• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Haslett: Poor Hire?

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
I know there are other threads where Haslett's seeming destruction of our defense has been mentioned, but I wanted to start a discussion about this. I can't help but think this was the worst decision that the Allen/Shanahan Front Office has made. I am not sure who else was out there for them to choose to run this defense, but it looks like Haslett is in over his head.

Last night, one big play against his defense and it looked like he was lost for the rest of the game. I would not put much weight into a single game, but more than half way through the season, we see a poor excuse for a defense that ranked 10th in the league last year with many of the same key players.

Is Haslett to blame?

Is he in over his head?

Mike, I can't figure the Haynesworth thing either. At this point, it has to be ego, right? I mean, aside from when he is lying on his fat ass, he actually causes a fair amount of disruption and uncomfortableness for the other team. So how is it that he is only in for 20 snaps or so a game? Don't get that.

El, good question. I don't know. Right now, thinking it was not a good hire, and I wonder if Shanahan regrets his decision. Haslett has been slow to adapt all year. I will say he is using Landry properly for the first time in forever which is nice to see. Aside from that though, I'm not loving Haslett.

oh..and why isnt haynesworth playing? hes doing well when he is in..he is not complaining..

so why is he on the sidelines?

Another issue I had as I sat in the stands last night since he got some pressure on Vick when they lined him up with Rak just outside of him, but then I saw the video this morning of him lying on the ground during the TD throw where Vick had a full 9 seconds to make the throw. The man has no real hunger. I would say he has no heart, but I have seen him display it. He has lost any hunger he may have had.

Not sure I blame that on Haslett. I guess the reason I started this thread is to gain some insight. How much of this is on Haslett's shoulders?

I have to question the fanhood of anyone who wants Haynesworth to play another down in a Redskins uniform after that display. Probably the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.

Early in the game, the analysts were commenting about how deep the Redskins' safeties were playing. We played right into the Eagles' game plan - they went deep early, and forced Haslett's hand, then Vick just ate us up all night mid-range, running AND passing. Anyone who is manipulated that easily doesn't deserve to be an NFL waterboy, in my opinion. I was a Haslett supporter, but unless he turns this thing around, AND FAST, I'm on the 'Fire Haslett' bandwagon for sure.

Come on Lanky. You telling me in the middle of getting your ass handed to you at Madden, or Fantasy Football, or whatever, you have never taken a break? Really? I'm not saying he should have done it, he should absolutely be castigated over it. But I am not a fan b/c I can forgive him? He took a play off.

Go watch RMoss sometime.

I have to question the fanhood of anyone who wants Haynesworth to play another down in a Redskins uniform after that display. Probably the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.

We get that.

With that said, how do you feel about Haslett? It is his leadership that has turned a perennial top 10 defense into one of the worst in the league. I keep thinking about Om's article early on about the turnover ratio, last night supported his theory. We didn't create any like they have in our victories, but this defense has a little more talent that last in the league.

Edit: I was writing this as you commented on Haslett.

Last edited:
EDIT:

Opps, wrong thread. Never mind, it is the right thread. :confused:

Well, on the good side there was one play AH got double teammed and knocked on his ass. He imeaditely got up and shoved the guard down on his backside like a little girl. I have to admit, i liked that, but it's lucky he didn't get a 15 yarder.

I just can't see letting AH go when he's the ONLY D linemen we got. Phillip Daniels is probably the next best and even though he's a beast, he can't play for ever and i wouldn't doubt if he retires after this year or next.

You guys are honestly giving this guy a pass after that display? He didn't just "take a break." Taking a break is half-assing it against the lineman for a little. He laid on the ****ing field and took a nap. He visibly quit on the play. He QUIT! I honestly can't believe what I'm reading.

For the record, I feel the same way about Carlos Rogers after he JOGGED on the 2nd or 3rd TD. At least Rogers' was benched for his BS.

Goaldeje said:
Come on Lanky. You telling me in the middle of getting your ass handed to you at Madden, or Fantasy Football, or whatever, you have never taken a break?

