• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Giants Week - Studs, Duds, and Hat Tips

Canadian Hog

2019 BGO Ballers Champ
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
On a night where the Washington Commanders had a perfect opportunity to firmly entrench themselves in a playoff spot, Lucy once again pulled the football away from Charlie Brown. Sunday was a movie we have watched 1000 times over as fans of the Burgundy and Gold. We checked off all the boxes for how to lose a football game in the biggest of moments - lose the battle along the line of scrimmage, not convert for touchdowns in the red zone, commit turnovers, poor coaching decisions, give up defensive scores to the opposition, and commit back breaking penalties. Forget the refs, Sunday night was all about what the Commanders failed to do. Let's get right to this week's Studs, Duds, and Hat Tips.

Studs:

1. Jahan Dotson: 4 catches for 105 yards, to go along with another touchdown reception was a great stat line for the rookie WR on the national primetime stage. Those around the country who were largely unfamiliar with Dotson to this point in the season undoubtedly would have walked away being pretty impressed with the kid's skills. He showed fantastic hands and concentration on a beautiful deep ball catch in the 4th quarter, that will surely go down as one of the most exciting offensive plays by the Commanders during the 2022 season.

2. Tress Way: All-Pro. He will arguably go down as maybe the best punter in Washington history that any of us have been able to witness playing.

Duds:

1. Defensive Line: in the process of going 6-1-1 in our previous 8 games, the Commanders relied on a flat out dominant defensive front led by the likes of Montez Sweat, Jon Allen, and Daron Payne. On Sunday night, the big three were largely invisible for large stretches of the game. Saquon Barkley was able to achieve a 4.8 yard per carry average on the evening, we put up a donut on the sack stat sheet, and we got absolutely bullied on the Giants' final drive of the game with Barkley ripping off 3 ten-plus yard gains to help set up another Giants field goal and extend their lead to 8 points with just under two minutes to play.

2. Offensive Line: they say you win December football games along the line of scrimmage and the Giants proved that on Sunday night. Our offensive line had a very difficult time pass blocking, Heinicke went down for three sacks on the evening, and Kayvon Thibodeaux had his rookie coming out party against who else...our Commanders. If it wasn't already cemented, last night's game proved that our offensive line is going to need some serious attention in the upcoming draft.

3. Scott Turner: the Giants managed to score only 20 points in two straight games against us this season and walked away undefeated. Unreal. Scott Turner has to do better, he has to. Red zone struggles also continued again this week vs. New York and it hurt us dearly. I am not sure this man can continue to be employed next year.

4. Ron Rivera: Daboll played to win last night. You knew the writing was on the wall when Rivera elected to punt from the New York 34 yard line for a net gain of 4 yards and Brian Daboll chose to go for it on 4th and 9 from virtually the same spot on the field and gain a first down that ultimately led to a touchdown for New York. Rivera has done a great job of getting his players to consistently claw out of in-season holes. Unfortunately, he didn't have his team ready to perform in the most critical of moments last night, with a playoff path right out in front of them. The Commanders will now have to have a monumental bounce back against San Francisco in order to restore any legitimate belief that they can qualify for the post season. If the last three weeks get ugly, I am not sure Rivera survives in the offseason.

5. Referees: let's get one thing straight - Sunday night's poor performance falls squarely on the shoulders of the Washington Commanders' coaches and players. On a night where we struggled though, the refs certainly did us no favours on numerous occasions. The non-PI call on the final throw of the game was suspect, as were a few other calls. All in all though, when you aren't sharp and crisp as a football team in basically a do or die game, it's hard to overcome calls that go against you.

Hat Tips:

1. Brian Robinson: it has been a joy watching this kid come back from the horrible off-field incident he was involved in a short time ago. On Sunday night, he had 12 carries for 89 yards and a 7.4 yard per carry average. His physicality was on display and he certainly has an "old school player" feel about him when he carries the football.

That's it for this week. Do you agree? Disagree? Who did we miss?

Is the season essentially over for the Commanders? Or with our backs completely against the wall, are we going to do the unthinkable and defeat the 49ers, Browns, and Cowboys to hold onto a playoff spot?

Last edited:
Logan Thomas is an epic dud. Veteran player who makes soul-crushing mental errors on critical downs, is a pathetic blocker, and now drops easy catches. More John Bates, less Logan Thomas please.

