• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Gawker: There are now 5 Fast Food Places for every Grocery Store

I don't think obesity in this country has nearly as much to do with grocery store/to fast food store as you might think. I think it's more parents working 9-10 hour days to make ends meet, ridiculous commutes, and having to get the kids to practice in the evenings. Who has time to cook a nice meal every night? Seriously. Anyone?

Not to bag on you hog, but you can cook a "nice meal" in under 20 minutes. :)

There's ways around that also - make a bunch of food on Sunday, then you have it all week. For example, I like to grill a bunch of chicken for the week and then eat it in my lunches and dinners for the week.

Yeah, because when you've busted your ass all week, and finally get two days to stop, the first thing you want to do (well, after you get done cutting grass and cleaning the house) is make a week's worth of meals.

I'm sorry, but I do take some level of exception to the idea that people are fat because they're lazy. Sure, that's true in some cases, maybe even most. But not all. Not by a longshot.

well aint you just the smart one!

Haha, I'm busy too. I hate making lunches in the morning, and cooking at night. I hate doing dishes. Throw a bunch of chicken breasts on the grill reduces a lot of things - time cooking and also dishes! Anyway, it was just a helpful suggestion. :)

Yeah, because when you've busted your ass all week, and finally get two days to stop, the first thing you want to do (well, after you get done cutting grass and cleaning the house) is make a week's worth of meals.

I'm sorry, but I do take some level of exception to the idea that people are fat because they're lazy. Sure, that's true in some cases, maybe even most. But not all. Not by a longshot.

I was not suggesting people are fat because they are lazy, although that is probably a significant contributor in a lot of situations. I am suggesting that its a LOT easier to just grab some Micky D's instead of preparing a healthy, thought out meal, simply because Mickey D's is everywhere, whereas grocery stores aren't (as pointed out in the article).

I also believe cooking is not the daunting task you are making it out to be. There are lots of ways to solve the problem - a crock pot is another one. Throw a roast and some vegetables in the crock pot before you leave in the morning on low. Bam, fully cooked, awesome dinner when you get home with little to no effort.

Let me be clear - I wasn't trying to offend anyone with this article. Clearly fast food is terrible for us, although they are getting better with healthy choices on the menus and what not - this is unarguable fact. It is also much more readily available than food at the grocery store, which is also fact. Just throwing it out there, that this may be why we as a society are fat, with obesity rates that increase almost daily!

I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of fast food places is due to demand, rather than people using them because they are there. As people have said, it is hard to discipline yourself to make a meal after working all day. I personally find it very difficult at times, although I (or Goaldeje) make dinner almost every night and pack a lunch every day. One of my main struggles is that I come home starving after eating lunch in just a few minutes. Normally, I like healthy foods, but I feel like snacking on whatever I can find.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.