• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Haslett's Job Security

What Does Haslett Have To Do To Keep His Job?

• Win the Super Bowl

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Deep Playoff Run

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Playoff Appearance

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Contend for Playoffs

• Nothing - I Want Him Fired!

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Nothing - I Want Him Back!

• Total voters

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
Given that the D has played better the last two weeks (2nd half against the Pukes aside), what would you have to see in order for you to feel comfortable retaining Haslett for next year?

Nothing. He has to go...

If the Redskins wind up at, say, 8-8 or possibly better, I may have to find a way to be comfortable with Haslett's return. Under those circumstances I think his job is secure. I could be wrong, but I don't see him leaving under those circumstances and it has more to do with the offense than anything else. As long as our offense keeps us in a position to win against anybody, and our offense is doing just that right now, in-game defensive slumps will be swept under the conceptual rug in the euphoria of a win. A loss or two-as long as they're close and not obviously due to major defensive failure-won't put enough pressure on Shanahan to force his hand with Haslett. It's always possible he may surprise me and dump Haslett after the season but I only see that as likely if the team does a end-of-the-season crash and burn.

Think Green Bay last season-an offensive juggernaut with serious defensive questions that first Kansas City and then the Giants exposed. Until then everybody talked a possible 19-0 run and ignored the deficiencies that eventually brought them down.

If the D goes south and costs us several of the remaining games Haslett is, IMO, a lame duck at best, however, a win like yesterday, even with, as you say, the second half Cowboys comeback attempt, does nothing to make his position more precarious-we won-and that will shore up Shanahan's position enough that Haslett is likely safe. If we were to beat the Giants? Finish, like, 9-7 even with or without a Wildcard posibility? You couldn't pry Haslett out with a crowbar.

Yep, if we want to be a Superbowl contender we need to get rid of Haslett. He's an anchor on this team.

Over the course of his career, his teams have been mediocre at best. I hope they move on from him.

However, I also hope that if they do, the transition is minor, whether they hire from outside the organization or promote from within. The last thing this team needs is another complete overhaul of the defense. Keep the 3-4, build on what's already here. Having the entire defense once again learning a completely new scheme would be a mistake in my opinion.

Given that the D has played better the last two weeks (2nd half against the Pukes aside), what would you have to see in order for you to feel comfortable retaining Haslett for next year?
I've seen a lot of comments like this. Why put the second half against the pukes aside? It's a perfect example of his miserable and pathetic coaching ability. We haven't had great defense for two weeks, we lucked out against the worst team in the league last week, who has given up on the season and was starting a weak rookie. Yesterday, we did good for one half, then in true Haslett fashion, almost lost a massive lead. He needs to go, he has had zero success here. Or anywhere else for that matter.

We had this game well in hand and then it was time for Haz to tell the defense, "Ok, our job is now to play soft zone and if we allow them to get too close for comfort, then so be it".

I want him gone.

My choice for DC may surprise you, but with Mr. Snyder's deep pockets...

Monte Kiffin.

We had this game well in hand and then it was time for Haz to tell the defense, "Ok, our job is now to play soft zone and if we allow them to get too close for comfort, then so be it".

I want him gone.

Monte Kiffin.

I think I would rather have Ron Rivera when/if he gets fired in Carolina.

I voted before reading the thread. For me we need to go deep into playoffs. In all honesty he is safe. Shanahan likes him and gave him a contract extension.

Give him a couple new safeties and resign Orakpo.

My vote is a joke. I don't like him, but lets see where we are at the end of the season and who is available. I'm not real big on firing a guy without a good backup plan, does that plan exist? I hope so.

I think if we make the playoffs and the D plays like it did for 6 of the last 8 quarters, you almost have to keep him, though that would not be my preference.

i voted fire him ,but if we hade rak ,carriker ,neild, and decent safetys i think are defense would be alot better ...

I doubt they fire him before the end of next season
The defense has been devoid of talent for a long time
Yeah they had a couple of seasons under the 4-3 that were in the top ten but when third and long and last minute drives always killed us

What we think don't mean squat. Reversing a Shanahan decision is extremely difficult for Shanahan.

See: Pet Squirrel

As to my meaningless vote, it's Buh-bye Jimmy. Regardless.

Monte Kiffin.
Nah.

Would rather us go young with an up-and-comer.

Enough of the retreads.

Besides, Kiffin is as old as a fossil.

You want someone older for DC. If you get a solid and older coach, you know that he is in it for the duration. Getting an "up and coming" DC is fine, but he could be a candidate for HC at another location and then you are back to square one again.

Find someone else who is good with 3-4. Haslett is as worthless as a corkscrew trying to open a beer bottle.

Does Ron run a 3-4 or a 4-3?

How about just promoting Morris?

He adopted the 3-4 in San Diego and had some solid defenses down there under him with that scheme. His first full season with the Chargers they ranked 12th, but his second and final season with them they ranked 1st. The following season they dropped to 16th without him. Now, I know there are many variables involved, but he was good enough in San Diego to get his own gig in Carolina.

It seems he doesn't make head coach material, but Carolina could give him more time. Not sure where I heard it, but there are grumblings that he is on his way out and that Cam could end up on the trading block in the off-season. Not sure how accurate that is, he has a huge cap number. Regardless, I would like to have Rivera as our DC if he does get fired.

As for Morris, I can't remember who it was, but somebody talked me out of it. Too many concerns about him and the 3-4.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.