Well, I don't really play Madden and its also a video game, so I'm not even sure how that's comparable. Fantasy football, are you kidding me? In athletic events, I've half-assed it at times if we're getting slaughtered, but then again I don't get paid millions to put forth my best effort in beer-league softball.

EDIT: I can honestly say I usually don't half-ass it when playing sports...its just not something you do.

I'm not giving him a break, but i'm not about to let him go for nothing in return because of his attitude. We're in bad enough shape talent wise as is. I'm really tired of every year being a rebuilding year. How many rebuidling years are we going to have?

Last edited:
You guys are honestly giving this guy a pass after that display? He didn't just "take a break." Taking a break is half-assing it against the lineman for a little. He laid on the ****ing field and took a nap. He visibly quit on the play. He QUIT! I honestly can't believe what I'm reading.

Uh huh. We were getting CRUSHED. I am willing to give him a little benefit of the doubt. I'm sure he was discouraged. We all were. Again, listen to this part of what I'm saying: I am disappointed in him as well. He should have been giving maximum effort. but considering the circumstances, I don't see what good it does to cut him straight out.

For the record, I feel the same way about Carlos Rogers after he JOGGED on the 2nd or 3rd TD. At least Rogers' was benched for his BS.

Lanky, mi amigo, I think most of the team outside of Fletcher would have to benched or cut after last night.

Well, I don't really play Madden and its also a video game, so I'm not even sure how that's comparable. Fantasy football, are you kidding me? In athletic events, I've half-assed it at times if we're getting slaughtered, but then again I don't get paid millions to put forth my best effort in beer-league softball.

EDIT: I can honestly say I usually don't half-ass it when playing sports...its just not something you do.

You're right, bad analogy. It's been my experience in life that when I am engaged in a competitive situation (sales at work for me, mostly), there comes that point when I know I am going to lose. I don't lose many, but when I do, it hurts. That realization flashes through and I get discouraged. Particularly if I lose because of something my manager did, or the plant did or whatever else is beyond my control. I get discouraged.

You know what, don't tell my boss, but there are times I go home and take a nap instead of making more sales calls, which is what I am paid to do (though admittedly not millions of dollars, working on that). So yeah, I have a little sympathy for a guy who knows he is going to lose, and that loss is largely out of his hands, and he doesn't give 110% every play of that losing game.

I can live with that.

Haynesworth is a non-factor. Contracts, are for agents and team front offices, they have nothing to do with the games. Haynesworth, in reality, is a backup defensive tackle for the Washington Redskins. The team gets killed last night and we are going to pretend the play of a back up tackle is something significant? It's not. Yeah he laid on the ground... what other backups should we be obsessing over after getting creamed?

The issue I have is simple: The defense went from top 10 to dead last. The excuse of "they give up yards but not points" is now long dead. 30 to Houston. 30 to the Rams. 27 to the Colts. 37 to the Lions. 59 to the Eagles. We had a bye week to prepare for the Eagles and Mike Vick and the game plan, the energy, and the results were all pathetic.

We can complain about a over paid tackle but I'd rather look at a head coach that was drummed out of the NFL given a second chance that so far he's squandered miserably. The talent on the defense was good enough for top ten status and was the only consistent unit on this team for many years. In one season Haslett has made them the worst unit in the entire NFL.

There needs to be accountability on this team. For a backup d tackle and for coaches. Haynesworth went from one of the best players in the league to a backup that gets hardly any playing time. Haslett took the pride of the Redskins and flushed it down the toilet... when does he lose his position as a result?

Gee Des, is Haslett a Bush supporter or something?

:)

Good points all the way around. Haslett has not adapted well or made changes quickly. I am not convinced he needs to be fired, but am getting closer on that. At the very least, Shanahan needs to announce that he will have more of an active hand in the defense, to at least indicate to the fans that he is not satisfied with the results either.

Gee Des, is Haslett a Bush supporter or something?
I doubt it. Bush was big on national defense. :)

Good points all the way around. Haslett has not adapted well or made changes quickly. I am not convinced he needs to be fired, but am getting closer on that. At the very least, Shanahan needs to announce that he will have more of an active hand in the defense, to at least indicate to the fans that he is not satisfied with the results either.
To me it's all about accountability. We expected the offense to struggle because all of us understand the lack of talent on that side of the ball. No one expected last place on defense.

