• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Goodell Speaks...

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
cops1.gif

Dear NFL Fan,

When I wrote to you last on behalf of the NFL, we promised you that we would work tirelessly to find a collectively bargained solution to our differences with the players' union. Subsequent to that letter to you, we agreed that the fastest way to a fair agreement was for everyone to work together through a mediation process. For the last three weeks I have personally attended every session of mediation, which is a process our clubs sincerely believe in.

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that earlier today the players' union walked away from mediation and collective bargaining and has initiated litigation against the clubs. In an effort to get a fair agreement now, our clubs offered a deal today that was, among other things, designed to have no adverse financial impact on veteran players in the early years, and would have met the players’ financial demands in the latter years of the agreement.

The proposal we made included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee a reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

It was a deal that offered compromise, and would have ensured the well-being of our players and guaranteed the long-term future for the fans of the great game we all love so much. It was a deal where everyone would prosper.

We remain committed to collective bargaining and the federal mediation process until an agreement is reached, and call on the union to return to negotiations immediately. NFL players, clubs, and fans want an agreement. The only place it can be reached is at the bargaining table.

While we are disappointed with the union's actions, we remain steadfastly committed to reaching an agreement that serves the best interest of NFL players, clubs and fans, and thank you for your continued support of our League. First and foremost it is your passion for the game that drives us all, and we will not lose sight of this as we continue to work for a deal that works for everyone.

Yours,
Roger Goodell

I take no pleasure in being right. This was inevitable, and likely to get uglier in the near future. You don't walk away unless you know the only option you have is to battle it out in the courts.

After their strike, I am unlikely to ever return to watching baseball. Just this season I have watched my first hockey game since before their strike. I just can't see myself not watching football anymore but if there is no NFL season next year, it will take a long time to get over it.

After looking at PFT and what the owners offered specifically, I hope the players lose...

everything.

I mean it.

Who wouldn't want to have those kind of benefits for ANY job?

Two sides, BB. The offer looks good, but it is Goodell's job to put the best possible spin on his side, which he has done well. The owners would be wise to keep quiet and let him do the talking from now on. The bottom line is the owners were trying to take away $1B to start with, and were unwilling to open their books to prove financial hardship. Seems to me their cries of hardship ian age of unprecedented growth and success is a bit disingenuous, particularly if they are unwilling to prove it.

We would all like those benefits, sure. But we also would hate to have our salary cut during a time when our respective companies were growing and dominating the industry. And if we could collectively bargain our position, good on us.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

That's all well and good Goal. But I also have to point out that this isn't marriage. NFL owners are OWNERS. They OWN the business. Players are employees, not equal partners. The fact that players would like to be equal partners is irrelevant. Of course they will argue that, without their talents, the NFL couldn't thrive or even exist. And that is true. Without heart surgeons, bypass surgery couldn't occur - but that doesn't give those physicians the right to determine how hospitals operate their businesses.

It looks to me, at least at surface glance, that the owners came a long way towards responding to many of the players requests here and were still rebuffed.

That's all I'm saying, Boone. I'm not arguing that they should be on equal footing with the owners. Only that things may not be as they first appear. On the surface, the owners proposal does look good, but that's because it is Goodell's job to make them look good. And he did his job well in this case.

Well - you are correct that the owners are much more ideally suited to 'frame' the discussion and to put their overall spin on things as they evolve. But you can bet we'll be hearing plenty of the players perspective in coming days.

Pointing fingers doesn't put games on the schedule.

Is there going to be football or not? That's the only question I want answered.

If the answer is 'no', well, then the NFL, players and owners, better hope I don't get used to life without them. And that's all I have to say about that.

Pointing fingers doesn't put games on the schedule.

Is there going to be football or not? That's the only question I want answered.

If the answer is 'no', well, then the NFL, players and owners, better hope I don't get used to life without them. And that's all I have to say about that.

