• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Grossman vs. Mcnabb: The Stats

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Thought it would be interesting to take a look at these two side by side. I think we'd all agree, looking at both their bodies of work, it's a no-brainer who the more accomplished QB is.

Here's what the career numbers say:

Games Played
Grossman: 38
Mcnabb: 161

Record
Grossman: 19-12
Mcnabb: 92-49

Completion %
Grossman: 54%
Mcnabb: 58.9%

TD %
Grossman: 3.4%
Mcnabb: 4.4%

INT %
Grossman: 3.7%
Mcnabb: 2.2%

Yards/Attempt
Grossman: 6.4
Mcnabb: 6.9

Sack %
Grossman: 5.69%
Mcnabb: 7.02%

Passer Rating
Grossman: 69.6
Mcnabb: 85.7

At a glance, the only thing Grossman does statistically better than Mcnabb is avoid the sack. Mcnabb is his dramatic superior nearly across the board otherwise. One thing to note about Grossman, however, is that early in his career, he played at a much higher level. His performance steadily declined significantly during his time in Chicago. Hard to know how to explain that.

And the other obvious question - why play him now? Is it to evaluate whether a rehabilitated Grossman can still lead an NFL club? Is it simply because Shanahan can't bear to watch another ineffective Mcnabb performance and Grossman is a placeholder? Or is it something else.

Bottom line - even with no previous bias, nearly impossible to argue Grossman is a better QB or gives you a better chance from a statistical POV.

Who cares about their SAT's?

This is football Boone!

Get with it!:nana:

And the other obvious question - why play him now? Is it to evaluate whether a rehabilitated Grossman can still lead an NFL club? Is it simply because Shanahan can't bear to watch another ineffective Mcnabb performance and Grossman is a placeholder? Or is it something else.

Bottom line - even with no previous bias, nearly impossible to argue Grossman is a better QB or gives you a better chance from a statistical POV.

Well done, John!

Or is it something else? THAT'S what I'm thinking. I STILL think he wants to protect McNabb from getting hurt so he can trade him. I would be absolutely shocked if we cut him after the season. Seems like the contract extension was designed to prevent him from simply walking away so why cut him?

As for your bottom line, I have come to the conclusion that Mike Shanahan is either a mad genius or simply mad. As Oscar Levant once said, "There's a fine line between genius and insanity."

Who cares about their SAT's?

This is football Boone!

Get with it!:nana:

Touche :)

It's the SATs of those of us who continue to watch that we should investigate...

They just said, "Here comes the new QB of the Washington Redskins, Rex Grossman".

I just threw up in my mouth.

I hear Ringling Brothers is in Dallas today.....televised even...on Fox Sports!

At a glance, the only thing Grossman does statistically better than Mcnabb is avoid the sack. Mcnabb is his dramatic superior nearly across the board otherwise. One thing to note about Grossman, however, is that early in his career, he played at a much higher level. His performance steadily declined significantly during his time in Chicago. Hard to know how to explain that.

In 2006 when Grossman got the majority of his starts (all 16 games for the Bears), they stuck to the run no matter what (5th overall in attempts, 15th overall rushing attack). This kept defenses honest, and they couldn't blitz as much. Also, the Bears OL from 2005-2007 or 2008 was one of the more dominant units in football. Their struggles this year are a recent thing.

Stats don't tell the entire story.

Based strictly on passer rating by the contorted formula that is used Rich Gannon is supposedly a 'better' quarterback than John Elway and Brett Favre.

When you go back and look at the wins the Redskins have had this season the truth that emerges is that in most cases the DEFENSE contributed some or most of the points that resulted in victory.

Against Dallas in the opener, DeAngelo Hall outscored McNabb and the offense 7-6.

In the Chicago game, McNabb and the offense put up 10 points while Hall scored 7 on the pick six.

So, in those early games the defense when healthy was getting the turnovers that allowed Washingto to be in those games and covered up the almost total lack of continuity and productivity on the other side of the ball.

if Grossman against Dallas got the number of turnovers the defense got against the Bears in Chicago no doubt the outcome would have been different.

When you go back and subtract out the points scored by the defense OR set up directly by the defense in plus territory, you see a picture where the Redskins offense was only scoring 7-13 points a game.

That would put them at the bottom of the league standings. Lower than what Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Bills have been able to do.

We could have had Fitzpatrick for nothing as a street free agent :)

Grossman threw 2 picks that resulted in touchdowns. there is a stat similar to favre. and maybe if he doesnt do that we win also.

I'm with Mike...everyone is praising Rex, and while he did get us to 30 points for the first time this season, his turnovers were also extremely costly. And also simply head-scratching...which is kind of typical for Grossman in his career.

Grossman threw 2 picks that resulted in touchdowns. there is a stat similar to favre. and maybe if he doesnt do that we win also.
I'm with Mike...everyone is praising Rex, and while he did get us to 30 points for the first time this season, his turnovers were also extremely costly. And also simply head-scratching...which is kind of typical for Grossman in his career.

I think he deserves the praise - you have to view the performance in the context of a first start. I'm also not sure the interception involving Sellers was his fault, and the game-ender he really had no choice but to try and make something happen.

Not a perfect performance, but I think he deserves some credit.

That's absolutely fair. Not sure I believe the 2nd paragraph, as I believe the Cowboys are playing with much more desire for Garrett than they ever did for Phillips, even in Week 1. But that's arguable.

Only other point I'd make is that you because you've always been stupid, doesn't mean you are implicitly incapable of learning from your mistakes.

We're going to get the chance to see if this is the same old flawed headcase in Grossman, or a better QB who is going to apply what he learned from implosion #1. I really don't have an opinion on which it will be.

ok, i can agree with you to a point but let me make a comparison.

every time you see me i do something stupid. for years you have known me and i do the same stupid thing over and over. now just beceause you dont see me for a few years does that mean the slate is completely wiped clean even when i do the same stupid thing again the very first time you see me?

the cowbums dont have a great secondary at all. they have an incredible pass rush but their CBs leave something to be desired. and yes he did better than mcnabb but mcnabb was facing a team in week 1, they were fresh, hyped up to play their rivals on national television and came out fighting hard. im not so sure they have the same fire they did that opening night.

On the other hand you saw a Cowpie team that played with more fire, was better prepared and didnt shoot themselves in the feet?

I see your point Mike but on that I think you are wrong, I think the cowpies now are a far more dangerous team than they were under Bums kid.

I do completely agree about Rex, im not sold on him and wont be until he plays an entire game without any idiocy.

gameplan how? They would have had way less film on us and we had a bunch of new guys playing from the year before. But I will say that if what has been said was true and we havent been showing much of the playbook under mcrapp, then that could be valid as we used several new plays etc etc. who knows either way our defence sucked, Grossman sucked less than Mcrapp but we still lost to the MF cowpies.

I think we were more fired up in the first game as well, it would have been before the frustration set in regarding being behind the 8 ball every game lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.