• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Game Day - 2020 Week 2 - Washington @ Arizona

Who wins this thing?

• Winning is our new reality!

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Last week was a dream, losing is who we are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I’m not confident we win this one, but like the improvements in 2020 so far

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
Talk about the game here - before, during, and after. Hail!

Another key will be some long drives offensively for us. All our scoring drives came off short fields last week. We took advantage of what our defense gave us now we need to get some long drives ourselves

One down and fifteen to go. Just play it one game at a time!

If everything continues as is we will be still be in first

I'd like to reinstate my initial comment from last week. Team is playing like garbage. And now Scherff is likely gone for the season. Glorious.

This team is pretty much right where we thought they would be. 2nd year QB after starting 7 games last year in a new system, no off season to speak of, behind a talent deficient O-line. The hill to climb for us is a big one, and to expect much different is kind of setting yourself up for disappointment.

I was not a fan of the game plan yesterday, especially on offense. Now that may not have been the play calling directly, it could have been a lack of execution, but I feel like we just kind of dug our feet in. It wasn't til the game was basically out of hand that we did a lot more of the effective stuff. RPO style looks, screens, quick slants, stuff to get the ball out of Haskins' hand fast and in the hands of playmakers. The run game looked BETTER yesterday, but still not where it needs to be.

I'm starting to wonder if River and Turner KNOW this is rebuilding year, so they're treating some of these games / series like it's preseason. They're doing things, calling plays, running looks to develop certain aspects of the player. Liken it to a pitcher in spring training. Max Scherzer knows he is good at his fastball, so he may throw slider's more frequently than he usually does because he wants to develop those pitches. Sometimes those pitches get squared up and hits / HRs are a result... but the ultimate point is the long game... developing the slider. I wonder if that's what Rivera and Turner are doing... it was like they had 2 different playbooks yesterday. Haskins has the ability to move, and he's not doing it... Is that him, or is that the staff saying "don't worry, you're not going to get benched if you throw incompletions, stay in there and make the reads."

I'm kind of babbling, but the gameplan just has me a bit perplexed.

I honestly don't think you're far from the truth ST.

Rivera has been upfront in saying that he doesn't think we'll see the true product of what this team can be till next year. I think he's well aware that we have no true 2nd WR threat, that we have no-name TE's and our Oline is dragging us down.
I think that's also why he challenged Haskins to refine his leadership and decision making. In a year like this, those things are more important in many respects than how many yards or completions he gets. The more I see from Haskins, the more I think he'll be fine when we put decent pieces around him. WR's that can break coverage consistently, an Oline that can protect him, a decent TE as a safety valve and a serious dual threat RB (which I think Gibson can be tbh!).

It's true were' only 2 games in, but he still has zero Interceptions... which considering how fast he's having to launch those balls out of the pocket is frankly some sort of miracle.

I find myself fine waiting for next year to see where we truly stand. Its clear that we have A LOT of needs in this years draft and off season.

Haskins has a window here to lob a corner route, or even earlier in the play to fire it as Mclaurin is around the 5. I think he saw him but hesitated. As Haskins grows this is the type of instinctual thing that comes with game speed experience. It's easy for us to sit up and see replays over and over and say 'coulda shoulda woulda' but on the field he needs to continue to develop and the game will slow down.

Also not a huge fan of play action / 5 step drop here. As I've mentioned in other threads, it's almost like they WANT to put Haskins in these positions so he can work on them. Coming off a turnover, in the redzone, having Haskins turn his back to the line in play action is a longer developing drop back that makes it more difficult for Haskins to get his head around and diagnose the defense... It would make more sense to me if Gruden and Turner have seen that this particular thing is something Haskins has struggled with, so they called this particular play in this position to get him a rep. There are a couple plays I likely would have called before this one... but that's just me.

Not much new to add here except I think what we’ve seen the first 2 games is what we should expect. Defense will have its moments and against lesser opponents that may be enough to eke out some wins. But with a sieve and poor run blocking OL, our offense is going to struggle against good defenses. I like that Haskins is not giving up and continuing to grind and playing better in 2nd halves, but he can’t continue to come out shaky and sluggish. I understand his production doesn’t happen in a vacuum and he needs protection and a lot of help to be successful. I look at him basically as a rookie. Almost everything about this team is new and we are just going to have to take our lumps for awhile and hope in the next couple of drafts/FA periods they commit the resources to build a dominant OL as well as strengthen the middle and back end of the defense.

Some quick notes from the video....

0:18 - McLaurin has a shot at a TD but the pocket falls apart.

0:30 - Again, McLaurin wins and a big gain is possible, again pocket not there and ball is out quick to Inman

0:40 - GREAT read by Haskins. Peterson comes on a corner blitz and Haskins throws right at it. McLaurin wide open.

1:20 - McLaurin wins again over the middle, Big gain. Could have been bigger if Haskins lets it rip sooner. Had McLaurin gotten the ball as he was hitting the left hashmark... who knows. He's still able to turn up field and make a guy miss which is good.

1:40 (TD) - Haskins ever so slightly looks to his right, you barely see his head bob, and identifies man to man, single high safety. He knows where he's going with the ball already. Catch and snap throw, McLaurin catches it in space and speed takes over. Bad angle by the safety and by the time he realizes it, it's too late.

1:50 - Again wins at the line, blows by the DB and is in the clear by a step. Has to fade to the outside to make a diving / falling attempt at a catch along the sideline. This is where Haskins will be able to develop the most instinctively. He likely throws this ball to the outside to put it where only McLaurin can make a play. Thing is there is no safety over the top. The safety was in a backpedal when that ball is thrown, he's not going to make a play on the ball straight down the numbers. I throw that ball INSIDE and let Terry run under it where he can focus on the field better. Minor tweak changes a long incompletion into a TD.

Just some observations, I welcome feedback :)

When I opened this thread today, it showed this post. This was so true.
Sometimes I hate being right. 🙁

But I was also expecting we wouldn't and would lose so it was a lower stress game then the Eagles. Still gave away some great opportunities that could have changed the game which sucked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.