Rivera last night punting on the first possession was awful. He set the tempo for playing to not lose instead of playing to win. But then in the 3rd quarter decides to go for 2 after the TD? When you do that and miss, you are always chasing that point the rest of the game. That should have been an easy call to kick. Instead there was the penalty and then the miss by Slye. This was over coaching on his part. Just take the kick and get back to playing defense. But instead the decision, the score called back by the penalty, and then the missed kick played right into the odd night it was. I really think coaches need to be consistent with their game management. That’s part of having a consistent identity and coaches are the ones that need to bring stability when things are getting out of hand. If you want to go into the game going for it and being aggressive, that’s fine. If you want to be ultra conservative and punting from FG range that’s fine too if you are consistent. But Rivera treats each one of those decisions independently and it’s why we are always left scratching our heads at his decisions. And I think the players are too, which is a bigger problem than us as fans whining about it.

Last edited:
On a night where the Washington Commanders has a perfect opportunity to firmly entrench themselves in a playoff spot, Lucy once again pulled the football away from Charlie Brown. Sunday was a movie we have watched 1000 times over as fans of the Burgundy and Gold. We checked off all the boxes for how to lose a football game in the biggest of moments - lose the battle along the line of scrimmage, not convert for touchdowns in the red zone, commit turnovers, poor coaching decisions, give up defensive scores to the opposition, and commit back breaking penalties. Forget the refs, Sunday night was all about what the Commanders failed to do. Let's get right to this week's Studs, Duds, and Hat Tips.

Studs:

1. Jahan Dotson: 4 catches for 105 yards, to go along with another touchdown reception was a great stat line for the rookie WR on the national primetime stage. Those around the country who were largely unfamiliar with Dotson to this point in the season undoubtedly would have walked away being pretty impressed with the kid's skills. He showed fantastic hands and concentration on a beautiful deep ball catch in the 4th quarter, that will surely go down as one of the most exciting offensive plays by the Commanders during the 2022 season.

2. Tress Way: All-Pro. He will arguably go down as maybe the best punter in Washington history that any of us have been able to witness playing.

Duds:

1. Defensive Line: in the process of going 6-1-1 in our previous 8 games, the Commanders relied on a flat out dominant defensive front led by the likes of Montez Sweat, Jon Allen, and Daron Payne. On Sunday night, the big three were largely invisible for large stretches of the game. Saquon Barkley was able to achieve a 4.8 yard per carry average on the evening, we put up a donut on the sack stat sheet, and we got absolutely bullied on the Giants' final drive of the game with Barkley ripping off 3 ten-plus yard gains to help set up another Giants field goal and extend their lead to 8 points with just under two minutes to play.

2. Offensive Line: they say you win December football games along the line of scrimmage and the Giants proved that on Sunday night. Our offensive line had a very difficult time pass blocking, Heinicke went down for three sacks on the evening, and Kayvon Thibodeaux had his rookie coming out party against who else...our Commanders. If it wasn't already cemented, last night's game proved that our offensive line is going to need some serious attention in the upcoming draft.

3. Scott Turner: the Giants managed to score only 20 points in two straight games against us this season and walked away undefeated. Unreal. Scott Turner has to do better, he has to. Red zone struggles also continued again this week vs. New York and it hurt us dearly. I am not sure this man can continue to be employed next year.

4. Ron Rivera: Daboll played to win last night. You knew the writing was on the wall when Rivera elected to punt from the New York 34 yard line for a net gain of 4 yards and Brian Daboll chose to go for it on 4th and 9 from virtually the same spot on the field and gain a first down that ultimately led to a touchdown for New York. Rivera has done a great job of getting his players to consistently claw out of in-season holes. Unfortunately, he didn't have his team ready to perform in the most critical of moments last night, with a playoff path right out in front of them. The Commanders will now have to have a monumental bounce back against San Francisco in order to restore any legitimate belief that they can qualify for the post season. If the last three weeks get ugly, I am not sure Rivera survives in the offseason.

5. Referees: let's get one thing straight - Sunday night's poor performance falls squarely on the shoulders of the Washington Commanders' coaches and players. On a night where we struggled though, the refs certainly did us no favours on numerous occasions. The non-PI call on the final throw of the game was suspect, as were a few other calls. All in all though, when you aren't sharp and crisp as a football team in basically a do or die game, it's hard to overcome calls that go against you.

Hat Tips:

1. Brian Robinson: it has been a joy watching this kid come back from the horrible off-field incident he was involved in a short time ago. On Sunday night, he had 12 carries for 89 yards and a 7.4 yard per carry average. His physicality was on display and he certainly has an "old school player" feel about him when he carries the football.

That's it for this week. Do you agree? Disagree? Who did we miss?

Is the season essentially over for the Commanders? Or with our backs completely against the wall, are we going to do the unthinkable and defeat the 49ers, Browns, and Cowboys to hold onto a playoff spot?

My concise answer to your ending question is- no way, Jose.