+1

Total agreement, Henry. I'm being selfish I guess but I want football no matter who has to give up what or if it's seen as fair or equitable to whoever. I'm not really pleased with either side right at the moment but find the "blame-flingfing" non-productive and essentially pointless.

Give me a break guys :)

Not much point in having a discussion forum if all we care about is watching games.

Let the finger-pointing begin!!!!!!!!

I have a question for you more savvy types. Now that the union has de-certified, once their is a collective bargaining agreement in place, do these unions re-certify? It all seems like a crock of **** to me.

Don't know, but that's a great question. You know with 'normal' unions, there is a whole process during which a certain portion of the potential union members have to vote in favor of unionization - and there are mandatory waiting periods as part of that. I guess the NFL is a bit of a unique situation though, since it's not exactly an open question as to whether players would *want* a union or not, it's a foregone conclusion.

The interesting thing would be, if this lockout were to go on for more than a year, and ultimately many players were to blame their own union reps for that lockout, whether the players might decide that having a players union wasn't in their best interests long term?

The interesting thing would be, if this lockout were to go on for more than a year, and ultimately many players were to blame their own union reps for that lockout, whether the players might decide that having a players union wasn't in their best interests long term?

I'm going to be somewhat of a contrarian and swim aginst the ideological tide and say I think that would be a tactical error. Frankly, I do not trust the owners enough to give them carte blanche. The Dan Snyders and Jerry Jones and a few others would be like foxes in the henhouse. Would they put the players in as much of a disadvantageous position as possible for as long a term as possible? My instincts say yes. The way the NFLPA handled the situation wasn't really very well done-but not having some type of organized way to thwart a collusion of NFL owners is absolutely mandatory in my view.

Gordon Gecko is too much a "hero figure" in our culture.

****'em.

Bring back the replacement players. They'd appreciate just having a goddamn job.

These players CHOSE their profession. Most would never make a fraction of what they do now, in the real world. Stop ****in' whining, and be glad you can make millions playing a GAME. Use your ****in' brains. Save and invest your money. Plan ahead for life after football, and move along. It's absurd for employees to determine how much their employers can make. Don't like it? Find another job.

The owners will be rich, with or without football. Can't change that.

I take no pleasure in being right. This was inevitable, and likely to get uglier in the near future. You don't walk away unless you know the only option you have is to battle it out in the courts.

there's a lot of talk that was Demerius Smith's plan fro Day 1.

****'em.

Bring back the replacement players. They'd appreciate just having a goddamn job.

These players CHOSE their profession. Most would never make a fraction of what they do now, in the real world. Stop ****in' whining, and be glad you can make millions playing a GAME. Use your ****in' brains. Save and invest your money. Plan ahead for life after football, and move along. It's absurd for employees to determine how much their employers can make. Don't like it? Find another job.

The owners will be rich, with or without football. Can't change that.

leaning toward your pov Ax.

Slightly surprised no poll to see whose siding with the owners, players or overall isn't picking sides just get a deal done.

Two sides, BB. The offer looks good, but it is Goodell's job to put the best possible spin on his side, which he has done well. The owners would be wise to keep quiet and let him do the talking from now on. The bottom line is the owners were trying to take away $1B to start with, and were unwilling to open their books to prove financial hardship. Seems to me their cries of hardship ian age of unprecedented growth and success is a bit disingenuous, particularly if they are unwilling to prove it.

We would all like those benefits, sure. But we also would hate to have our salary cut during a time when our respective companies were growing and dominating the industry. And if we could collectively bargain our position, good on us.

1) Why should ownership opens its books to employees.....you know of any private companies where that happens?

2) Hardship? No. Revenues have leveled off the last two years.

You know my position: let the underpaid Peyton Mannings and Tom Brady's file lawsuits. And let owners stop pool funding that supports the players. Also, force the Unions to accept more of the risk (e.g., stadia) if they want more of the gross revenues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.