Mike, man, I have to confess I don't know how you can see things I don't-maybe I'm lacking something, but I just for the life of me can't figure out what it is in Haynesworth you see that I fail to see. No "good", "bad", "right", "wrong" or anything like that here, I'm just mystified.

On a related note, I was perusing a Houston Texans fan forum earlier that has an ongoing thread about Haynesworth that dates back to April with well over 100 posts, including close to twenty this past week. The theme? They're discussing what they think the Texans should be willing to give in order to get Fat Al-some fans there apparently would love to have him, even at 60% effort-level, on their defensive front. Interesting. I don't know if the Texans FO has any interest or not.

Pls folks.....AH's mindset is very understandable: a final, meaningless pre-season game. Playing a 9 yr pro, two time pro-bowler almost the entire game? that's total horse**** and everyone knows it. that game is for about-to-be-cut cannon fodder and practice squad wanna bes.

I posted elsewhere this theme and will return to it in the years to come: Shanahan will never, ever, never, ever go down as a great Redskin coach. He doesn't give a friggin hoot about the Redskins. What he cares about is his legacy, his sense of authority,his ego. It's almost palpable at press conferences: this man has a towering ego. He may reintroduce winning football and a controlled locker room...he may even win a SB (though not with this band aided roster)......but he'll never go down in Redskin history on an elevated plane like Coach Gibbs. In more colloquial terms - as a person Mike Shanahan is beginning to evince the characteristics of a first rate rectal orifice. we shall see.

Mike, man, I have to confess I don't know how you can see things I don't-maybe I'm lacking something, but I just for the life of me can't figure out what it is in Haynesworth you see that I fail to see. No "good", "bad", "right", "wrong" or anything like that here, I'm just mystified.

serv...you're not seeing the whole playing field. there's a dynamic here and AH is not the only actor. The appropriate questions to ask include not only how Haynesworth has made a debacle of things, but whether/how inept the coaching staff has been in turning things to the team's advantage. from where I sit, this all appears to me like colossal failures at both ends. Look at the subtleties...recall how Shanahan placed a gag order on Haslett until AH passed his little conditioning exercise? well...my my....looks like mums the word has been reimposed. why would that be?

Omniscient, what you say here is undoubtedly accurate but it makes me wonder, then, why do I have a sense of potential optimism with Shanahan more than I've had with anyone else coaching the Skins since Gibbs 1?

They're discussing what they think the Texans should be willing to give in order to get Fat Al-some fans there apparently would love to have him, even at 60% effort-level, on their defensive front. Interesting. I don't know if the Texans FO has any interest or not.

I am pretty optimistic as well, just do not want to go over board.

It is funny about the Texans, they run a 3-4. Rumor has it that Al doesn't like that scheme. They could use a big NT. Okoye does not seem to be cutting it so far for them, however, he is young I think he is only 20 or 21.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.