Logan Thomas is an epic dud. Veteran player who makes soul-crushing mental errors on critical downs, is a pathetic blocker, and now drops easy catches. More John Bates, less Logan Thomas please.

Thomas is just not the same player post injury. I don’t know if the difference is mental or physical but he looks to be shell of his former self.

I had high hopes for the TE group going into the season. The position potential never met my expectations. I never would have expected that the loss of Armani Rodgers would scuttle the receiving hopes of the group.

I don't think we need to win out - do we? I think 2 more wins might get us there. I'm not predicting we will do that much facing that competition coming off a loss like last night's. But it is possible.

Thomas is just not the same player post injury. I don’t know if the difference is mental or physical but he looks to be shell of his former self.

I had high hopes for the TE group going into the season. The position potential never met my expectations. I never would have expected that the loss of Armani Rodgers would scuttle the receiving hopes of the group.

I would not criticise him being less of a force in terms of physical ability. But he's making multiple unforced mental errors. He should be benched. Unacceptable.

I don't think we need to win out - do we? I think 2 more wins might get us there. I'm not predicting we will do that much facing that competition coming off a loss like last night's. But it is possible.
I just tried the playoff scenario and it is pretty much win out.

here are the remaining schedules:
WAS - SF, CLE, DAL
NYG - MIN, IND, PHI
DET - CAR, CHI, GB
SEA - KC, NYJ, LAR

The Giants are in the best spot as of now. The Lions have the easiest schedule: Seattle is in the worst spot based on their schedule. Washington to get in with only 2 wins would require the Giants to lose to Indy, or the Lions to lose to an inferior team. It can happen, but it’s a tougher road now with very little margin for error.

I felt like Robinson had a Stud performance. Not his fault he wasn't used more or that the officials erased his TD for a call that had no impact on the play.

I, too, would add Logan Thomas to the Duds list. I hate to do it because he used to be Mr. Dependable but that dropped pass and the play he didn't know then got a penalty on were just too much.

I have to give Canadian Hog mad props for taking the time to put his thoughts into this thread. I honestly am so mad I want to break things.

I am right there with you, Boone.

I am a pretty loyal BGO Chat guy and I had to step out last night after the 4th and 9 drive that led to a TD. I knew where that game was going from that point forward and I was afraid that I was just going to start getting too negative.

It's so frustrating when a team that looks like it is about to turn a corner just reverts to its old ways ways so easily.

I would not criticise him being less of a force in terms of physical ability. But he's making multiple unforced mental errors. He should be benched. Unacceptable.
On that illegal motion penalty, I wondered how much scheme played into that. When he motioned over, he had to move further away from the line to get behind the upback. When he comes back, he has to move back closer to the line in order to block. Does he anticipate that because he is so far away and makes a mental error? I honestly don't know. Not an excuse for him, but wondering how that plays into it.

I just tried the playoff scenario and it is pretty much win out.

here are the remaining schedules:
WAS - SF, CLE, DAL
NYG - MIN, IND, PHI
DET - CAR, CHI, GB
SEA - KC, NYJ, LAR

The Giants are in the best spot as of now. The Lions have the easiest schedule: Seattle is in the worst spot based on their schedule. Washington to get in with only 2 wins would require the Giants to lose to Indy, or the Lions to lose to an inferior team. It can happen, but it’s a tougher road now with very little margin for error.

Yeah, it is a pretty tough road ahead at this point. If we get a very improbable win in San Francisco, I suppose everything is back on the table. However, the problem is we have another divisional game against a pretty tough Dallas team.

When has this team ever made the playoffs in the last 30 years with a losing record in the NFC East? It always comes down to divisional play and we are currently sitting at 1-3-1 in the NFC East.

We made our own bed in 2022 by playing the role of the weak sister in the East yet again.

The more ad more I think about it, there has to be a big dud for all the coaching staff. Yes, bad decisions in game....punting on the 34...going away from Robinson in the 2nd half (something like 4 carries?)...etc. But when I sit back and realize they had two weeks to prepare for this game and that's what we got? Where is the scheming that puts you in position to succeed? Where were the surprises? The fleaflicker?

We'll see where we end up, but it's likely another season under Rivera where we are just under .500. With new owners likely coming in the Spring, he'll be here next year. If he is, there has to be some changes on the coaching staff.

Giants offense scored 13 points, and yet we lost, this was a make or break game and did we poo the bed, again on national tv. We cannot be competitive if we can't score more points, the defense has to be getting deflated by now.

I would also dud Del Rio for waiting till halftime to go to man to man.

Logan looked lost out there too. We were expecting more from our tight ends and to see such little production is really baffling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.