Well, I mostly agree with you Des, but dismissing Haynesworth as a "backup defensive tackle" is a bit short-sighted.

Gruden and Jaworski both knew the Eagles would come out throwing. Why not blitz Vick on the opening play? Oh, that's right. Haslett didn't know what everyone else did.

While Haslett is certainly more creative than Blache, he is STILL trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with this 3-4 defense. Rak may be a gifted athlete but he's STILL a 4-3 DE. Haynesworth is still a 4-3 DT. Why Haslett insists on staying with this mismatch of scheme and personnel I don't know, unless it's because Shanahan demanded it.

Moving Landry to SS and finding another player to position at FS is really the only smart call Haslett and Co. have made in the offseason.

With the talent on the roster, it made a lot more sense to run a 4-3 for 2010 and then start to replace the personnel with draft picks and free agents in 2011.

But to make the transition with few of the pieces in place seemed impulsive and a bit arrogant to me.

I read all summer how Haslett was confident that Andre Carter was going to be 'fine' at outside linebacker and how Haynesworth would adapt to and embrace the defense once he was on the field.

Well, it never really happened.

And as everyone knows a 3-4 is only as good as the NT. And I can't think of a team that is running a 3-4 that has a weaker tandem at NT than the Redskins with Kemoeatu and Anthony Bryant.

Bryant, 29, had been out of football for some time when he received a call from Washington. Kemoeatu, a 4-3 DT in Carolina the past 4 years, never regained his health to go back and be a NT like he was as a rookie in Baltimore.

So, the defense was compromised from within.

The turnovers masked a defense ranked #31 otherwise (well, #32 now I suppose!).

Haslett and Shanahan should have their heads examined for the poor use of personnel in 2010.

This team has a limited amount of overall talent, but what talent IS HERE has not been used very well.

Gruden and Jaworski both knew the Eagles would come out throwing. Why not blitz Vick on the opening play? Oh, that's right. Haslett didn't know what everyone else did.

While Haslett is certainly more creative than Blache, he is STILL trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with this 3-4 defense. Rak may be a gifted athlete but he's STILL a 4-3 DE. Haynesworth is still a 4-3 DT. Why Haslett insists on staying with this mismatch of scheme and personnel I don't know, unless it's because Shanahan demanded it.

This is just an example of poor leadership. A leader, especially a coach, is expected to put his players in the best position to succeed. Last year we had Carter succeeding up front along with a happy Haynesworth. Orakpo was at OLB but was lining up with his hand in the dirt on passing downs.

That's all gone. Haynesworth and Carter (two strengths last year) are now back up players that have contributed almost nothing. Our DLine is pathetic in general. Orakpo is still doing his thing. We've generated more turnovers certainly but at what cost? We are ranked 31st against the pass and 25th against the run. Dead last overall.

... and yet the experiment continues unabated. The stones it must take to answer media questions and play it off like it's no big deal. The fall of the defense is 100% coaching because the players have proven what they can do in previous seasons with this team.

Cooley on the radio today sounded astonished talking about the defense and then finally just said "I don't feel comfortable talking about the defense". Imagine the offensive unit sitting there scoring TD's and watching the defense give up HUGE play after huge play eventually resulting in 59 points. This isn't the first time either: the skins have lost every game in which they've scored over 20 points. All of them.

Thinking back to earlier in the year, OM wrote a piece on Haslett and shows his record as DC. If you look back at the numbers it doesn't create a warm fuzzy feeling.

Remember reading Haslett does not have a good track record coaching against Vick, which is an understatement after last night.

Questions.... questions..... questions.....

Going back to when Haslett was hired, people questioned his running record as a DC, and weather it was a good hire, and now here we are tonight nine games into the season.

I'm a simple man, with far less knowledge then others here when it comes to football. Looking at his past record, and the play of our D to date, it's evident to me it was one of the worst hires in the history of the franchise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.