• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Good offense begats good defense begats good offense...

Lanky Livingston

This concept has been talked about in other threads to an extent, but I thought it deserves its own thread. Many talk about how the Redskins were bad because of the ineptitude of the offense, despite top 10 defenses under Williams and Blache. That the defenses were actually better than the stats, but could not hold leads or win games because the offense consistently had 3 and outs, or gave the ball away in their own half. Well then, shouldn't the opposite be true? Shouldn't great defenses give credit to great offenses?

I'll repost the stats from the other thread about New England and Green Bay:

New England has been top 10 in points and yards every season since 2004 except 2006 when they were 11th in yards. Green Bay has had a top 10 offense in points & yards every year except 2005 and 2006, when Green started to struggle with injuries.

Football is a team sport - no matter how good an offense is, the defense has to be good for the team to win it all and vice versa. This goes back to the team-building concept - it all boils down to good drafting and good financial decisions. This team has been so mismanaged since theDanny took over, there is no hope for a competitive team unless someone starts from scratch, which is exactly what Shanahan and Allen are doing. So yes, this team is going to struggle offensively AND defensively until all the pieces are put into place.

Could they have maintained a decent defense staying in a 4-3? Maybe, but a complete rebuild was still necessary because the DLine had been ignored for so long (until 2009), just as the OL had been. Bottom line is that we are arguing back and forth about scheme when its pretty irrelevant. The teams that succeed in their switch are teams that have lots of depth because they've built their squads the right way. The future is bright in DC no matter WHAT defense they run, as things are now starting to be built the RIGHT way.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Many talk about how the Redskins top 10 defense under Williams and Blache were bad because of the ineptitude of the offense."

Who suggested the defense was bad because of the offense?

I believe the suggestion that was made was that there was a break down of a solid defensive unit at the end of games because they were tired since the offense was unable to run the clock out with a 4th quarter lead.

Even the best defense in the land can only do so much after 3 and out after 3 and out. You look at most of the best defenses that have bad offenses they can usually at least run the ball.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

"Many talk about how the Redskins top 10 defense under Williams and Blache were bad because of the ineptitude of the offense."

Who suggested the defense was bad because of the offense?

I believe the suggestion that was made was that there was a break down of a solid defensive unit at the end of games because they were tired since the offense was unable to run the clock out with a 4th quarter lead.

I typed too fast and worded that incorrectly, I meant many suggested the defenses couldn't hold leads because of the offensive ineptitude.

I typed too fast and worded that incorrectly, I meant many suggested the defenses couldn't hold leads because of the offensive ineptitude.

OK, I will make that claim. I know better than to place all the blame on the offense, but their inability to run the clock out cost us many games going back to Gibbs' return.

Then again, if the offense could have run out the clock, we would probably still have Zorn as the HC. :laugh:

if a team has a lot of 4 and outs on offence, the defence is on the field more, this would seem to be obvious, if a defence is always on the field, they are going to have worse stats than if a team controls the ball.

Okay, so a team with a terrible offense would make their defense look artificially bad.

So my question is (and the point of the thread): would the natural conclusion be that a team that has a stellar offense would artificially look good on defense, right?

not necessarily, some teams score fast and then their defence is on the field a lot anyway, the only teams that the offence really makes a defence better are the teams that control TOP and run the ball a lot or have a very good short passing game. TOP is the king for this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.